[rec.hunting] Varmint hunting in WA or OR

johnclif@cs.washington.edu (04/24/91)

Are there any other readers who live in WA or northern OR who are up
on varmint hunting?

I'd like to do something with my .223 varmint rifle besides wipe it down
with a silicone cloth.  When does the season start, and how does one
go about finding a legal and varmint-rich place to shoot?

Thanks,

John Clifford
Developer, Applications
Microsoft Corporation

Disclaimer:  I speak for me, Bill speaks for Microsoft.

bill@mav.com (Bill Landsborough) (04/28/91)

In article <590@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> microsoft!johnclif@cs.washington.edu writes:
>Are there any other readers who live in WA or northern OR who are up
>on varmint hunting?
>I'd like to do something with my .223 varmint rifle besides wipe it down
>with a silicone cloth.  When does the season start, and how does one
>go about finding a legal and varmintrich place to shoot?
>John Clifford

You can hunt coyotes year around.  Even at night but you better make
sure that is the only game you intend to shoot.

I use my Remingtion model LH .243 rifle with an 18 power fixed scope to
hunt coyotes in eastern Washington.  The farmers appreciate your safe
and sane hunting of these predators but you should always ask the nearest farm
house for location of the owner for permission.

One of the more popular public places is the "Pot Holes Resevoir".  I found
very quickly that predator calls are useless with them.  They are a
smart pack of survivors.  However I will let you in on a secret method
which I have found that works well. (no one else is listening, right?)

Take a stuffed Pheasant and put fresh Pheasant scent on it.  Put it on a
knoll where you can see it from some cover downwind at whatever distance
you feel comfortable with and just wait.  If they are not aware of your
presence, the coyotes will circle around also downwind from the Pheasant
and try to sneak up on it.  Position yourself where you will get a shot
while they are on the approach.  Obviously, you must see them before
they get to your stuffed bird or you will both be suprised!   :)

By the way, the hides right now are not worth $3 so it is not a
profitable venture.

Have fun, shot responsibly, support NRA.

Bill Landsborough

"Faith is being sure of what we hope for and
certain of what we do not see."  Hebrews 11:1