[rec.hunting] .223 to little for deer, but big enough for people?

tas@sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) (04/17/91)

I've had a .223 Remington for several years.  It shoots great, with
little recoil, and is accurate out to somewhere past 200 yards with
a simple rest and no particular care in aiming.

Although I've thought about taking it deer hunting here in the Texas
Hill Country and along the Gulf Coast I've never done so.  All the
statements about "a .223 is too little to kill a deer" have had
something to do with not using it.  However, I haven't really ever
understood why a .223 is big enough for the military to shoot at
200+ pound warriors in a battle but not big enough for a 50-130 pound
deer at rest.  Obviously, an M16 is gonna push several rounds at
a single man, but I don't believe all of them are expected to hit.

If anyone would care to express an educated (or not so educated)
opinion on why 55-65 gr. bullets work on people but not whitetails
I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tom Stewart
Canyon Lake, Texas

wytten@uunet.UU.NET (Dale Wyttenbach) (04/18/91)

In <544@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> tas@sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:
>If anyone would care to express an educated (or not so educated)
>opinion on why 55-65 gr. bullets work on people but not whitetails
>I'd appreciate it.

I think it's because the ballistics of a 5.56mm M-16 round and a
.223 cal are different...the M-16 round is specially designed to
tumble and roll on impact, wreaking havoc on flesh.

Folklore says that when the 5.56mm rounds don't tumble, the M-16 has
very little stopping power compared to the Soviet AK-47, which fires a
7.62mm round.  Incidentally, the U.S. M-60 machine gun (Rambo fired
one from the hip, you remember :-) also uses a 7.62mm round, but I
think it's backed with a lot more powder.

dale
--
 Dale Wyttenbach     | We all shine on,
 wytten@cs.umn.edu   | like the moon, the stars and the sun.

ee5391aa%triton.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (04/18/91)

In article <544@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> tas@sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:

>If anyone would care to express an educated (or not so educated)
>opinion on why 55-65 gr. bullets work on people but not whitetails
>I'd appreciate it.

Several reasons, running in different directions.

First, a .223 _will_ kill deer...you just have to be closer, and you
need to get a better shot.

In general, heavier slugs, with more power behind them, will kill at
greater ranges and with greater reliability than less massive, smaller
cross-section, lowered-powered bullets.

Hell, you can take deer with a .22 pistol..._if_ you're a good enough
stalker to get in position for the shot...and the phase of the moon is
right.  ;^)

I seem to recall that New Mexico doesn't permit anything smaller than
.30 cal.  for deer hunting, but don't quote me.

Now, let's address the deer vs. human question:

You want to _kill_ your deer as quickly and reliably as possible.

You want to _wound_ an enemy soldier...badly enough to neutralize him
as an individual fighter, but not so badly that his comrades write him
off.  It then takes up time and other resources of the enemy to apply
life support, patch him up and evacuate him from the field...or
continue support if he can't be evac'd.

Also, having enemy fire to worry about, a soldier needs to be able to
move quickly, and shouldn't have too much recoil to worry about, so he
can make his next shot ASAP.  Hence, the .223...but heavier (and
lighter) calibers are used in combat, too, so really, it's not so
different.

The whole anti-.223 idiology is based on a mix of fact and fancy, as
usual.  It's just YA case of the many Religious Arguments regarding
such things as autopistol vs. revolver, wadcutter vs. ball, caliber x
vs. caliber y, and others without enumeration.

						Bang,

klotz@ihlpf.att.com (David A Klotzbach) (04/18/91)

>From article <544@erb1.engr.wisc.edu>, by tas@sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart):
> I've had a .223 Remington for several years.  It shoots great, with
> All the
> statements about "a .223 is too little to kill a deer" have had
> something to do with not using it.  However, I haven't really ever
> understood why a .223 is big enough for the military to shoot at
> 200+ pound warriors in a battle but not big enough for a 50-130 pound
> deer at rest.
> Thanks,
>
> Tom Stewart
> Canyon Lake, Texas

The best I can do is explain what was told to me durring basic
training. We were scoring at the rifle range and the DI told us to
count any strike on the target as a hit. When ask why we didn't count
only the ``Kill Zone'' or ``Bullseye'' hits, he explained that the
"modern view of warfare was to disable the opponent not to kill him."
The reason is that a wounded opponent takes 3 men out of combat, the
wounded man and two to carry him out. Because of this philosophy, the
US had gone to a smaller higher speed round that would cause
massive trauma with even the slightest hit, but would not be as deadly
as the earlier .30 cal weapons.

On the contrary, when hunting deer, you would want the hit to kill
the animal as quickly as possible. Although a well placed .223 will do
this, it require more skill than I would expect to have. I like to
think that one shot is good enough, and with the traditional deer
hunting calibers, the kill zone is much larger.

Now for the disclaimer, its been 20 years since I went through basic
training and I have seen far to many war films that have tried to
justify the smaller cal. and high munition to kill ratio's to be
absolutely certain of my facts anymore. But I think I will stick to
my .270 and .303 British and leave the .223's to much more
experienced sportspersons.

lvc@cbvox.att.com (Lawrence V Cipriani) (04/18/91)

In article <544@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> tas@sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:
>However, I haven't really ever understood why a .223 is big enough for
>the military to shoot at 200+ pound warriors in a battle but not big
>enough for a 50-130 pound deer at rest.

The goal of the military with the .223 is to INJURE the opposing
warriors.  The theory being it costs the opposition more to take care
of a wounded soldier than to throw the corpse down a hole.  This
theory doesn't work when your oppostion decides that injured warriors
are too much of a burden and just executes them, which I understand
the Viet Cong did.

.30-06, .308, .223, see the trend to lighter faster bullets?  Designs
for the next military cartridge include flechettes, basically darts!

The goal of deer hunters is to kill the deer as soon as possible.
This requires a more powerful cartridge, e.g. .30-06, than .223.
--
Larry Cipriani, att!cbvox!lvc or lvc@cbvox.att.com
"Offensive is in the eye of the beholder." -- me

cassman@athena.mit.edu (Baby Killer) (04/18/91)

tas@sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:
# Although I've thought about taking it deer hunting here in the Texas
# Hill Country and along the Gulf Coast I've never done so.  All the
# statements about "a .223 is too little to kill a deer" have had
# something to do with not using it.  However, I haven't really ever
# understood why a .223 is big enough for the military to shoot at
# 200+ pound warriors in a battle but not big enough for a 50-130 pound
# deer at rest.  Obviously, an M16 is gonna push several rounds at
# a single man, but I don't believe all of them are expected to hit.

# If anyone would care to express an educated (or not so educated)
# opinion on why 55-65 gr. bullets work on people but not whitetails
# I'd appreciate it.

The .223 is generally not suitable for deer because the cartridge is
 insufficient for causing a reasonably quick kill for medium-sized
game (deer). The light 55-65 gr. bullets do not penetrate as far as
heavier bullets, and the wound channel caused by the small-diameter
bullet is relatively small.

The .223 is fine for Wounding soldiers. If medical attention is not
fast enough, the soldier will die if anything vital has been hit.
Also, it takes more than twice as many people to treat and care for
a wounded soldier as it does to bury a dead soldier; consequently,
clean and quick kills are not a big concern for the military.

Clean and quick kills are a concern for hunters that hate to wound
animals and cause them unnecessary suffering. A .223 could kill a
deer, but there are more humane choices for those whose shooting
skills are less than expert.

- I was gambling in Havana
- I took a litte risk
- Send lawyers, guns, and money
- Dad, get me out of this
----- Warren Zevon

tighe@convex.com (Mike Tighe) (04/19/91)

In article <544@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> tas@sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:

> However, I haven't really ever understood why a .223 is big enough for the
> military to shoot at 200+ pound warriors in a battle but not big enough for
> a 50-130 pound deer at rest.

> If anyone would care to express an educated (or not so educated) opinion on
> why 55-65 gr. bullets work on people but not whitetails I'd appreciate
it.

Obviously these claims come from hunters that have never tried, or can't
aim very well. Several years ago, I dropped a deer with a single M193 round
>from an AR-15 at a range of about 50 meters. It was dead before it hit the
ground.
Mike Tighe, Internet: tighe@convex.com, Voice: (214) 497-4206

jimiii@mips.com (Jim Warford) (04/19/91)

In article <544@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> tas@sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:

>If anyone would care to express an educated (or not so educated)
>opinion on why 55-65 gr. bullets work on people but not whitetails
>I'd appreciate it.

 In war, if you kill your enemy you have taken 1 enemy out of the
battle.  If you wound him you have taken him out of the battle
and also the people who supply medical aid and logistics.  There
is also the psycological effect of a wounded screaming man.  Thus
wounding with smaller lighter bullets make more sense in war (if
anything about war makes sense).

 In hunting if you kill your target, you dress it and eat it. If
you wound it, you must track it and finish it off.  Depending on
how far and fast the animal runs before you finish it off the
meat may get tougher and gamier not to mention the unnecessary
suffering of the wounded animals and the slow death of the
animals which were shot by hunters not responsible enough to
track them down.

 I once took a questionable shot at an elk and wounded it.  It
covered almost 20 miles and took me most of the night and half
the next day to catch up and find it (it was dead or I may never
have caught it).  This was in snow about 6-12 inches deep so the
tracking was easy.  The same situation without snow and I may
have never found the animal as after the first mile the blood
spots were rather infrequent.  I have never taken a shot since
then unless I was 99.99999% sure of a clean kill.

--jimiii@mips.com

--
 Faster horses
 Younger women

dambrose@dri.com (David Ambrose) (04/19/91)

In article <544@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> tas@sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:

>If anyone would care to express an educated (or not so educated)
>opinion on why 55-65 gr. bullets work on people but not whitetails
>I'd appreciate it.

	There's a major difference in mission between military uses
and hunting.  When hunting, the primary goal is to kill the animal as
quickly and surely as possible.  For the military, it is much more
advantageous to severely wound and disable the enemy soldiers.  Once
wounded it takes at least 2 other soldiers to carry the wounded
soldier from the battlefield.  So, for the military, it's more
advantageous to disable and wound, than it is to kill.

	Don't know whether this qualifies as educated, but the guy
saying it had 2 stars on his collar. ;)

--
Play it cool;  play it cool;  fifty-fifty fire and ice -- Joni Mitchell
David L. Ambrose, --  Digital Research, Inc                 dambrose@pan.dri.com

JJD118@psuvm.psu.edu (John Donovan) (04/19/91)

Being in the army I will agree with all of you that the CURRENT army
doctrine is a wounded enemy is as good as a dead one if not better.
There are plenty of stories of people hit by .223 that did funny
things.  One is a man hit in the chest had the bullet go around his
rib cage 2 or 3 time then richoct off of a rib upward finaly exiting
the top of his head putting a hole in his helmet

  Needless to say the guy was dead almost instantly.  There are also
stories of people getting hit by 2 clip fulls of shots and they keep
right on comming.  The .223 does have the power BUT you need to PLACE
the shot better.  Those of you who have 5-8 inch groups the .223 is
NOT for you, but if you can control where you put your shot then the
.223 can be a great round but only if used properly.  The choice is
yours.  I like light accurate weapons but others like huge less
accurate weapons.  Rember you bought it you are going to use it so you
have to be happy with what ever you buy.
 John Donovan student lab attendent at   |   I'd like to be an engineer so
  Penn State University                  |   people would think I was smart.
 Internet JJD118@PSUVM.PSU.EDU           |   want to be an engineer so people
 Bitnet   JJD118@PSUVM                   |   would think I am smart.

keith@clodii.columbiasc.NCR.COM (04/19/91)

>From: tas@sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart)
>I've had a .223 Remington for several years.  It shoots great, with
>Although I've thought about taking it deer hunting here in the Texas
>Hill Country and along the Gulf Coast I've never done so.  All the
>statements about "a .223 is too little to kill a deer" have had

First, you should check the hunting regs. for the places you hunt in
concerning the types of calibers permitted. Some states have
restrictions for big game animals. For instance, Tennessee requires
.25 caliber weapons or larger for deer. This eliminates all .24X or
smaller calibers, I believe.

>understood why a .223 is big enough for the military to shoot at
>200+ pound warriors in a battle but not big enough for a 50-130 pound
>deer at rest.  Obviously, an M16 is gonna push several rounds at
>a single man, but I don't believe all of them are expected to hit.

Correct. But it only takes one round to injure the "warrior". Then it
takes one or two of his buddies to carry him to the rear. Then you
have two or three guys out of the battle who are not fighting. Get the
idea?  If the "warrior" had been killed, he would have been left and
buried later.  I got this from rec.guns and believe it true to an
extent.

>If anyone would care to express an educated (or not so educated)
>opinion on why 55-65 gr. bullets work on people but not whitetails
>I'd appreciate it.

I suggest looking in some reload manuals and compare the foot pounds
of energy on impact at 200 yds. for .223 55 grn. bullets versus a more
typical caliber such .270 130 grn. bullets which is what I hunt with.
This is what mostly determines the amount of bone/tissue damage on
impact. Don't get me wrong. A .223 will bring down a big game animal
but only with a very lethal spine shot. Anywhere else and I think even
a smallish deer could manage to run quite some distance. Maybe enough
for you to lose track of it. Not good.  Also, I recently saw on Sixty
Minutes, I think, some people comparing the .223 Evil Assault Caliber
gun with a Browning 7mm Magnun BAR rifle on a watermelon. The .223
made a tiny entrance hole and blew out a 4 or 5 inch circle at the
exit hole. The BAR 7mm mag. literally blew up the entire watermelon
leaving nothing but "juice" on the cinder block. I hope this helps you
to make a wise decision.

>Thanks,

Sure thing!

---
| Keith M. Boyd  (NCR E+M Cola.) |  Nothing could be fina' than huntin' and  |
| 3325 Platt Springs Rd.         |  fishin' in South Carolina!  -Me-         |
| West Cola., S.C. 29170   |  Fax: 791-6998 |  keith@clodII.Columbia.NCR.COM |
| Vp: 803-791-6419  |  From uunet: !uunet!ncrlink!ncrcae!sauron!clodII!keith |

joseph@uunet.UU.NET (04/19/91)

tas@sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:

# Although I've thought about taking it deer hunting here in the Texas
# Hill Country and along the Gulf Coast I've never done so.  All the
# statements about "a .223 is too little to kill a deer" have had
# something to do with not using it.  However, I haven't really ever
# understood why a .223 is big enough for the military to shoot at
# 200+ pound warriors in a battle but not big enough for a 50-130 pound
# deer at rest.  Obviously, an M16 is gonna push several rounds at
# a single man, but I don't believe all of them are expected to hit.

# If anyone would care to express an educated (or not so educated)
# opinion on why 55-65 gr. bullets work on people but not whitetails
# I'd appreciate it.

From one of the NRA's books on hunting come the following suggestion
for energy (in foot pounds) needed for hunting North Am game:

				Minimun		Adequate	Preferred

Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Goat	 900		1200		1500

Elk, Bear (up to 600 lbs)	1500		2000		2500

Large Bear, Moose		2100		2800		3500

A .223 with a 55gr bullet has 921-939 foot lbs at 100 yards
(as per Remington). I didn't see data for a 65 gr bullet.

But, on the other hand, my brother-in-law took a huge moose this year
in Montana using his .270 and 150gr handloads. Aprox energy of 2165 ft
lb at 100 yrds and 1649 ft lb at 200 yrds. His was a one-shot,
drop-where-it-stood hit. A friend of his the following weekend used a
.270, and chased his moose about 2 miles, putting 5 rounds into it
before it dropped. It was ok that the aminal was moving because the
whole time it was headed in the direction of their truck. :-)
Personally, I prefer the one-shot, drop-where-they-stand shoots.

-Joseph Crunk

petert@uunet.UU.NET (Peter Toth) (04/19/91)

In article <549@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> plains!umn-cs!LOCAL!wytten@uunet.UU.NET (Dale Wyttenbach) writes:

>Folklore says that when the 5.56mm rounds don't tumble, the M-16 has
>very little stopping power compared to the Soviet AK-47, which fires a
>7.62mm round.  Incidentally, the U.S. M-60 machine gun (Rambo fired
>one from the hip, you remember :-) also uses a 7.62mm round, but I
>think it's backed with a lot more powder.
>
>dale

The AK-47 (Kalashnikov) and it's forerunner the SKS-56 (Simonov)fire the
7.62x39mm cartridge, which generates very similar energies to the 5.56x45,
or 5.56NATO also known as the .223 Remington.

The M-60 fires the 7.62x51mm, or 7.62NATO, also known as the .308.

Peter Toth

.

bae@uunet.UU.NET (Brian Ehrmantraut) (04/22/91)

In article <544@erb1.engr.wisc.edu>, tas@sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:
> However, I haven't really ever
> understood why a .223 is big enough for the military to shoot at
> 200+ pound warriors in a battle but not big enough for a 50-130 pound
> deer at rest.

	The intent of the .223 "in battle" is not to kill the
opponent, but rather to inflict a disabling wound.  An injured soldier
results in more drain on your opponent's resources than a dead one.
(source: Dr. Martin Fackler, Military Trauma Research Division,
Letterman Army Institute of Research)

	The intent of a hunting cartridge is to drop the target
cleanly and as humanely as possible.

--
		Brian A. Ehrmantraut

BELL:   voice:(408) 492-0900  fax: (408) 492-0909
USnail:	Auspex Systems, 2952 Bunker Hill Lane, Santa Clara, CA 95054

gary@gatech.edu (Gary Coffman) (04/22/91)

In article <544@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> tas@sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:

>If anyone would care to express an educated (or not so educated)
>opinion on why 55-65 gr. bullets work on people but not whitetails
>I'd appreciate it.

The purpose of the military weapon is to *wound* an opposing soldier
rather than kill him. The purpose of a hunting weapon is to cleanly
*kill* an animal. Therein lies the difference. It's a well known fact
that wounding a soldier takes *three* soldiers out of the battle line.
The wounded one and two of his buddies to carry him back to the aid
station. Thus wounding is better militarily than killing. So light
little pipsqueak caliber weapons that an infantryman can carry a *lot*
of ammo for is a big plus in combat and a lousey choice in the hunting
field.

Gary

case@leland.stanford.edu (Helen Ginzburg) (04/22/91)

In article <544@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> tas@sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:
>I've had a .223 Remington for several years.  It shoots great, with
>little recoil, and is accurate out to somewhere past 200 yards with
>a simple rest and no particular care in aiming.

***I have some friends who are ex-Marines.  The US M-16 rifle (which I
believe is 5.56mm aka .223) is accurate to 500 yards when used by a
trained Marine in clear terain with little wind.
************ This could imply higher muzzel velocity or better spin
characteristics, though I am no expert on guns or hunting.

>Although I've thought about taking it deer hunting here in the Texas
>Hill Country and along the Gulf Coast I've never done so.  All the
>statements about "a .223 is too little to kill a deer" have had
>something to do with not using it.  However, I haven't really ever
>understood why a .223 is big enough for the military to shoot at
>200+ pound warriors in a battle but not big enough for a 50-130 pound
>deer at rest.  Obviously, an M16 is gonna push several rounds at
>a single man, but I don't believe all of them are expected to hit.

***** In my inexpert opinion, I suspect that ".223 too little to kill
a deer" means that shooting a deer with one .223 will not cause it to
reliably die conveniently close to the spot where it was shot.  A body
shot with any bullet would probably kill most deer eventually, though
possibly a few miles away.

***** The M-16 and .223 military FMJ was introduced largely to give
the infantryman greater firepower as in output of bullets.  The
lighter ammo allows a soldier to carry many more rounds than before,
and the lack of instant killing opwer is offset in war by the higher
rate of fire and extreme accuracy (for an assault rifle).

***** In war it is usually preferable to wound your enemy so that his
fellows must worry about transporting the wounded man, whereas if you
kill him, they can ignore the body and keep shooting at you.  A 200
popund soldier hit by one .223 is probably alive, and probably able to
move away, but he is not likely to keep firing at you and he has to
worry about keeping himself alive.

-Case Kim
Frozen Ghost

>If anyone would care to express an educated (or not so educated)
					     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (key exp.)
>opinion on why 55-65 gr. bullets work on people but not whitetails
>I'd appreciate it.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tom Stewart
>Canyon Lake, Texas

gary@gatech.edu (Gary Coffman) (04/22/91)

In article <549@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> plains!umn-cs!LOCAL!wytten@uunet.UU.NET (Dale Wyttenbach) writes:

>I think it's because the ballistics of a 5.56mm M-16 round and a
>.223 cal are different...the M-16 round is specially designed to
>tumble and roll on impact, wreaking havoc on flesh.

Urban legend. The M16 round and the commercial .223 rounds differ in
that the commercial round has an expanding bullet while the military
round does not. They are ballistically identical. The military round
is not designed to tumble. Both rounds *will* tumble if they strike
bone though the commercial round likely will deform so much that
the tumbling will go unnoticed in the wound channel.

>Folklore says that when the 5.56mm rounds don't tumble, the M-16 has
>very little stopping power compared to the Soviet AK-47, which fires a
>7.62mm round.  Incidentally, the U.S. M-60 machine gun (Rambo fired
>one from the hip, you remember :-) also uses a 7.62mm round, but I
>think it's backed with a lot more powder.

Indeed the 7.62 Nato round, identical to the .308 Winchester civilian
round, is much more powerful than the Soviet AKM round. Ballistically
the AKM round is about equivalent to a 30-30.

Gary

stsien@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Sherman Tsien) (04/24/91)

This is off the subject of hunting, but the thread of the discussion
has led me to wonder about the accuracy of recent statements to the
effect that "... the purpose of a military round is to wound, not
kill."  Is this right ?  I understand the "economics" argument, but it
seems to me that a dead enemy is better than a live one who might come
back at you some day.  Isn't "if we can't have 'killed', then we'll
settle for 'wounded', and the .223 is just fine for that." a better
statement ?

[Moderator's note:  This is getting a bit off the subject of hunting.
Please answer this through email and/or post it to sci.military or
rec.guns. tjr]

-sherman tsien
stsien@s.psych.uiuc.edu

tgl@slee01.srl.ford.com (Tom Leone) (04/26/91)

In article <544@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> tas@sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:

> However, I haven't really ever
>understood why a .223 is big enough for the military to shoot at
>200+ pound warriors in a battle but not big enough for a 50130 pound
>deer at rest.

Well, my guess is that quick oneshot kills are a lot more
important in deer hunting than in battle.  If the deer can
run for 5 minutes after being shot, you are not happy.
However, in a battle, most people who get shot in the guts
are likely to stop fighting immediately.  Later on, they
either die or become a burden on their army (at least while
they recover).

Just an opinion.

Tom Leone <tgl@slee01.srl.ford.com>

bud@ucrmath.ucr.edu (bud mckenzie) (05/02/91)

During my training in the Army, we were specifically told that the
.223 was very effective because wounding soldiers is better than
killing them:  Each wounded soldier is removed from battle, and
requires other soldiers to tend to them.  It also limits mobility,
and is harder on morale.

Bud