[rec.hunting] Hunting your own land

priore@acc.stolaf.edu (03/15/91)

From: priore@acc.stolaf.edu
Hello out there to everyone on rec.hunting! I am curious about an issue that
really irritates me; and would like to know how everyone else feels about it,
and what the law is in their particular state.
Here's the story. I own and live on close to 60 acres of rugged wooded prooperty.,
in rural southeastern Minnesota. The state of MN says that I can only hunt my
own land without a license for the following game;rabbits,squirrels,fox,grouse,
and raccoon. BUT; if I wish to hunt pheasant, deer, ducks, geese, or turkey I
must pay the full license fee. And of course I can't tell you how many times
I have been denied a doe permit or lost out in the turkey lottery. Now the kickekeke
r is, is that I set out mineral blocks, and cracked corn for the deer and turks
so that they'll pull through the winter. This of course is all out of my own
pocket. My property taxes are $475 a year and I get nothing for them, since I
don't have children, have to pay my own water and sewer, my own garbage pickup,
and my own snowplowing. The sheriff told us that we would have to defend our-
selves since we were too remote for them to respond in any reasonable lenght of timf.
time. So my question out there is what are the rules in your state and how do
you feel in general about landowners getting double whammied?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Cordially, Charlie

mac@cis.ksu.edu (Myron A. Calhoun) (03/16/91)

From: mac@cis.ksu.edu (Myron A. Calhoun)
In <357@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> priore@acc.stolaf.edu writes:

>.... I own and live on close to 60 acres of rugged wooded property.,
>in rural southeastern Minnesota. The state of MN says that I can only hunt my
>own land without a license for the following game;rabbits,squirrels,fox,grouse,
>and raccoon. BUT; if I wish to hunt pheasant, deer, ducks....

I've not taken advantage of it, but Kansas has a special rule for
landowners.  Something like "If a landowner loses out on the archery,
blackpowder, and regular lotteries, then...."
There may be a minimum acreage requirement, but I don't remember.

>...kicker is, is that I set out mineral blocks, and cracked corn ....

Be careful that you don't open yourself up to a charge of "baiting"!
--Myron.
--
# Myron A. Calhoun, Ph.D. E.E.; Associate Professor   (913) 539-4448 home
#  INTERNET:  mac@cis.ksu.edu (129.130.10.2)                532-6350 work