[comp.compression] WANTED: Mac Compression Formats!

chanel@mensa.usc.edu (chanel summers) (06/26/91)

I'd like to be able to access data being sent to me in one of the following
formats:

StuffIt (the new version)
Compactor
Self-Extracting Archive (SEA)

However, I have been unable to find any source code or format descriptions
for any of these compressors so that I can use or write an implementation on
either the PC or Unix.

Can anyone suggest a source for either a description of the files produced
by these three archivers, or (preferably) completed source code or PC apps
that will extract files.  Short of sending the archives to a Mac, extracting
there, and sending back (tedious, tedious, tedious ...) any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chanel

thom@sea.ieee.org (Thom Henderson) (06/27/91)

 # Self-Extracting Archive (SEA)

 # However, I have been unable to find any source code or format
 # descriptions for any of these compressors so that I can use or
 # write an implementation on either the PC or Unix.

In that one case on a PC, just run the thing.  Or use ARC or XARC on it.

--- Group 2.23
 * Origin: ystem Enhancement Associates  (107/517)
--
 Thom Henderson - Internet:  thom@sea.ieee.org

wcarroll@encore.com (Mr. New Dad) (06/27/91)

From thom@sea.ieee.org (Thom Henderson):

>  # Self-Extracting Archive (SEA)
>
> In that one case on a PC, just run the thing.  Or use ARC or XARC on it.

Uh, if it is a Mac SEA, it will be Mac (ie., 68000) code. I doubt it
will run very well on a PC.

And it was my impression that Compactor (now known as Compact Pro) uses
a proprietary compression format(algorithm?), so if it is a compactor
archive or sea, standard programs like ARC or XARC probably won't do
very much with it.

--
William R. Carroll   | "So we starve all the teachers, 	| The brain-dead
(Encore Computer,    |  and recruit more Marines, how	| should not be

dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) (06/28/91)

This is really about why compression techniques used by commonly used programs
are not publicly available.

In article <131516@jake.encore.com> wcarroll@encore.com (Mr. New Dad) writes:
 > And it was my impression that Compactor (now known as Compact Pro) uses
 > a proprietary compression format(algorithm?),

I do not know whether it is proprietary. If I receive a program through
electronic means (as Compactor did) there is no reason at all to not look
at the program and see what it does!  Same holds for UnstuffItDeluxe.  So
I know Compactors and StuffItDeluxes archive formats and unpack them
routinely on our Unix machines.  I think that (especially in the case of
StuffItDeluxe) not publicising (yup, I prefer British spelling) the format
of the archives is detrimental to the performance, and also to the
acknowledgement to the efforts of the people finding the algorithms.
With StuffItDeluxe and Compactor we have just two examples of the cases
involved.
1.  Compactor.  Uses LZ77 followed by Huffman encoding the tokens.  Uses a
		*very* clever scheme to transmit the Huffman table.  The
		people involved in it should be known for what they have
		done.  So why does Bill Goodman not make the format public?
2.  StuffItDeluxe.
		The *BEST* format uses LZ77 followed by adaptive Huffman
		encoding the tokens.  Alas, they use the very first
		implementation of adaptive Huffman.  (I do not have the
		reference ready, but if you look up adaptive Huffman and
		trace back to the very first article on the subject, there
		is your reference!)  The problem is that that implementation
		is not very efficient (rather extremely inefficient) there
		are later implementations that are much more efficient.
		So why does Raymond Lau not make the format public?
Although Raymond Lay with his initial implementations of StuffIt (with
full documentation of the archive format) made a tremendous effort, he
did not so very good with the later implementations.  I see only one
reason to not make public the archive format: locking in your customers.
(Where is the description of the archive format of Diamond?, Disk Doubler?)
If for some reason you loose access to a Macintosh you will be unable to
retrieve your archived data.

In my opinion it is always a good thing to document the internal structure
of the archives:
    People will be able to extract the contents, even if they do not have
    access to a machine where an official extractor exists.  They can write
    programs to do it.

So, if Bill Goodman or Raymond Lau are reading this (or one of their
representatives), what is the reason for the non-disclosure?
As far as I know all PC archivers have publicly available (in source)
de-archivers (I may be wrong here of course).
Furthermore, even if you make the format public this does not mean that
you make public the particular algorithm used!
--
For if I might need a disclaimer here:  this is my opinion.
dik@cwi.nl

shores@fergvax.unl.edu (Shores) (06/29/91)

In <3777@charon.cwi.nl> dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) writes:

>I know Compactors and StuffItDeluxes archive formats and unpack them
>routinely on our Unix machines.

You could do everyone in the Macintosh community a tremendous favor if
you'd post your accomplishments!

   Tom... Tommy... Thomas... the Tom-ster, the Tom-boy, the Tomminator...
   ... Tom Shores, Department of Mathematics, University of Nebraska.
   ... shores@fergvax.unl.edu

dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) (06/30/91)

In article <shores.678153381@fergvax> shores@fergvax.unl.edu (Shores) writes:
 > In <3777@charon.cwi.nl> dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) writes:
 > >I know Compactors and StuffItDeluxes archive formats and unpack them
 > >routinely on our Unix machines.
 > You could do everyone in the Macintosh community a tremendous favor if
 > you'd post your accomplishments!
Will do.  The code still needs some polishing and weeding out some bugs.
dik@cwi.nl