[rec.hunting] Camouflage

roddy@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Brian Roddy) (03/15/91)

From: roddy@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Brian Roddy)

To start a discussion:
Any tips out there on proper camouflage for different types of hunting?

Brian

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (03/16/91)

From: cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz)
In article <348@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> roddy@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Brian Roddy) writes:
>To start a discussion:
>Any tips out there on proper camouflage for different types of hunting?

For deer, you won't need any since they are color blind.  You will,
however, have to be still since they are quite adept at detecting
movement.  Oh yeah, and leave the deodorant at home.  They are quite
adept at sniffing out/avoiding Right Guard as well. :-)

Cheers,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

jjh@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Jerod J. Husvar) (03/16/91)

From: jjh@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Jerod J. Husvar)
Roddy,

A very interesting point to consider when using camo. for hunting deer is
that deer cannot see in color... Which means that expensive camo gear is not
really a necessity...  Al that is needed is gear that breaks up you outline...
This works much better than trying to "blend in."  I usually wear a plaid
flannel shirt, with a good pattern of browns and greys.. as well as some red.

Works very well when coupled with black jeans.  you can also bleach lines
into the jeans for added break-up of your outline... but usually, you aren't
in any position where the deer is likely to see your lower body.

When the snow starts to fly, your best bet becomes white pants and a white
grey, and black top.

A good way to illustrate my point by the way...

have on friend take a color picture of you in your camo gear in position...
bamm... you can't be seen... now take the same picture with a black and white
film... you will stick out like a sore thumb... and deer see only black and
white.

Hope this helps!

--
|| Jerod J. Husvar             || Any opinions expressed here are mine alone,||
|| jjh@uhura.neoucom.edu       || AND YOU CAN'T HAVE THEM!!! :8^)            ||

v127mb2b@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Charles T Waterman) (03/19/91)

From: v127mb2b@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Charles T Waterman)

In article <363@erb1.engr.wisc.edu>, cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes...

>From: cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz)
>In article <348@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> roddy@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Brian Roddy) writes:
>>To start a discussion:
>>Any tips out there on proper camouflage for different types of hunting?
>
>For deer, you won't need any since they are color blind.  You will,
>however, have to be still since they are quite adept at detecting
>movement.  Oh yeah, and leave the deodorant at home.  They are quite
>adept at sniffing out/avoiding Right Guard as well. :-)
>
>Cheers,

	Well, I dont know who it was who originally stated that deer
are color blind, in a sense they nearly are, but they do have cones.
They can see that brite floresent orange, exspecialy if their is no
snow on the ground too help make it look less brite.  My personel
favorite is an old style red tweed weave.  I cant remember what its
called but its the dull red with thin black stripes.  I wear a brite
hat and gloves when walking but when sitting I change off to a duller
red or maroone.  I feel that real hunters dont shoot at targets they
cant see, and that someone who cant see me probably isnot going to hit
me.  As for that odd spent shell, well there was nothing you could do
about it anyway.  as long as you make sure that know one in the area
your hunting is happy about getting a couple of sound shots, you safe,
if they are people like that in your area move, or find out where they
intend to hunt and then go elsewhere
					Charles Waterman
ps: I hunt the southernteer of western newyork with shotguns.

rlp@druwa.ATT.COM (PrehnRL) (03/19/91)

From: rlp@druwa.ATT.COM (PrehnRL)

In article <364@erb1.engr.wisc.edu>, jjh@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Jerod J. Husvar) writes:

> From: jjh@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Jerod J. Husvar)
> Roddy,
>
> A very interesting point to consider when using camo. for hunting deer is
> that deer cannot see in color... Which means that expensive camo gear is not
> really a necessity...  Al that is needed is gear that breaks up you outline...
> This works much better than trying to "blend in."  I usually wear a plaid
> flannel shirt, with a good pattern of browns and greys.. as well as some red.

The bow-hunting magazines indicate that deer have good Ultra-Violet (UV)
vision.  The brighteners in many detergents can cause otherwise good camo
to stick out.  There are special soaps to eliminate this effect.
Check out any good archery shop.

Deer also tend to have their head down a lot while feeding and any motion
low down can also be readily caught. (In Colorado anyway, where there isn't
as much low growing foilage in the forests).  I've spent enough time trying
to get CLOSE to deer to learn this one.

 Robert Prehn      +-----------------------------------------------------------+
 AT&T Bell Labs    |     ____   _______   _____   _______                      |
 Room  1F50        |    / __ \ |__   __| /   _ \ |__   __|                     |
 11900 North Pecos |   | <__> |   | |    \  \ \_\   | |                        |
 Denver, Co  80234 |   |  __  |   | |    /   \ __   | |    THE           CHOICE|
        	   |   | |  | |   | |   |  (\ / /   | |                        |
 druwa!rlp         |   |_|  |_|   |_|    \_____/    |_|                        |
 (303) 538-4554    |                                                           |

bigmac@eng.umd.edu (Mike McDonald) (03/20/91)

From: bigmac@eng.umd.edu (Mike McDonald)
In article <348@erb1.engr.wisc.edu>, roddy@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Brian Roddy) writes:

> To start a discussion:
> Any tips out there on proper camouflage for different types of hunting?

Since deer are color blind, it really doesn't matter what colors you
wear-or wether you look like birch bark or a dense jungle (this always
makes me laugh when I see a guy in the woods wearing dark green camo.
and its late fall with no leaves around).  I have taken many a deer,
just wearing blue jeans and a plain dark jacket-most of these deer
were taken with a bow.  I guess that some of this camo. will break
your movement up, so this is one good feature of the stuff, although
if you just stand still, you can save alot of money.

Mike