[rec.hunting] aiming while deer hunting, etc.

doug@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Doug Fosdick) (04/03/91)

  >From: Tim Rigg <rigg@osnome.che.wisc.edu>
  >Subject: aiming while deer hunting

  >I have read several conflicting articles about where to aim while
  >deer hunting and would like some rec.hunting opinions...

  >All bowhunting sources I have seen recommend a behind the shoulder
  >shot.  The optimal shot punctures both lungs and maybe even the heart
  >leading to a very short tracking job.
  >The neck seems to be preferred since very little meat is damaged.
  >I am curious, where do you aim and why???

Tim, don't try to make neck shots when bow hunting for deer.  Use the
heart lung shot as recommended by "all bowhunting sources". Remember,
a bow does not kill an animal by shock or tissue damage. It kills
solely based on loss of blood. This also points up the need for
RAZOR sharp broad heads. Dull broad heads will penetrate a deer,
but will not cut the elastic tissue of which veins and arteries are
made. You must cut the arteries, veins, capiliaries for the deer
to hemorage.  That is why the lung shot is so good - high blood
loss. Studies show that an arrow hit to the heart lung region
will kill a deer as quickly on average as a rifle shot.

  >From: Tim Rigg <rigg@osnome.che.wisc.edu>
  >Subject: broadheads

  >What is the best broadhead for deer hunting?

What ever flies best on your arrows. Go to a Pro archery shop with a
range and try several different broad head styles. Typically, the
weight should be roughly equivalent to the weight of your field
points since this weight is what you bow is "tuned" for. However,
you may find that a different weight broad head actually flies better
on your bow.

Doug