[rec.hunting] Deterring hunters on private property: planning ahead

hank@uunet.UU.NET (Hank Roberts) (04/26/91)

Every September, I have to go sit out on my back 40 with a bunch of signs,
red flags, whistles, the ham radio and (well, never mind the other
deterrents).  I have no problem with deer hunting per se, and no quarrel
with people who want to walk across private property on their way to hunt
deer on public property.

But I could use some conversation here to plan ahead, if y'all will help.

Here are my concerns:
1) people shoot up my fruit trees
2) people drive 4x4s through at night 'cross country'
3) people set up around the spring  last fall I had two kids both in
   heavy camo gear setting on opposite sides of the springbox, both
   hidden in my windbreak plantings, aiming AT each other. They did not
   know I or the other guy was there 'til I walked up and moved'em on.

The older guys who've been hunting this area since before I was born are no
problem; pleasant to talk to, clean up their own shit.

But the young kids wearing black and green face paint and camo outfits with
new guns and truly zombielike attention show up and are worrying me. One
of them practically shat his pants when I walked up behind him to move him
off the property; if I`d been a deer I could have gored him (grin).

Comments welcome. I'd like to figure out some way to post the boundaries
that does not invite people to shoot through the signs into my living area,
for instance.  Maybe yellow=tape the whole perimeter in plastic flagging

Again, I have no problem with hunting; it's cleaning up the place that gets
to me. I risk being out there because if I'm not there opening weekend, I
get people camping/shitting/burning/shooting/stealing in the area.

If there are any selfregulating hunters' organizations, I'd like to meet
some of them and invite them out for the deer season next fall.

mireley@horus.cem.msu.edu (John Mireley) (04/28/91)

>From article <1991Apr26.063247.20842@doug.cae.wisc.edu>, by decwrl!well.sf.ca.us!well!hank@uunet.UU.NET (Hank Roberts):
>

> Every September, I have to go sit out on my back 40 with a bunch of signs,
> red flags, whistles, the ham radio and (well, never mind the other
> deterrents).  I have no problem with deer hunting per se, and no quarrel
> with people who want to walk across private property on their way to hunt
> deer on public property.

> Again, I have no problem with hunting; it's cleaning up the place that gets
> to me. I risk being out there because if I'm not there opening weekend, I
> get people camping/shitting/burning/shooting/stealing in the area.
>
> If there are any selfregulating hunters' organizations, I'd like to meet
> some of them and invite them out for the deer season next fall.

Some property owners around here rent their land to hunters with the
understanding that the hunters will post the property and police it. I
would suggest archers as they get out early in the season. If there is a
lot of room in your area to hunt this probably would not work.

John Mireley

wasserbu@ihlpl.att.com (Michael F Wasserburger) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr26.063247.20842@doug.cae.wisc.edu>, decwrl!well.sf.ca.us!well!hank@uunet.UU.NET (Hank Roberts) writes:

> Every September, I have to go sit out on my back 40 with a bunch of signs,
> red flags, whistles, the ham radio and (well, never mind the other
> deterrents).  I have no problem with deer hunting per se, and no quarrel
> with people who want to walk across private property on their way to hunt
> deer on public property.
>
> But I could use some conversation here to plan ahead, if y'all will help.
>

> If there are any selfregulating hunters' organizations, I'd like to meet
> some of them and invite them out for the deer season next fall.

  I take pride in being a responsible hunter and respecting
private property.  Along those lines, I belong to a hunting
organization that also stands for those ethics.  The "North
American Hunting Club" is a nationwide organization of
hunters who also beleive in those ethics.

  Members of our club who wish to hunt on private property
"go the extra mile" beyond asking for permission by offering
the land owner their membership card while they are on the
land owners property.  On the back of the Membership card
it says:

****  QUOTE ****

"To the landowner

As a dedicated memeber of the North American Hunting Club,
this card holder:

  o Respects private property

  o Obeys all game laws

  o Abides by the rules of Fair Chase

  o Follows safe fireamrs handling practices

  o Constantly strives for proficiency with his [her] equipment

Thank you for allowing an NAHC member to hunt on your land.
Please hold on to this membership card until the end of
his [her] hunting day or record his NAHC number, our address
and his auto license so that if he does not treat your land
with respect you can notify us.  We pride ourselves on maintaining
an ethical membership base consisting of dedicated sportsmen."

****  UNQUOTE  ****

I have no relationship with the NAHC other than being a
satisfied member.  If there are any hunters out there that
would like to know more about this organization and may
consider joining, please email me.  I will send you information
and an application form.  If you also beleive in these ethics
and are considering joining, I get "bonus points" for having
my name and membership number on your membership application.

Mike Wasserburger
att.com!ihlpl!wasserbu

technews@iitmax.iit.edu (Kevin Kadow) (04/28/91)

If it wouldn`t harm the trees, how about bright yellow paint all around the
perimeter. (at eye level)

Usually when people trespass it isn`t deliberate property lines sometimes
aren`t that obvious.

technews@iitmax.iit.edu                           kadokev@iitvax (bitnet)
                         My Employer Disagrees.

jasond@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (jason) (04/28/91)

decwrl!well.sf.ca.us!well!hank@uunet.UU.NET (Hank Roberts) writes:

>If there are any selfregulating hunters' organizations, I'd like to meet
>some of them and invite them out for the deer season next fall.

I'm sure that there are many hunters who would gladly protect and
take care of your property in exchange for being allowed to hunt it.

I know that if I didn't have private property to hunt, I'd do anything
to get it.

What area of wisconsin is your land?  Maybe I know someone
who can do it, or maybe a netter can help you out.

We post no trespassing / no hunting signs and some bright colored ribbon
(flapping from a tree) along our property line.  Also, we like to talk
to the neighboring owners before the season starts, so that everyone
knows where everyone else is.

jason

Jason Dederich				    INTERNET:  jdederich@uiuc.edu
University of Illinois at UC			       jasond@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu