[rec.hunting] Hunting Ethics vs. Hunting Morality

crs@beta.lanl.gov (Charlie Sorsby) (03/14/91)

From: crs@beta.lanl.gov (Charlie Sorsby)
My main reason for this message is to request a clarification about
the group's charter.

> This is an introduction to rec.hunting...  The charter for the group
> is
>
> 	Charter: rec.hunting is to cover all aspects of hunting excepting the
> 	moral arguments about the nature of hunting.  Various topics include
	^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
> 	equipment, tactics, regulations, and just about anything else.
>
> The group is moderated.  The moderator will reject all postings that
> discuss moral arguments related to hunting.
	  ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

I know the moral arguments that you mean and agree 100 percent.
*But,* I hope that doesn't preclude discussion of hunter ethics.
In my opinion, hunter ethics is one of the most important topics
that we can discuss.  We must make every effort to make *every*
hunter and *ethical* hunter--yes, I know that is impossible but we
must try--or we will be our own worst enemy with respect to the
privilege of hunting.  And, make no mistake about it, hunting, as
driving is, at least in the eyes of those who regulate it, a
privilege.  Too great an incidence of unethical behavior among
hunters and we will lose it...

Best,

Charlie Sorsby						"I'm the NRA!"
	crs@lanl.gov

[Moderator's note: Hunting ethics is certainly a valid topic of
discussion.  We should share any comments and suggestions related to
tracking wounded game, turning in poachers, and the like...]