[rec.hunting] Prepreseason scouting trip report

rigg@osnome.che.wisc.edu (Tim Rigg) (04/24/91)

I spent this last weekend in the woods doing some prepreseason
scouting for deer season.  So I figured I use the opportunity to post
a trip report to rec.hunting.  Also, some of my observations were a
bit surprising to me.  Perhaps some more experienced deer hunters can
explain them.

As an introduction, I was preparing for gun and bow seasons in
Northern Wisconsin.  There were only a few very small piles of snow
remaining and the trees were still without leaves.

The main thing I wanted to accomplish this trip was the construction
of a ground blind and a tree stand site.  Last year, I built my blind
and cut shooting lanes a few days before opening day.  I am sure this
spooked the deer a bit.  I decided then that I would not make the same
mistake this year.

Both these stands are located on well used path from last fall.
However, I was a bit surprised that the path had seen little recent
use.  The area was a somewhat swampy so thought at least a few deer
might yard nearby.  However, I found very few fresh signs.  Last fall,
there were several scrapes,  a few rubs and numerous tracks.  Is this
typical that the deer would abandon such a popular spot

Anyway, I constructed the ground stand in the same spot as last fall
when I missed an easy buck during gun season.  I am hoping to get
another chance this fall.  About 50 yards up the main scrap line, I
found an excellent tree for a tree stand.  It is a large pine tree on
the edge of a little clearing.  So I decided to put my bowhunting
stand in the same area.  To prepare for the tree stand, I cut a few
branches and measured the distances so I can practice at home.  The
tree was 30 feet from the path and 20 feet up the tree.  These seemed
like ideal distances.  I could see the area very clearly but the pine
boughs made it hard for the deer to see me.  Now I just have to wait
and see if the path is still well used this fall.

The rest of the trip was spent shooting stumps with our bows (my
brother and I).  This was the first time I shot at things at uncertain
distances.  Boy, what an enlightening experience!  At the beginning,
all my arrows were about two feet too high or too low.  By the end of
the weekend, we were getting pretty good but we still have a ways to
go.  The other thing that surprised me was how easy it was to lose
arrows.  It was quite frustrating to see exactly where they went and
still not find them.  Usually it was because they slid under the grass
and leaves.  I also bent and/or broke a few arrows by sticking them in
stumps that were harder than they looked.  Judo points helped but even
then it wasn't easy. This brings up another question.  I am currently
shooting Easton 2413 Ultralights with 100 grain heads.  Does anyone
know of 100 grain Judo points or similar heads?  Someone at Zwickey
(the manufacturer of Judo points) suggested just grinding and sawing
them to reach 100 grains.  I don't really like the idea but it will do
if I can't find any other options.

Now for my last observation/question...  I asked  a forest service
ranger on my out about where the deer yard.  She told me they like
ceder and hemlock swamps.  But I don't know how to readily identify
trees.  I can pick out oak and birch but I would like to get better at
this.  Can any rec.hunters recommend a good book or some other source?

Oh, I lied -- I have one more question.  My brother and I were
debating whether or not the deer had dropped their fawns yet.  Are
there any rules of thumb to estimate this?  Like "them deer all drop
fawns before the apple blossoms come out".

thanks
tim

patvh%vice.ico.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Pat Van Hoomissen) (04/26/91)

In article <586@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> rigg@osnome.che.wisc.edu (Tim Rigg) writes:
>ceder and hemlock swamps.  But I don't know how to readily identify
>trees.  I can pick out oak and birch but I would like to get better at

I learned in the Scouts. They have some great books, but the library
should have some material on tree identification. You should know
cedar by the smell.  Both Cedar and Hemlock offer good protection from
the elements as their long branches and needles form layers. With or
without the swamp, cedar thickets are good cover. Your stand should be
between such cover and food or water.

>Oh, I lied  I have one more question.  My brother and I were
>debating whether or not the deer had dropped their fawns yet.  Are
>there any rules of thumb to estimate this?  Like "them deer all drop

MidMay is the peak time for fawn births in Oregon anyway.