[comp.compression] StuffIt<->IBM

rbennett@loki.une.oz.au (Robert Bennetts) (05/25/91)

	Hi...

	I have access to some sound files from a Macintosh which have been
BinHexed with StuffIt.
	I am wondering if there is any way to UnBinHex them on an Ms-Dos machine, because I don't have access to a MAC or StuffIt.
	I am of course assuming that StuffIt is some kind of MAC compression    program, although I amo not really sure.
	So, are there any programs for IBM compatibles that will convert StuffIt files to some format for IBM, and if there are, were might I be able to FTP    them.
	Please could someone explain what StuffIt is if it is not what I think  it is.
	Thanks very much in advance..
		Ross Bennetts..
			rbennett@loki.une.oz.au

mrhoten@neon.Stanford.EDU (Matthew Paul Rhoten) (05/26/91)

In article <1531@loki.une.oz.au>
rbennett@loki.une.oz.au (Robert Bennetts) writes:
][...]
]	So, are there any programs for IBM compatibles that will convert
]StuffIt files to some format for IBM, and if there are, were might I be
]able to FTP    them.
]	Please could someone explain what StuffIt is if it is not what I
]think  it is.
][...]
]			rbennett@loki.une.oz.au

 Stuffit was a shareware Macintosh program (which recently went commercial)
for compression/decompression of files. It also processes files into and out
of binhex format. Binhex is another program (independent of Stuffit) similar
in function to uuencode. That is, it takes binary files and turns them into
text files suitable for mailing and such. Stuffit is often used by users to
de-binhex files for use on the Macintosh, because it's a little more lenient
about extra headers and such.
 I believe the sources for binhex are available for anonymous ftp, though I
am not certain of this. If you'd like a program to run on a PC-compatible,
you can look for them. I know for certain that there is a program which will
run on BSD systems to do binhex/binary conversions. The program is called
"mcvert", and is available for anonymous ftp from sumex.stanford.edu, in the
directory info-mac/unix. (The numerical address of sumex is 36.44.0.6.)
There are other programs in the same directory for other types of file format
conversions; I have only used mcvert, and can attest it works quite well.
 Hope this is what you wanted.
 -matt

--
Matt Rhoten             | PO Box 10031       | Standard disclaimers apply.
mrhoten@cs.stanford.edu | Stanford, CA 94309 | (415) 497-2853 | veni vidi vomui

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (05/27/91)

mrhoten@neon.Stanford.EDU (Matthew Paul Rhoten) writes:

   In article <1531@loki.une.oz.au>
   rbennett@loki.une.oz.au (Robert Bennetts) writes:

   ]	So, are there any programs for IBM compatibles that will convert
   ]StuffIt files to some format for IBM, and if there are, were might I be
   ]able to FTP    them.

    I believe the sources for binhex are available for anonymous ftp, though I
   am not certain of this. If you'd like a program to run on a PC-compatible,
   you can look for them. I know for certain that there is a program which will
   run on BSD systems to do binhex/binary conversions. The program is called
   "mcvert", and is available for anonymous ftp from sumex.stanford.edu, in the
   directory info-mac/unix. (The numerical address of sumex is 36.44.0.6.)

There's also this UNIX utility called unsit that unstuffs the
files you get out of fcnvt into data, resource and info files.
You'll want the data file for SoundMaster sounds, and the resource
file (you'll have to trim it since it contains lots of other junk)
for "snd " resources.

Dunno where you can find unsit, but sumex is a good place, as is
definately rascal.ics.utexas.edu.

--
						Jon W{tte
						h+@nada.kth.se

jhannah@netcom.COM (Jamal Hannah) (06/03/91)

In article <1531@loki.une.oz.au> rbennett@loki.une.oz.au (Robert Bennetts) writes:

>	Hi...
>
>	I have access to some sound files from a Macintosh which have been
>BinHexed with StuffIt.
>	I am wondering if there is any way to UnBinHex them on an Ms-Dos machine, because I don't have access to a MAC or StuffIt.
>	I am of course assuming that StuffIt is some kind of MAC compression    program, although I amo not really sure.
>	So, are there any programs for IBM compatibles that will convert StuffIt files to some format for IBM, and if there are, were might I be able to FTP    them.
>	Please could someone explain what StuffIt is if it is not what I think  it is.
>	Thanks very much in advance..
>		Ross Bennetts..
>			rbennett@loki.une.oz.au

The Macintosh now supposrts the "Audio IFF" file format.. more or less
the IFF format one see's used on the Amiga and perhaps the Atari ST for
sound, images and animation.  If you have a way of playing Audio IFF
files then you can probly get sounds from the Mac to play on your IBM
machine alot esier than using Macintosh "snd " resourses or files.
| Jamal Hannah   | Internet: jhannah@netcom.com                            |
|                |                           UUCP: ..!apple!netcom!jhannah |