[comp.compression] LZRW1: Sirius IP address.

ross@spam.ua.oz.au (Ross Williams) (04/25/91)

Recently I posted a message giving an anonymous FTP site
where code for my lzrw1 algorithm could be found.
Unfortunately I forgot to give the IP address of the machine
and so I have had many requests for it.

The IP address of sirius.itd.adelaide.edu.au is 129.127.40.3

For those who came in late, the files are in
pub/misc/lzrw1.c and .../lzrw1.68000

Ross.
ross@spam.ua.oz.au

simon@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Simon Hackett) (04/28/91)

ross@spam.ua.oz.au (Ross Williams) writes:

>Recently I posted a message giving an anonymous FTP site
>where code for my lzrw1 algorithm could be found.
>Unfortunately I forgot to give the IP address of the machine
>and so I have had many requests for it.

>The IP address of sirius.itd.adelaide.edu.au is 129.127.40.3

I felt like the following was worth saying. Please feel free
to ignore this if you don't agree, I'm not trying to start
anyone flaming anyone - I just hope that at least a few people
gain some useful info from the following:

For the benefit of those people who asked for sirius' IP address,
you should also go and ask your system administrator why using the
name didn't work for you...it should, on any reasonably modern unix
(or vms) system, and on all the PC and mac telnet/ftp programs I've
ever seen (if properly configured).

If your system can't (or won't) support using the domain name system
for name-to-number translations automatically, you should see if you have
the "nslookup" utility installed on your system (which does these
lookups manually).

Using the names is _always_ preferable to using the numbers. Then when
we move our numbers around, the world doesn't shift for all our users.

We now return you to your normal programming...

Cheers,
        Simon Hackett
        Adelaide Uni
        shackett@sirius.itd.adelaide.edu.au