[rec.hunting] Killing for "sport"

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (03/16/91)

From: cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz)
In article <349@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> cassman@athena.mit.edu (Baby Killer) writes:
>This is an open letter that is intended to "get things straight"
>before this news group gets out of line. I hope those who intend
>to read this news group post their comments or write to the
>moderator.
>
>How did a car advertisement get posted? Are "Sporting equipment" adds
>going to be next?

I dunno...

>The moderator wrote that he almost didn't post something that talked
>about the severe damage done to squirrels shot with a .357.

Hey, that was ME! :-)

>First, that post was clearly meant to be humorous (just like the one
>>from the guy that said 255gr. bullets gave hunters a "warm-fuzzy" feeling).
>Some people may not find these posts humorous, but I believe that they
>are not nearly severe enough to be edited (they weren't...yet).

Um, that was ME too. :-)  Yes, ikt was intened to be humour.  I will
include smileys in the future for the humour-impaired.

>I personally see nothing wrong with destroying PESTS with firearms or any
>other means (such as traps). In some areas, squirrels are indeed serious
>pests that invade attics, etc.. I wonder how many readers out there believe
>that there are such critters that can be killed (by whatever means- why not
>make it a sport?) and NOT eaten afterward. I don't agree with the "If you
>kill it, eat it" attitude.

Well, for game animals I think that it is wrong to shoot for sport
only.  It is just a terrible waste to kill an animal that can be eaten
and not do so.  When you think of the number of people starving around
the world, it is hard to justify leaving that meat on the ground.

As far as pests are concerned, I would agree with you.  From time to
time I get calls from a family friend who owns a cattle farm infested
with woodchucks.  The little critters dig holes all over the place and
the very stooopid cattle have a habit of stepping in them and causing
severe injury.  So in the past we have used an AR-15 and .22-250 to
shoot them.  The reason being that you cannot get very close to them
since they are VERY clever.  Well, needless to say, there is NOT
much left of a woodchuck after getting hit with a projectil travelling
at ~4000 fps.  Besides, I'm told they taste HORRIBLE.

>I understand that some people won't agree.  We can't go posting stuff like,
>"the squirrel exploded into a million pieces and it was really cool"; yet,
>I think that we don't want to be too restrictive about posting the effects
>of powerful bullets on animals.

Well, without going into a great deal of detail, the resulting mess
is not immediately identifiable.  :-)  <---big smiley there!

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |