[comp.compression] Want prog. to decompress Z files.

harper@pembvax1.bitnet (05/03/91)

--
=====================I speak for myself ONLY!!================================
Eric Harper                      |  Remember:

nautilus@nuge111.its.rpi.edu (John M Twilley) (05/03/91)

On a Unix machine, just type 'uncompress file.Z'.

--
|John M. Twilley  (Nautilus)|"Electricity is the dangerous|Disclaimer: Take|
|Internet:  nautilus@rpi.edu| stuff in an extension cord."|what I say with |

mauler@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (05/17/91)

In article <=43g8l@rpi.edu>, nautilus@nuge111.its.rpi.edu (John M Twilley) writes:
> On a Unix machine, just type 'uncompress file.Z'.

How about an MSDOS-based machine?  I doubt anyone using a Unix-based machine
really needs to ask about "compress".

> --
> |John M. Twilley  (Nautilus)|"Electricity is the dangerous|Disclaimer: Take|
> |Internet:  nautilus@rpi.edu| stuff in an extension cord."|what I say with |
> |BITNet:   Nautilus@RPITSMTS|(paraphrased from S. Dorner) |a grain of salt.|

Leo Mauler
mauler@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May17.040236.30844@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mauler@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>In article <=43g8l@rpi.edu>, nautilus@nuge111.its.rpi.edu (John M Twilley) writes:
>> On a Unix machine, just type 'uncompress file.Z'.
>
>How about an MSDOS-based machine?  I doubt anyone using a Unix-based machine
>really needs to ask about "compress".

For example /pc/unix/comp430d.zip, available at ftp sites including
ours.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May17.040236.30844@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mauler@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>In article <=43g8l@rpi.edu>, nautilus@nuge111.its.rpi.edu (John M Twilley) writes:
>> On a Unix machine, just type 'uncompress file.Z'.
>>

>How about an MSDOS-based machine?  I doubt anyone using a Unix-based machine
>really needs to ask about "compress".

Compress -u, in that case. Do you need an MS-DOS version?

Jean-Pierre Radley   Unix in NYC   jpr@jpr.com   jpradley!jpr   CIS: 72160,1341

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/27/91)

:
>>How about an MSDOS-based machine?  I doubt anyone using a Unix-based machine
>>really needs to ask about "compress".
>
>Compress -u, in that case. Do you need an MS-DOS version?

An extract from /pc/ts/tsfaq21.arc Frequently Asked Questions:

From: ts@uwasa.fi
Subject: MsDos compress for .Z files, etc
Date: Sat 18 May 00:00:23 1991

23. *****
 Q: Where can I find compress for MsDos to handle .Z files?

 A: Unix has compress, uncompress and zcat programs to pack or
unpack files which are given the .Z extension. These files can also
be handled under MsDos using for example /pc/unix/comp430d.zip,
which is available from anonymous FTP sites like garbo.uwasa.fi,
SIMTEL20, etc.
   There is one useful trick if you uncompress on MsDos such text
files that have been made on Unix with compress. Unix and MsDos have
different eolns (end of lines). You can extract a Unix compressed
text file as follows
      comp430d -d -c YourZFile | unix2pc > YourOutputFile
where unix2pc.exe is taken from /pc/ts/tsfilt17.arc (or whatever is
the current verion number).
   While we are at it let's look at two similar questions of MsDos
counterparts for Unix file handling. Uuencoding and uudecoding is a
common method to handle files so that they can be sent as ordinary
ascii email. There are several utilities for uu(en/de)coding files
on a PC in our /pc/decode directory. One that I can recommend in
uuexe413.zip, which has an option to use formats like the one
employed in the comp.binaries.ibm.pc binary postings.
   Yet another often queried counterpart for Unix is tar for MsDos.
I have not used this option myself, but our directory /pc/unix
should have something on this.