[rec.hunting] rec.hunting Digest V1 #31

hunter@CCC.NERSC.GOV (NAME ) (04/13/91)

	I am hoping to go pig hunting one of these days and I have a
question about cleaning them. A book that I have says that you need to
dip them in a barrel of scalding hot water and scrape the bristles off
before skinning them.  Now, I very seldom take a barrel of scalding
hot water with me when I go hunting. Is this really necessary, and if
so, why?

	Steven Hunter
	Hunter@es.net

ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) (04/14/91)

In article <531@erb1.engr.wisc.edu>, hunter@CCC.NERSC.GOV (NAME ) writes...

>	I am hoping to go pig hunting one of these days and I have a
>question about cleaning them. A book that I have says that you need to
>dip them in a barrel of scalding hot water and scrape the bristles off
>before skinning them.  Now, I very seldom take a barrel of scalding
>hot water with me when I go hunting. Is this really necessary, and if
>so, why?
>
>	Steven Hunter
>	Hunter@es.net

     We roasted a whole pig (100 pounds) this winter for a church
dinner.  The animal was shot, field dressed, and frozen when it was
donated.  A month or two later we thawed it out and attempted to scald
it and scrape the hair off.  It was really hard to get the hair off,
and we wound up leaving a lot on.  This didn't seem to have any ill
effect, at least for roasting whole.  (Our big mistake was starting
the cooking about 6 hours too early.  It was optimally done at 0600,
just in time for an early breakfast!)

Philip Munts N7AHL
NRA Extremist, etc.
University of Alaska, Fairbanks

jep@pcgbase.UUCP (John E. Phillips) (04/15/91)

In article <531@erb1.engr.wisc.edu>, hunter@CCC.NERSC.GOV (NAME ) writes:

> 	I am hoping to go pig hunting one of these days and I have a
> question about cleaning them. A book that I have says that you need to
> dip them in a barrel of scalding hot water and scrape the bristles off
> before skinning them.  Now, I very seldom take a barrel of scalding
> hot water with me when I go hunting. Is this really necessary, and if
> so, why?
>
> 	Steven Hunter
> 	Hunter@es.net

I recently joined the Outdoor Life book clup and ordered
Butchering, Processing and Preservation of Meat
Frank G. Ashbrook

This book is exactly what the cover says, "A Manual for the Home and Farm".
It is well illustrated with photos and diagrams.

By the way I would like to say thanks to Steve Pickett for the Jerky
recipe.  I didn't follow it exactly but it put me in the mood to try
making some Jerky.

I put the meat in A1 sauce over night and dried it at 150 for eight hours.
The results were great. IMHO.

--
John E. Phillips       | "The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion"
P.O. Box 903           |    -Arnold H. Glasow

petert@uunet.UU.NET (Peter Toth) (04/17/91)

In article <531@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> hunter@CCC.NERSC.GOV (NAME ) writes:

>	I am hoping to go pig hunting one of these days and I have a
>question about cleaning them. A book that I have says that you need to
>dip them in a barrel of scalding hot water and scrape the bristles off
>before skinning them.  Now, I very seldom take a barrel of scalding
>hot water with me when I go hunting. Is this really necessary, and if
>so, why?
>
>	Steven Hunter
>	Hunter@es.net

I don't know why, but my grandfather the farmer used to heap straw on the
pigs he slaughtered and set fire to the works, before butchering the pigs.
I suspect it has to do with hygiene. It also gets rid of the hair.

Good hunting

Peter Toth