[rec.hunting] MSRP vs. 'REAL' cost, was Re: B/A Rifles in 7.62x39mm

maf@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Mark A. Foster) (03/20/91)

From: bbx!therev!maf@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Mark A. Foster)
    [Note - I don't think this really belongs in rec.hunting, but I'll make
     one public pass at it.  I've directed follow-ups to e-mail.  Of course,
     that doesn't guarantee that the news software lurking out there follows
     the rules.  Mark]

In article <383@erb1.engr.wisc.edu>, cbl@uihepa.hep.uiuc.edu (Chris
Luchini) wrote:

> I do know that the Mini Mark X can be had for $250 out of Gun
> List.  (call 715 445 2214).  I have noticed that there is a larger
> and larger difference between the MSRP and the real price as
> time goes on. . . any clue as to why?

    OK.  "HERE, 715 445 2214.  C'MON BOY!!!!!!"  Damn.  Never could get
that to work.  You wanna give it a try???

    The issue of Gun List (out of date!!) I checked out shows one Mini Mark
X in .223 for $259 - used.  Most of the listings I've looked at in Gun List
are for used guns; MSRP is for new.  I'd tell you what the RedBook says,
but A) I can't find it, and B) It seems to have little bearing on or
contact with reality.  No flame intended, Chris - I've got nothing against
Gun List or used guns.  (Which is fortunate, since ALL the guns I own are
used, and I've seen some really good prices in Gun List.  Oops.  I lied.  I
sold myself a new gun.)

    As a retailer, I can't get a new Mini Mark X from a distributor at that
price, unless I can come up with the cash to buy in 100 or 1000 lots. In
fact, I can't even get the barrelled action for that little.

    I can think of one good reason [hmmm.  Make that a rational
explanation.  I'm not sure I'd call it good or reasonable] for the drift
between the MSRP and the actual retail price over time.  (It's amazing I
can think of ANY reasons, since I have no idea what Universe the
manufacturers pull their MSRP's from - certainly not the universe in which
I reside.  B-)  In order to get ANY kind of reasonable price break from a
distributor, I have to order a *buncha* guns.  My initial resale price for
them would start out near the MSRP, as I try to make back the many
kilobucks I had to spend to get a decent unit price for the guns.  As the
guns fail to move out of the store, I start dropping the price as an
incentive to customers.  (The technical term for this in retailing is
'desperation.')  The longer I hold onto the guns, the more it hurts me as a
retailer.  The only thing that will keep me in business is maintaining an
acceptable cash flow - good values in inventory won't pay my rent or my
insurance.

    Mark

    Mark A. Foster -> maf@therev.UUCP -> {backbone}!unmvax!bbx!therev!maf
                                   or -> bbx!therev!maf@unmvax.cs.unm.edu
                 National Gun Control - vote NO, vote NOW
       Call Bush at 202-456-1111, CongressCritters at 202-224-3121
     Defeat HR-7, S-257, HR-19, HR-282, HR-436, S-51, HR-750, et al.

"Are you so old that you've no childhood?
 Is your time line so unreal
 That all of your sunsets come in the morning?
 Baby, tell me, how do you feel?"