[comp.compression] ARJ and patents

robjung@world.std.com (Robert K Jung) (04/25/91)

In reference to a posting concerning avoiding ARJ like the plague, let
me clarify the patent issue.   The ARJ 2.00 compression mechanism has
been designed to be compatible with a myriad of LZ77 sliding window
compressors.  Therefore, it is entirely possible to build an archiver
completely compatible with the ARJ format without coming within MILES
of the ARJ 2.00 mechanism.  In fact, that is what ARJ 1.10 is.  ARJ 1.10
uses the public domain compressor in AR002.  And it is completely
compatible with ARJ archives.

There is NOTHING in UNARJ that is proprietary to me.  It is just a
good decompressor.  Unlike UNIX COMPRESS which uses a patented compressor
and a patented decompressor, the UNARJ decompressor is not patentable as
far as I can tell.  The patentable mechanism in LZ77 mechanisms
usually involves the string searching mechanism.  This mechanism usually
does not affect the decompression operation.

ARJ 2.00 is just a slightly faster way to do LZ77 windows.

And I make no special claims to the ARJ archive format.

I hope that the fact that you can build ARJ compatible archivers with
public domain algorithms eases people's concerns about using the ARJ
format.

Sincerely,
Robert K Jung  (robjung@world.std.com)

In article <1991Apr25.004117.20744@world.std.com> robjung@world.std.com (Robert K Jung) writes:
>good decompressor.  Unlike UNIX COMPRESS which uses a patented compressor
>and a patented decompressor, the UNARJ decompressor is not patentable as

Patented compressor, perhaps.  The decompression algorithm is so simple that
I think it wasn't even described in the paper.  Is it in the patent?

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) (04/25/91)

<see ref> robjung@world.std.com (Robert K Jung) writes:

>The patentable mechanism in LZ77 mechanisms
>usually involves the string searching mechanism.

Oh, goody, are you now telling us you are trying to patent a longest
string match algorithm? This is even worse!!

oz

Actually, there's a strange benefit to all these patents on specific
compression methods.

They seem to be encouraging lots of development of superior compression
methods.   Without the patents, there would be little incentive to make
methods that are just a tiny bit better or a tiny bit faster.  Now there
is -- and the cumulative tiny bits add up.