[rec.hunting] Hunting with a .45ACP

osmigo@emx.utexas.edu (Ron Morgan) (03/31/91)

I'd like to hear from anyone who has any experience or knowledge about
hunting with a .45 ACP. I shoot a Colt .45 in Steel Challenge competition, an
offshoot of IPSC (rapid fire, multiple target, timed competition). The pistol
is highly modified and very accurate, and I'm thinking about going after
deer and/or turkey next season, probably using the Remington 185gr. +P
hollowpoints, which have a muzzle velocity of 1200fps and energy of 600 lbs.

Any comments on this idea? I'm not really up to spending $600+ on a nice
rifle and scope just to shoot once a year.

 =             Ron Morgan             =      National Rifle Association      =
 =        osmigo@emx.utexas.edu       =              Greenpeace              =
 =   "Take a friend shooting today"   =         Amnesty International        =

gary@gatech.edu (Gary Coffman) (04/03/91)

In article <462@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> ut-emx!osmigo@emx.utexas.edu (Ron Morgan) writes:

>I'd like to hear from anyone who has any experience or knowledge about
>hunting with a .45 ACP. I shoot a Colt .45 in Steel Challenge competition, an
>offshoot of IPSC (rapid fire, multiple target, timed competition). The pistol
>is highly modified and very accurate, and I'm thinking about going after
>deer and/or turkey next season, probably using the Remington 185gr. +P
>hollowpoints, which have a muzzle velocity of 1200fps and energy of 600 lbs.

While in practical terms this combination in the hands of an expert
should certainly get the job done, it is illegal in many states. In
Georgia the legal handgun calibers for deer start with the .357 Magnum
and advances to real hand cannons like the .454 Casull and TC
Contenders in rifle calibers.  The .45ACP is not listed.

>Any comments on this idea? I'm not really up to spending $600+ on a nice
>rifle and scope just to shoot once a year.

Depending on where you hunt, the effective range of the handgun could
be a severe limitation. A single shot break action rifle, or a simple
bolt gun with iron sights is a major improvement over any handgun.
Chambered in .308 or 30-06 it will take a deer cleanly at ranges far
beyond what any sane handgunner would attempt. And it shouldn't
approach $600. I have several scoped rifles with lethal price tags,
but usually I reach for my old Remington Mod600 in .308 with iron
sights when I head for the woods. I bought it used for under $100 a
few years ago.

Gary

tproctor@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Tom Proctor) (04/04/91)

If you are looking for a cheep rifle to go deer hunting with
I have the solution.  I have a British Infield .303 I picked up at
Surplus Store Cut the stock down and it is a fine Deer rifle.
$20.00 I had to dig around in a box of about 30 of them before
I found a good one.