[rec.hunting] Questions

tomfal@tr6.wes.army.mil (Tom Faller) (03/13/91)

From: tomfal@tr6.wes.army.mil (Tom Faller)
I've got a quick couple of questions: is there a bolt-action or lever action
rifle in 7.62x39 (.30 Russian Short - the AK round)? How about a single-shot
pistol? I'd heard that pistols were being held off the market because the
predominant AK ammo is the import, steel-cored type, which would result in
an "armor-piercing" pistol round. Is there a precedent from the early days
of lever-action and semi-auto rifles, when a round was made specifically for
a new type of action, not explicitly for hunting, but later saw a lot of
hunting done with that round? I'm thinking of the .30-06, and the early
European calibers as the transition from muzzle- and breech- loaders to
cased ammo repeaters. Also, wasn't the .223 the poor cousin of the .222 Magnum
until autoloaders took off?

One last question: has anyone had any experience hunting with a Desert Eagle
in .44 Mag? A friend just got one, and is considering spare barrel lengths
and optical sights.

Tom Faller

ghm@uunet.UU.NET (Geoff Miller) (03/14/91)

From: munnari!ccadfa.cc.adfa.OZ.AU!ghm@uunet.UU.NET (Geoff Miller)

tomfal@tr6.wes.army.mil (Tom Faller) writes:
>I've got a quick couple of questions: is there a bolt-action or lever action
>rifle in 7.62x39 (.30 Russian Short - the AK round)?
I think I recall a write-up on a Chinese one.  Check with a dealer who
handles Norinco firearms.

Geoff Miller  (ghm@cc.adfa.oz.au)
Computer Centre, Australian Defence Force Academy