[rec.hunting] Looking for Squirrel HUNTING info

dambrose@dri.com (David Ambrose) (03/16/91)

From: dambrose@dri.com (David Ambrose)

	All this talk of squirrel cooking prompts me to ask;  What about
squirrel hunting?

	My daughter would like me to take her squirrel hunting.  Lovely idea
to me except that I've never been squirrel hunting.  There is a huntable are
nearby which has plenty of tree squirrels so that's not a problem.

	Any recommendations with regard to gun choice?  I have a .22 rifle and a
16ga shotgun as well as numerous handguns.  I'd preferr to use the .22,  but
would the shotgun work better?

	If I do use the .22,  does a .22 short have enough oomph to cleanly
kill the squirrel yet not so much distance that I'm raining down on folks 2
ridges over?

	Any other hints for the nimrod?

	Thanks in advance,
	Dave Ambrose
--
Play it cool;  play it cool;  fifty-fifty fire and ice -- Joni Mitchell
David L. Ambrose, --  Digital Research, Inc                 dambrose@pan.dri.com

ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) (03/17/91)

From: ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A)
In article <376@erb1.engr.wisc.edu>, dambrose@dri.com (David Ambrose) writes...
>	All this talk of squirrel cooking prompts me to ask;  What about
>squirrel hunting?
>
>	My daughter would like me to take her squirrel hunting.  Lovely idea
>to me except that I've never been squirrel hunting.  There is a huntable are
>nearby which has plenty of tree squirrels so that's not a problem.
>
>	Any recommendations with regard to gun choice?  I have a .22 rifle and a
>16ga shotgun as well as numerous handguns.  I'd preferr to use the .22,  but
>would the shotwork better?

     I would recommend a scoped 22 rifle, at least at first.  A red squirrel
is a pretty tiny target and you will need all the help you can get.  Last fall
my hunting partner used a scoped 22 rifle and took his with monotonous
regularity: 1 shot, 1 squirrel.

     With an open sighted revolver, I only did about 60 percent.  Fortunately,
squirrels will often give you a second shot.  I have mounted an Aimpoint
(nonmagnifying red dot scope) on a target pistol for future forays and
practiced with same this winter.  Unfortunately, it has been subzero this
spring break and I haven't had a chance to get out with it.

>	If I do use the .22,  does a .22 short have enough oomph to cleanly
>kill the squirrel yet not so much distance that I'm raining down on folks 2

22 shorts should do fine.  My partner also used a 5 mm air rifle part of the
time; it had plenty of power but insufficient sights.  (He wants to put a
scope on it, too.)  Note that if you have a semiautomatic 22 rifle you
probably won't be able to use shorts except perhaps by single loading.  If
you are patient, you can usually shoot into the trunk of the tree and stop
your bullets there.  Another strategy is to only shoot squirrels on the
ground; you will get far fewer opportunities this way (not necessarily
a bad thing.)

Philip Munts N7AHL
NRA Extremist, etc.
University of Alaska, Fairbanks

cassman@athena.mit.edu (Baby Killer) (03/17/91)

From: cassman@athena.mit.edu (Baby Killer)

#        If I do use the .22,  does a .22 short have enough oomph to cleanly
# kill the squirrel yet not so much distance that I'm raining down on folks 2
# ridges over?

#        Any other hints for the nimrod?

Know where your bullet is going. My father was nearly killed by someone
who either a) thought he was a deer or b) missed his intended target.

Almost any .22 round is capable of cleanly killing a squirrel if the
shot placement is good. A small gauge shotgun might be good as long as
your daughter can handle the recoil (depending on age and size).

Practice at the range if both of you haven't already.

Shooting "up" into trees can be dangerous.

.....and then the blood returned to my brain.....

diehlrh@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Robert Diehl) (03/19/91)

From: diehlrh@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Robert Diehl)

Use the .22- it's a better way to teach marksmanship and it won't
do as much damage to the meat.  Also, I would suggest using at least
long rifle shells--I've never heard of them being a problem raining
down on people when hunting, and even if they do, EVERYONE I know
has used the .22 at least once for squirrel hunting.

wernewa@vm.cc.purdue.edu     or
diehlrh@sage.cc.purdue.edu

spickett@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steve Pickett) (03/20/91)

From: spickett@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steve Pickett)
In article <398@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> diehlrh@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Robert Diehl) writes:

>Use the .22- it's a better way to teach marksmanship and it won't
>do as much damage to the meat.  Also, I would suggest using at least
>long rifle shells--I've never heard of them being a problem raining
>down on people when hunting, and even if they do, EVERYONE I know
>has used the .22 at least once for squirrel hunting.
The way I was taught was to take the squirrel when hes against the trunk of
the tree if I was using a 22. Shots out on the limbs were for the guys using
shotguns. That way you had a solid backstop for the bullet and didn't have to
worry where it might come down.

--Steve