[rec.hunting] .223 balistics and wounding

tomfal@tr6.wes.army.mil (Tom Faller) (04/18/91)

warfare, but not for deer hunting.

>From what I understand about wounding balistics from discussions in magazines
and books about the M-16 vs. the M14, there are several reasons why the .223
is now used as a battle cartridge.

First, rifle bullets perform differently than pistol bullets in living
tissue due to the shock wave genetated as a bullet moving faster than
sound encounters water-filled tissue. The shock wave does a large
amount of damage, whether or not the bullet does much besides enter
and exit. For the last hundred years, Army policy had been to use a
large bullet, in a cartridge designed mainly for long-distance
marksmanship. The change to a smaller bullet was brought about by the
recognition that most of combat occurred at ranges less than 300
meters, indeed often at ranges less than 50m.

Second, it became known that a fast, light bullet would become
unstable when entering a different medium than air. In terms of
wounding, small, fast bullets would tumble when they entered the body,
resulting in massive tearing wounds. It was found that these tearing
wounds were more deadly than a wound from a larger, heavier, more
stable round that would "drill" a "neat hole" with the associated
shock damage.

Third, the use of a smaller cartridge meant that soldiers could carry
more ammo, could fire single rounds with more accuracy at close range,
could use automatic fire better (the M-14 was all but uncontrollable
in full auto), and could use a lighter rifle.

These assertions do not carry over directly to hunting strategy. For
one thing, hunters use different bullets, designed to mushroom and
slow down, once in the body. For another thing, most hunting rifles
use a tighter twist in the rifling than was originally proposed for
the .223. (The twist in the Stoner M-16 prototype was less than the
original M-16, and the present day M-16, and almost all hunting
rifles.) The tighter twist results in a faster spinning bullet with
less chance to become unstable, therefore, a bullet that drills "neat
holes" again, only with less shock than a larger bullet.  Third,
military doctrine is that a wounded enemy uses up more resources than
a dead enemy. You have to heal the wounded. You bury the dead. For the
military, this is why a FMJ bullet is used. This does not apply to
hunters, where a clean stop is preferred to wounding an animal and
then tracking it.

The current batch of M-16's have a different role than the original,
and a different ammo. The M-16 has a tighter rifle than the older
ones, and a heavier bullet to push. This is probably due to someone in
the brass wanting a round that will shoot farther and penetrate more
armor. This will probably result in lessened effectiveness against
personnel targets. Time will tell.

>From all of the above, if you use a 55-gr FMJ bullet at about 2700 fps
>from a 20-in barrel with a 1-in-12-in. rifle, you will nearly
duplicate Eugene Stoner's version of the original M-16, and should be
able to drop a deer every time with massive internal damage. Going
with a different combination, you will be relying less on tumbling
wounding and more on shock effects. This is why the .223 is judged to
be too light for deer.  (Whether it is too light for people is a
question that will take a lot of shooting to resolve, but best to say
that present combinations of gun and ammo may be on the margin of
lethality.) The automatic capability of the M-16 is of use only
because you don't care about how many rounds your target takes, as
long as one brings him down.

The stopping power of the .223 supposedly drops off quickly after
about 200 yards, although it can still penetrate a steel helmet at 400
yds. In the military, this is not as much of a problem, because of the
large amount of fire support from the really effective calibers such
as 20mm, 105mm, etc. :-) I've been up in Hill country, and have
occasionally mistaken deer for large dogs at night, so a .223 should
be o.k. on animals of that size. It would be good to have a friend
along with a backup in something of .243 or larger.

All of the above has been argued vigorously by proponents and
opponents of the .223. There's a lot of people that still say a .30
cal rifle is the minimum for combat, but again, more than just the
width of the bullet is involved. Two books come to mind, "the Great
Rifle Debate", and "National Defense", but I can't remember the
authors.

Hope this helps.

Tom Faller

marko@hutch (Mark O'Shea) (04/19/91)

In article <550@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> tomfal@tr6.wes.army.mil (Tom Faller) writes:
>a dead enemy. You have to heal the wounded. You bury the dead. For the
>military, this is why a FMJ bullet is used. This does not apply to

The FMJ are used beacuse that is one of the Geneva Conventions accords.

Mark O'shea
marko@ijf1.intel.com