[rec.hunting] FOR **** SALE *** 1973 INTERNATIONAL SCOUT

laurao%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET (Laura McD. Owens) (03/14/91)

From: "Laura McD. Owens" <laurao%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET>

304V8, power steering, cruise control, air conditioning,
8,000 lb. Warn winch, good condition, am/fm cassette player

$1,500 obo

Contact Laura Owens (w) 578-4002 or (h) 244-4268

cassman@athena.mit.edu (Baby Killer) (03/15/91)

From: cassman@athena.mit.edu (Baby Killer)
# From: "Laura McD. Owens" <laurao%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET>

# 304V8, power steering, cruise control, air conditioning,

This is an open letter that is intended to "get things straight"
before this news group gets out of line. I hope those who intend
to read this news group post their comments or write to the
moderator.

How did a car advertisement get posted? Are "Sporting equipment" adds
going to be next?

The moderator wrote that he almost didn't post something that talked
about the severe damage done to squirrels shot with a .357.
First, that post was clearly meant to be humorous (just like the one
>from the guy that said 255gr. bullets gave hunters a "warm-fuzzy" feeling).
Some people may not find these posts humorous, but I believe that they
are not nearly severe enough to be edited (they weren't...yet).

I personally see nothing wrong with destroying PESTS with firearms or any
other means (such as traps). In some areas, squirrels are indeed serious
pests that invade attics, etc.. I wonder how many readers out there believe
that there are such critters that can be killed (by whatever means- why not
make it a sport?) and NOT eaten afterward. I don't agree with the "If you
kill it, eat it" attitude.

I understand that some people won't agree.  We can't go posting stuff like,
"the squirrel exploded into a million pieces and it was really cool"; yet,
I think that we don't want to be too restrictive about posting the effects
of powerful bullets on animals.

   ... and then the blood returned to my brain ...

hunting@osnome.che.wisc.edu (rec.hunting moderator) (03/15/91)

From: rec.hunting moderator <hunting@osnome.che.wisc.edu>
   # From: "Laura McD. Owens" <laurao%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET>
   # 304V8, power steering, cruise control, air conditioning,

   This is an open letter that is intended to "get things straight"
   before this news group gets out of line. I hope those who intend
   to read this news group post their comments or write to the
   moderator.

I definitely agree.  I would like to hear people's comments on
general posting guidelines and especially the "vaporizing squirrels"
post. Any input that would help define the line between acceptable and
unacceptable would certainly be appreciated.

   How did a car advertisement get posted? Are "Sporting equipment" adds
   going to be next?

Sure.  "Rifle for sale" and "looking to buy a good used bow" seem like
valid topics to me.  I doubt that such articles would be numerous
enough to cause problems.  If readers of the group disagree, let me
know.  If there sufficient objection, I will reject such posts.

[...]

In the original post, I mentioned that I had problems with the post.
IMHO, it was on the border between "eliminating pests" and "vaporizing
animals just for fun".  Rather than reject the post, I posted it and
noted my reservations.

Again, I am asking for input.  This is YOUR group!  Just what do you
want it to include?

Tim Rigg (Moderator of rec.hunting)

crs@beta.lanl.gov (Charlie Sorsby) (03/16/91)

From: crs@beta.lanl.gov (Charlie Sorsby)
Tim,

I guess that I lean in the same direction as your comments in the
"vaporizing squirrels" post.  That the poster, later, posted a
clarification to the effect that it was a joke notwithstanding, I
think that such posts to a *public forum* are ill advised.

Even as we write and read here, anti-hunting groups are doing all
that they can to eliminate sport hunting.  I believe that we must
make a choice:  Do we want to make jokes that can be taken out of
context by our enemies and used against us or do we want to
continue being allowed to hunt?

Am I overdramatizing the situation?  Perhaps, but I doubt it.
Every time an uncommitted voter hears or reads such "jokes" there
is a good chance that he or she will join the camp of those who
consider all hunters to be beer-swilling, trash-leaving, road-sign-
shooting, butchers.

There is a saying about the police, as I recall, to the effect that
they must be better than ordinary citizens in order not to be
though worse.

I believe that hunters, indeed all those who use firearms, had
damned well better adopt that same philosophy before it's too late.
If that means reserving such jokes for *nonpublic* fora, then I say
so be it.

I don't want my sport taken away from me.

>    How did a car advertisement get posted? Are "Sporting equipment" adds
>    going to be next?
>
> Sure.  "Rifle for sale" and "looking to buy a good used bow" seem like
> valid topics to me.  I doubt that such articles would be numerous
> enough to cause problems.  If readers of the group disagree, let me
> know.  If there sufficient objection, I will reject such posts.

I agree about *occasional* advertisments of this type as long as
they don't drown out everything else.  As to the car ad, was
distribution of that one geographically restricted on the USENET
group?  I think in that case, it probably should have been.  In the
case of smaller things that can be shipped, I don't think that is
necessary although that may suggest another thing that should be
posted in a periodic faq post:

	For those just entering our sport who don't already
	know: Interstate shipment of firearms can only be
	between federally licensed dealers and, in any case,
	*all* such transfers must be in accordance of the laws
	of the state or states involved.

> In the original post, I mentioned that I had problems with the post.
> IMHO, it was on the border between "eliminating pests" and "vaporizing
> animals just for fun".  Rather than reject the post, I posted it and
> noted my reservations.

See above.

Best,

Charlie Sorsby						"I'm the NRA!"
	crs@lanl.gov

jsd@owlnet.rice.edu (Shawn Joel Dube) (03/16/91)

From: Shawn Joel Dube <jsd@owlnet.rice.edu>
In article <362@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> you write:

|> Sure.  "Rifle for sale" and "looking to buy a good used bow" seem like
|> valid topics to me.  I doubt that such articles would be numerous
|> enough to cause problems.  If readers of the group disagree, let me
|> know.  If there sufficient objection, I will reject such posts.

I disagree.  I think this group should be used for discussion and not
as a market.  If somebody wants to buy or sell, they should use
misc.forsale.

  Shawn Joel Dube        "Never before have so many people known
  jsd@owlnet.rice.edu     so little about so much." -James Burke

hale@UCSD.EDU (Bob Hale) (03/19/91)

From: btree!hale@UCSD.EDU (Bob Hale)
In article <375@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> jsd@owlnet.rice.edu (Shawn Joel Dube) writes:
>I disagree.  I think this group should be used for discussion and not
>as a market.  If somebody wants to buy or sell, they should use
>misc.forsale.

The group rec.guns occasionally carries for sale and wanted listings.
You might find that the size of the audience is larger in that group.

Bob Hale                        ...!ucsd!btree!hale
619-535-3234                    ...!btree!hale@ucsd.edu