[rec.hunting] Some Hunting Tips

robert@uunet.UU.NET (Robert A. Osborne) (04/18/91)

When first approaching cottontails, partridge, or ground hogs, they
will either freeze or run (well partridge fly, I've rarely seen them
run).  If they freeze and if you walk parallel to them they won't fly
and (see great ascii graphics below...) you'll get a good shot.
(If any 'sportsmen' flame me about not being 'sporting' ...)

If you make a good show of looking about with out EVER focusing on or
facing in the direction of the game this usually works pretty well.
Don't try creeping up, this rarely (never for me) works,  they KNOW you
are there, you're trying to convince them that their camo works so no
need to run.

    direction of walk------->
                                ^
                                |  optimum range (well as close as I'll
                                |  ever get :-)
                                X  partridge or what have you

This works extremely well for ground hogs (although I get the impression
they aren't fooled so much as curious).

The first time partridge are flushed they almost always fly straight
away from you for 30-60 yards and then land in a tree, most likely a
big evergreen.   If flushed a second time they will sometimes repeat
but usually fly a couple of hundred yards.

A cottontail will run away,  circle around and come up behind you
(unless there is really good cover nearby)  if you  flush one (and miss :-)
turn around and walk quietly back the way you came,  you'll usually
run right into each other.
Does anybody know if other rabbits/hares behave similarly?

Rob.

marko@hutch (Mark O'Shea) (04/19/91)

In article <559@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> isgtec!robert@uunet.UU.NET (Robert A. Osborne) writes:
>When first approaching cottontails, partridge, or ground hogs, they
>will either freeze or run (well partridge fly, I've rarely seen them
>run).

Out here in Orygun partridge (ruffed and blue grouse) will run as often
as they fly.  To get them to fly I send in the dog.

>If you make a good show of looking about with out EVER focusing on or
>facing in the direction of the game this usually works pretty well.
>Don't try creeping up, this rarely (never for me) works,  they KNOW you
>are there, you're trying to convince them that their camo works so no
>need to run.

I have played 1-2-3 beefsteak with many a grouse and gotten within 10 yards.
For those of you unfamiliar with this game-you only move when they aren't
looking otherwise freeze yourself.

>    direction of walk------->
>                                ^
>                                |  optimum range (well as close as I'll
>                                |  ever get :-)
>                                X  partridge or what have you

This is a good method if you have the room to maneuver.  Grouse hunting
here in Orygun is mostly on old overgrown logging roads.  The best method
is the sloooow stalk once the birds are spotted.  Of course, when you come
around the bend in a road so steep only a mountain goat could get up it
with ease and you are doing your steam engine imitation there will be 30+
in the middle of the road foraging.

>The first time partridge are flushed they almost always fly straight
>away from you for 30-60 yards and then land in a tree, most likely a
>big evergreen.   If flushed a second time they will sometimes repeat
>but usually fly a couple of hundred yards.

Absolutely.

>A cottontail will run away,  circle around and come up behind you
>(unless there is really good cover nearby)  if you  flush one (and miss :-)
>turn around and walk quietly back the way you came,  you'll usually
>run right into each other.
>Does anybody know if other rabbits/hares behave similarly?

Jacks do the same but in a much larger circle.  When first hunting them
in the Mojave desert, I thought they just ran away.  Later I learned they
circle, but it is a very large circle.  We used to hunt an area, then come
straight back thru it about an hour later in the opposite direction.  Often
we would jump rabbits in the same places.

May the wind always be in your face,
Mark O'Shea
marko@ijf1.intel.com