[rec.hunting] Gun Question

JJD118@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (John Donovan) (03/14/91)

From: John Donovan <JJD118@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>
I don't have alot of $$ to spend on a weapon but here is what I would like to
do:  I would like to hunt deer ( I Live in PA) and would also like to do some
small game (not birds).  Would my best bet be get a shotgun and use slugs
for the deer, or get a cheep deer gun like a used 30-30 or the like and then
get a .22 for the small game?  Are there other options like a .223 or .243?
Or will a .2223 or .243 destroy too much meat? any suggestions will be
very helpfull.  Post them here if they could be of group intrest or
else E-mail them to me.

                          - John
JJD118@PSUVM
JJD118.PSUVM.PSU.EDU

crs@beta.lanl.gov (Charlie Sorsby) (03/15/91)

From: crs@beta.lanl.gov (Charlie Sorsby)
As Robert Ruark said, "Use enough gun!"

John Donovan <JJD118@PSUVM.PSU.EDU> enquired about possible choices
of firearm for deer and small-game hunting (not birds).  One of the
options that he enquired about is the possibility of using the
0.223 or 0.243 for double duty.  I would like to address this part
of his question first and then make my recommendation.

I'm afraid that I'm very opinionated about this subject.  As far as
I'm concerned, the 0.223 is *not* now, never was, and never will be a
deer cartridge.

It is quite true that a deer *can* be killed with the cartridge
under the right conditions.  A deer can be killed with a .22
rimfire or, for that matter, a knife tied to a stick under the
*right* *conditions*.  That doesn't mean that we should do it.  The
0.243 class of cartridges is, in my opinion, the *minimum* suitable
for deer-size game, indeed *it* is marginal for large deer and
inadequate for the really large members of the deer family such as
elk.

While John's query is about how to hunt deer and small game on a
limited budget, there is a subset of hunters who seem to believe
that it is more "sporting" to use undersized cartridges for the
quarry at hand.  I believe that this is *false* sportsmanship.
It may be more challenging for the hunter, but it is the game that
suffers when the hunter fails to pull it off.

I hope that this will not be taken as a flame against John.  It is
not so intended.

I guess that more detail is needed to make any valid recommendation
as to what *is* appropriate.  (I've already made *my* recommendation
as to what is *not.*)

As to the suitability of either of the mentioned cartridges for
*small* game, I suppose that it may be possible to hand load light
loads for the purpose but I don't know for sure.  In any event, to
do that you will need to buy reloading equipment and I believe
that, to get started, you will be better served by using that money
to buy a better gun.  Reloading can come later if you like.

Hitting a running cottontail or other rabbit with a rifle of any
kind is challenging, perhaps to the point of being frustrating.  If
small game includes rabbit, perhaps a shotgun is a more appropriate
place to start.

Because the real query is "What can I buy with limited funds to
allow me to hunt both deer and small game?," my suggestion is the
shotgun.  At reasonably close range, a shotgun with slugs is
suitable for deer and with shot it is a fine small-game gun.  And,
while you say "not birds" now, that option is still open.  I
believe there may be grouse, pheasant, and, perhaps quail, in your
neck of the woods.  Try it you may like it.  Later, as funds become
available, you can expand your armory to include center-fire rifles
for big game, perhaps a .22 for squirrels and, maybe, rabbits (using
the the moving target techniques that you should have developed with
your shotgun by then :).

While my preference in shotguns is doubles, all things considered,
my recommendation for this purpose is a pump gun.  If funds permit,
perhaps the Remington 870 (or, they also once made a lower cost
version--non-walnut stock, less well finished, but essentially the
same action--sorry I don't recall the model number).  For your
purpose, I recommend interchangeable barrels (not necessarily
screw-in chokes, although they are something to consider).  With
interchangeable barrels, later you can buy a slug barrel with
sights for deer more cheaply than you can buy another gun.  For
now, a regular shotgun barrel either with screw-in chokes or with
fairly open choke (does anyone know the tightest choke recommended
for slugs?).

A word of caution:  If you do go for the Remington line, it has
changed rather a lot in recent years.  Make sure that replacement
barrels are still available for the gun you choose, especially if
you buy a second-hand gun.

Well!  This is far too long--diarrhea of the keyboard.  I hope
there aren't too many typos.

Best,

Charlie Sorsby						"I'm the NRA!"
	crs@lanl.gov

wiggs@byron.u.washington.edu (James Wiggs) (03/15/91)

From: wiggs@byron.u.washington.edu (James Wiggs)

In article <333@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> JJD118@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (John Donovan) writes:
>From: John Donovan <JJD118@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>
>I don't have alot of $$ to spend on a weapon but here is what I would like to
>do:  I would like to hunt deer ( I Live in PA) and would also like to do some
>small game (not birds).  Would my best bet be get a shotgun and use slugs
>for the deer, or get a cheep deer gun like a used 30-30 or the like and then
>get a .22 for the small game?  Are there other options like a .223 or .243?
>Or will a .2223 or .243 destroy too much meat? any suggestions will be
>very helpfull.  Post them here if they could be of group intrest or
>else E-mail them to me.

   First, I have to ask you a question.  Are you equipped to do any
reloading?  It seems unlikely, since you appear to be asking about
buying a first weapon, but just in case...
   If you are set up to do any reloading, I would suggest buying the
best gun you can afford in a caliber no smaller than .243--I own a
6mm Rem--and you will have no problems with deer.  You can then load
light loads for use on small game.  For squirrels, rabbits, and the
like, I use either a Lyman 85 gr cast bullet w/ gas check or the
Sierra 85 gr hollow point boattail.  This slug is built with a very
thin jacket--it is meant for varmint shooting--so it will expand
nicely even when downloaded.  I don't have my loading manuals here,
so I'm not going to quote the actual loads, but I will suggest that
you can find good light loads for *jacketed* bullets in some back
issues of American Rifleman or Guns&Ammo.  Can anyone here remember
the actual issues?  They were in the summer of '90, as I recall...
Any good loading manual will have loads for cast bullets.
   If you are not set up for reloading, I would suggest going with
the shotgun and using slugs for deer.  In PA, you aren't likely to
be taking any really long shots, so this should be adequate.  Unless
you're really a crack shot or a very good stalker, a shotgun will
improve your chances on the small game over a 22.  Also, one good
shotgun will cost less than buying both a high-power rifle and a 22,
if they are going to be of any reasonable quality.

>                          - John
>JJD118@PSUVM
>JJD118.PSUVM.PSU.EDU

James Wiggs
wiggs@chemc2.chem.washington.edu _or_ wiggs@milton.u.washington.edu
#include <std.disclaimer>
"I guess we can't make fun of Burt's lifestyle anymore."  - Valentine McKee

cassman@athena.mit.edu (Baby Killer) (03/16/91)

From: cassman@athena.mit.edu (Baby Killer)
>small game (not birds).  Would my best bet be get a shotgun and use slugs
>for the deer, or get a cheep deer gun like a used 30-30 or the like and then
>get a .22 for the small game?

Check your local hunting laws to see what is legal to hunt with.

If only shotguns are allowed, go with a 12ga. -- reloadable in a variety
of ways (birdshot to slugs) with light to heavy powder charges.

If you can use a rifle, I recommend a used 30'06 or .308. Both are readily
available, and the ammo for them is available in a range of bullet weights
that can be used for almost anything from varmints to elk. The reason
that I don't go for the .243 as readily is that it may be too limiting
for you if you decide to go after quarry larger than deer.

Every hunter should own a good .22 rifle for practice / small game. The
.22 is very cheap to shoot.

       ...and then the blood returned to my brain...