[rec.hunting] So how do YOU cook squirrels?

ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) (03/13/91)

From: ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A)
     Somehow or other I have found myself committed to bring a squirrel
dish to an upcoming dinner.  My SOP has been to simply stew them like
any other meat.  I would like some alternatives.  A friend of mine does
casseroles; I would like to try something different.

     I only use handguns for hunting these little critters.  Previously I
have used a revolver with open sights, but I have been practicing this winter
with a Ruger Mk II plus Aimpoint.  I shoot much better groups on paper with
the Aimpoint; we shall soon see how that holds up in the field.

Philip Munts N7AHL
NRA Extremist, etc.
University of Alaska, Fairbanks

markb@Solbourne.COM (Mark Bradley) (03/14/91)

From: markb@Solbourne.COM (Mark Bradley)
In article <326@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) writes:

>From: ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A)
>     Somehow or other I have found myself committed to bring a squirrel
>dish to an upcoming dinner.  My SOP has been to simply stew them like
>any other meat.  I would like some alternatives.  A friend of mine does
>casseroles; I would like to try something different.

I heat up a frying pan, put in some olive oil and saute the hind legs.
Then, reduce the heat, deglaze the pan with some sherry, add some
shallots or green onions, reduce while adding some sliced carrots.
Thicken w/ a bit of flour and serve over wild rice or pasta.  A pinch
of sage is nice after the thickening is complete, too.  Salt and
pepper to taste.

							markb

PS:  Same recipe for chicken, rabbit, etc.  Although I like sour and
     sour rabbit better (sour vinegar, sour cream gravy).
--
Mark Bradley   (DoD#1100)		  Faster, faster, until the thrill
I/O Subsystems				of speed overcomes the fear of death.

cstacy@ai.mit.edu (Christopher C. Stacy) (03/14/91)

From: cstacy@ai.mit.edu (Christopher C. Stacy)

We just used to barbq them like chicken, out back on the grill.

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (03/14/91)

From: cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz)
In article <326@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) writes:

>From: ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A)
>     Somehow or other I have found myself committed to bring a squirrel
>dish to an upcoming dinner.  My SOP has been to simply stew them like
>any other meat.  I would like some alternatives.  A friend of mine does
>casseroles; I would like to try something different.
>
>     I only use handguns for hunting these little critters.  Previously I
>have used a revolver with open sights, but I have been practicing this winter
>with a Ruger Mk II plus Aimpoint.  I shoot much better groups on paper with
>the Aimpoint; we shall soon see how that holds up in the field.

Well, when I was a boy in Virginia, we used to shoot them fairly
accurately (and quite lethally) with wrist rockets (slingshots).
We cooked them like we cooked rabbits.  I think any rabbit recipe
should work just fine with squirrel since the meat seems to have a
similar consistency.

Oh yeah, every once in a while (usually after an Eastwood flick),
we'd dump the wrist rockets and use my .357 Ruger Blackhawk
(with a 8" barrel).  It was quite effective if the critter wasn't
moving, but you needed to get a head shot if you wanted to eat
the thing.  Otherwise, you just left a little red fog on the
ground.

Cheers,

Chris

p.s.  Perhaps, this should go to alt.tasteless as well? :-)

[Moderator's note:  It certainly should go to a.t.  As moderator, I
have very serious reservations about sending this post.  I finally
decided to post it as an example of the type of activities that are
clearly violations of hunting ethics.  Perhaps, later discussions will
present ideas on how to discourage this type of activity...]

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

danny@utkux1.utk.edu (Danny W. McCampbell) (03/15/91)

From: danny@utkux1.utk.edu (Danny W. McCampbell)
Depending on how much meat you have, I love to eat my squirrel roasted.
It is good and tender and just a little on the greasy side.  It is very
good though.  You might consider this idea.

Danny

Danny W. McCampbell
Computer Operator/Systems Analyst
UT Computing Center
*Jesus is Lord of All*

bcd@cis.ohio-state.edu (Bryan Dunlap) (03/15/91)

From: bcd@cis.ohio-state.edu (Bryan Dunlap)

In article <326@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) writes:

	Somehow or other I have found myself committed to bring a squirrel
   dish to an upcoming dinner.  My SOP has been to simply stew them like
   any other meat.  I would like some alternatives.  A friend of mine does
   casseroles; I would like to try something different.

My great-aunt has cooked squirrel and woodchuck hunted by my dad into
meat pies, which were wonderful.  Unfortunately, she is now wintering
in Florida, so I can't get a recipe from her for you.  If you can find
a decent cookbook that describes meat pies, you should be able to
adapt a recipe to squirrel, and then you'd have something quite
different.

--

Bryan Dunlap, OSU CIS IICF/LAIR      | Everything is controlled by a small evil
bcd@cis.ohio-state.edu  614/292-6350 | group to which, unfortunately, nobody we

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (03/16/91)

From: cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz)
In article <340@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

>From: cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz)

>Well, when I was a boy in Virginia, we used to shoot them fairly
>accurately (and quite lethally) with wrist rockets (slingshots).
>We cooked them like we cooked rabbits.  I think any rabbit recipe
>should work just fine with squirrel since the meat seems to have a
>similar consistency.

I take it that it was not this part of the posting that you took
issue with.

>Oh yeah, every once in a while (usually after an Eastwood flick),
>we'd dump the wrist rockets and use my .357 Ruger Blackhawk
>(with a 8" barrel).  It was quite effective if the critter wasn't
>moving, but you needed to get a head shot if you wanted to eat
>the thing.  Otherwise, you just left a little red fog on the
>ground.

This was a very tongue in cheek paragraph.  I suppose I should've
included a smiley for the humour impaired.

Just KIDDING folks!  Relax!

>Cheers,
>
>Chris
>
>p.s.  Perhaps, this should go to alt.tasteless as well? :-)

Yeah, I did send it there. :-)

>[Moderator's note:  It certainly should go to a.t.  As moderator, I
>have very serious reservations about sending this post.  I finally
>decided to post it as an example of the type of activities that are
>clearly violations of hunting ethics.  Perhaps, later discussions will
>present ideas on how to discourage this type of activity...]

See above.

.