[comp.compression] What exactly does a patent cover???

slf@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Stewart Forster) (06/26/91)

Hi,

	Having doodled with compression algorithms for the last two years,
I have come up with a few ideas which I thought were original, and at least
one still is (to my knowledge).  Now I'm no expert on legal matters, but
quite often I seem to be hitting this brick wall of people saying "But that's
already been patented".

	What I want to know is what does this slug called "patent" cover.
Does it cover the idea or the implementation or what??  Does it mean that
everything from the concept of looking up strings in a dictionary, or
using arithmetic coding or huffman, or even all the way back to the
fundamentals of data compression itself.  If this is so, we all might not
be able to use data compression schemes because idea of compressing data
was first thought of Shannon (or whoever it was exactly).

	Let me take this idea a step further.  What if someone had patented
the idea of putting a motor on a four wheeled carriage.  If this guy had his
way, we would all still be driving his "idea" of what a "car" should be.
This is because, the patent is too restrictive and does not allow room for
advancement.

	The above example hasn't occurred, but it seems to be happening with
data compression schemes. eg. "I own the patent for looking up duplicate
strings ahead of the current position, and placing them into a dictionary".
This sort of broad based generalization can cover 1/4 of the possible data
compression schemes.  Why not take it one step further, eg. "I hold the patent
for the idea of using duplicated strings as a tool for data compression".
This can cover every Lempel-Ziv style data compressor, and every Markov model
higher than 0th order.

	So, if the the two above examples are ridiculously general, and we
specify some more, we are about to descend into the realm of implementation
specifics. eg " I own the patent of using hashing into a circular buffer to
find duplicated strings from the previous text, and then outputting the
length and position of that duplicated string".  This has two flaws which make
the patent either restricive or useless.  It is restrictive, because if I then
decided to use 0-order markov coding of the lengths and/or positions in the
circular buffer, am I breaching the patent stated above, because I have improved
compression with this new method, and while the fundamental idea is still the
same, the implementation to get to the coded output is more advanced.  This
relates to the car analogy 2 paragraphs above.

	Alternatively, the patent above is useless, because, what if I then
decided to implement looking up into the previous text, not as a circular buffer
with hashing, but as a modified Patricia trie, has Fiala and Greene have done.
Obviously the patent above doesn't cover this eventualaity, and if it were
generalized to do so, then we are back to the car analogy again.

	I am tired of trying to dodge peoples toes, and either I do some
stamping, or the very good algorithm(s) which I have already implemented will
go to waste just because a portion (or even 90% of them) is similar to what
other people have done (idea-wise, not necessarily implementation), but that
other extra bit is what provides the compression-performance/speed edge over
the original idea.

	Has Phil Katz patented his PKZip algorithm?  If he has, then we
should all have been able to see it by now, or is he scared of another
patent scam again, and that's why he is keeping the code so secret.  The
same probably goes for Robert Jung, with ARJ 2.00.

	Am I expecting too much, being a Unix user, and used to having
freely distributable source code to modify and redistribute as long as I
aknowledge the original author of the code.  This sort of environment
promotes advancement of ideas as these ideas come collectively from the
everyone in the world, rather than just one solitary patented mind.

Will someone please lay my battered soul to rest, it has been hitting too
many brick walls lately, some of which I pray are imaginary.  Should I just
remove my diligence from the world of compression, deplete the overall effort
going towards producing the best compression algorithm possible.  Or should
I just pound along and hope that anything I do come up with will hold it's
own in a court of law, when I'm no lawyer.

Patents are an ugly slug, especially when they inhibit experimental research.

					Stewart Forster.

--

			Stewart Forster    (slf@cs.mu.OZ.AU)

Any opinions are strictly my own, as if they weren't!

You should check any good textbook or introductory article on patents.

In article <9117710.2823@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU> slf@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Stewart Forster) writes:
> 	Let me take this idea a step further.  What if someone had patented
> the idea of putting a motor on a four wheeled carriage.  If this guy had his
> way, we would all still be driving his "idea" of what a "car" should be.

Patents only last 17 years.

> Patents are an ugly slug, especially when they inhibit experimental research.

If that's all you're worried about, stop worrying. Patents never apply
to use ``for the sole purpose of satisfying philosophical taste or
curiosity, or for instruction and amusement.'' If you're just playing
with a patented invention in your back yard trying to make it work
better, you're safe. Just don't try to sell it or give it to other
people to use.

---Dan