[rec.hunting] meat pies

averett@cs.unc.edu (Shava Averett) (03/20/91)

From: averett@cs.unc.edu (Shava Averett)

In article <359@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> bcd@cis.ohio-state.edu (Bryan Dunlap) writes:

>From: bcd@cis.ohio-state.edu (Bryan Dunlap)
>My great-aunt has cooked squirrel and woodchuck hunted by my dad into
>meat pies, which were wonderful.  Unfortunately, she is now wintering
>in Florida, so I can't get a recipe from her for you.  If you can find
>a decent cookbook that describes meat pies, you should be able to
>adapt a recipe to squirrel, and then you'd have something quite
>different.

A very good general purpose recipe for meat pies is available in the
cookbook Old_World_Cooking (sorry don't have author/pub info here).
I have adapted the "cornish pasty" recipe to use venison and chevon,
and I suspect that almost any game meat would do nicely.  The only
thing I vary much from the recipe is the marinade, and y'all probably
have your own ideas for marinating game.  Here's one of my favorites:

	Pound a couple few pounds of whatever until it's tenderized.
	Put it to soak overnight in:

		3 c red wine
		1 c red wine vinegar
		1/2 c soy sauce
		1/4 c sugar
		6-8 bayleaves (big whole ones, so you can fish
				them out tomorrow!)
		1 T rosemary
		1 T allspice

	Drain well the next day, and fish out as many bayleaves as
	possible.

This marinade works very well on greasy, gamey, and/or tough meats.

Bon apetit!
Shava Nerad Averett
shava@rad.unc.edu