[rec.hunting] Tree stands, and Elk as a subject.

brianh@tvnews.tv.tek.com (Brian Heifner) (04/23/91)

I've been waiting for this newsgroup, but just found out it was alive
and well.

Any way, recently I purchased a Loggy Bayou (sp) tree stand. I'm
curious to found out what ya'all feel about height placement of the
tree stand.  Is it enough to get only ten feet off of the ground or
will I do better higher up?.

Another subject I think about alot is hunting tactiks for elk here in
the Oreegone Coast range. For those of you who have never hunted here,
the coast range is extremely thick with vegetation. The area we hunted
last year was west of Timber (a very small town), we never got close
enough to any elk to get an arrow off. Actually we didn't even see
any.

Does any one out there know of a good book or video tape that
specializes in Western Oregon elk or deer hunting?.

patvh@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (Pat Van Hoomissen) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.015533.14089@tvnews.tv.tek.com> brianh@tvnews.tv.tek.com (Brian Heifner) writes:

>Is it enough to get only ten feet off of the ground or will I do better higher
				.
				.
				.
>range is extremely thick with vegetation. The area we hunted last year was

-------

I can't sit still long enough myself, but would think ten feet is
enough if you can only see ten feet. I have had cows walk within a few
yards of me, and have surprised a few by walking right up on them. I
quit hunting the Coast after two years because of the brush, but then
I hunt with a rifle...

brian%nosun.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET (Brian Vandewettering) (04/26/91)

In article <582@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> brianh@tvnews.tv.tek.com (Brian Heifner) writes:

>Another subject I think about alot is hunting tactiks for elk here in
>the Oreegone Coast range. For those of you who have never hunted here,
>the coast range is extremely thick with vegetation. The area we hunted
>last year was west of Timber (a very small town), we never got close
>enough to any elk to get an arrow off. Actually we didn't even see
>any.

Welcome to the club.  I hunt the general rifle season in the coast
range and have never taken a shot at an elk in 6 years of hunting
them.  Always see lots of cows but bulls are hard to come by.  You
basically need to hunt the north and east faces of hillsides.  Getting
down wind of these critters is essential.  Their sense of smell is
effective to 300 yards or more.  If possible, try to hunt down hill.
It allows you to move more quietly and increases your ability to see
bedded elk.

A set of 7.5 minute topo maps for the area are essential.  They will
sometimes show isolated benches on north faces where the elk like to
hide.  Know how to use a compass and stay away from any kind of road.
Bring a lunch, water and survey ribbon so you can mark your trail out
when you get one.  Stay in all day and just maybe...

Oh, ya!  Hunt alone.  Two guys make at least twice as much noise as
one.  Took me years to realize this and train my partners to use a
compass.  Some folks get really freaked when they get over 1/4 mile
>from the road by themselves.

Doing this kind of hunting gives me a real appreciation for those who
have fought in jungle battles.  The bad guys could be 2 feet away and
you might not know it.  They on the other hand could hear you comming
easily.

For bow hunting I hear that bugling is effective.  A friend uses it to
lure in bulls durring rut (which happens to coincide with bow elk
season).  He says it's dangerous sometimes as these 1000 pound animals
show up looking for a fight and a piece of _ss.  Kind of a weird thing
to do for fun. Probably something to do with being part Siletz Injun.

>Does any one out there know of a good book or video tape that
>specializes in Western Oregon elk or deer hunting?.

Elk talk, the book and cassette is supposed to be good but I have not
examined either.

Best of luck,

Brian

Opinions are MINE!!!
Brian Vandewettering  NRA, NRAILA, OSSA
Motorola Inc., Computer Systems Division  Beaverton, Oregon
brian@pdx.csd.mot.com                 . . .  tektronix!nosun!cvedc!mcspdx!brian