[rec.hunting] Request for info....

jcbphoto@caen.engin.umich.edu (John Clinton Bolyard) (03/18/91)

From: jcbphoto@caen.engin.umich.edu (John Clinton Bolyard)
Hello, I am interested in finding a book about the proper ways to dress all
sorts of game. Everything from squirrel to elk. If anyone knows of such a
book, please either post or e-mail me. Thanks

Jay

mitchell@metaphor.metaphor.com (Greg Mitchell) (03/22/91)

From: mitchell@metaphor.metaphor.com (Greg Mitchell)
In article <387@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> jcbphoto@caen.engin.umich.edu (John Clinton Bolyard) writes:

>Hello, I am interested in finding a book about the proper ways to dress all
>sorts of game. Everything from squirrel to elk. If anyone knows of such a
>book, please either post or e-mail me. Thanks
>
>Jay

You might want to check out a book called "The Complete Guide To Game
Care And Cookery" by Sam Fadala. The book is published by DBI Books Inc.
( ISBN 0-87349-031-2 )

This book is pretty decent. My impression is that Sam Fadala is quite
religious about the taking of game for meat and his respect for the
land as these themes are iterated throughout the book.

I really don't think the book is all that complete as far as showing
how to dress all kinds of game. The text covers equipment and
preparation of large and small game from field dressing to final
butchering. Many photographs accompany the text to illustrate the
techniques. About 1/2 of the book's 320 pages are about cooking game,
>from camp cooking to home cooking. There is also some discussion of
canning and other preserving techniques.

The recipes are pretty basic, not exactly gourmet. I seem to remeber one
place in the book where some reference is made to fresh ginger root as if
it were an exotic speciality ( any sophisticated urbanite knows that you
can get fresh ginger root any time at the 24 hour supermarket :-). The book
does have a recipe index. This is great as I would hate having to search
through the book every time I was looking for that recipe for
woodchuck spagetti.

What I would really like to find is a book that would show the anatomy of
all the North American game animals with the intention of being a guide
for dressing and butchering. Interesting information would be certain
glands to avoid ( to remove while field dressing and possibly while
butchering ), which internal organs are or are not fit to eat ( I don't
think any are but some people like it, although I understand that bear
liver can be poisonous ). Butchering information would show sketetal
and muscle structure and different types of cuts for the meat.

-- Greg