[rec.hunting] Learning to shoot

kapson@sparky.eecs.umich.edu (John Kapson) (05/01/91)

Recently someone posted a request for info on the 10/22 stating that
they were learning to shoot, etc.  I e-mailed my response directly to
him but now I'm curious about what others think about one point I
brought up.

When I learned to shoot, it was with a bolt-action single shot .22
(the same way Dad learned, the same way...  ;-) The reason I was told
was that you really pay attention to what you're doing when you've
only got one shot (especially when hunting!) as opposed to just
blasting away with a full clip (as I tend to do with my 9mm 8^).

Were others ever taught this philosophy?  Anyone have an opinion on
whether learning this way may be more/less beneficial?  Please post

John Kapson   IEEE ACM _NRA_
"Help! I'm trapped in a Politically Correct university and can't get out!"

tproctor@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Tom Proctor) (05/02/91)

I have always  thought that a bolt action gun is more

accurate then a semi-automatic because it holds the casing tighter.

I have always used a British .303 for hunting, or a single shot

10 gage.  With a punkin Ball.

pfeiffer@NMSU.Edu (05/02/91)

kapson@sparky.eecs.umich.edu (John Kapson) says:
   Recently someone posted a request for info on the 10/22 stating that
   they were learning to shoot, etc.  I e-mailed my response directly to
   him but now I'm curious about what others think about one point I
   brought up.

   When I learned to shoot, it was with a bolt-action single shot .22
   (the same way Dad learned, the same way...  ;-) The reason I was told
   was that you really pay attention to what you're doing when you've
   only got one shot (especially when hunting!) as opposed to just
   blasting away with a full clip (as I tend to do with my 9mm 8^).

   Were others ever taught this philosophy?  Anyone have an opinion on
   whether learning this way may be more/less beneficial?  Please post

I believe you are correct, though in my case from the perspective of
trap shooting.  I've gotten to where I only load one barrel (my
shotgun is an over/under), because I actually do much better when I'm
not planning my second shot before I get the first one off!  Now I'm a
poor shotgun shooter, but I'm much worse with rifle and pistol.  I
believe at this point that getting semi-auto arms to learn these with
(as I did) was a mistake; but I'm getting better about paying
attention...

-Joe.

JJD118@psuvm.psu.edu (John Donovan) (05/02/91)

I learned at summer camp on an old bolt action .22LR.  I think part of
the reason was to keep a bunch of 10-12 yearolds from going insane on
the range.  Another part of the phlosphy on why a bolt action for
learning is cost, you can get a good used gun in my area(central PA)
for 50-75 cost for a younger shooter may be a major concern.  For an
older shooter this may be less of a concern but it does not make sense
to go spend lots on a super gun if you are not shure you like the
sport.

In many states a semi is illegal to hunt with.  This may not be true
in your area now but, you may move and laws change so it would be a
drag to own a $200 plinking toy .

Also a semi gun helps form bad habits fast.  With a semi you seem to
think more about #of shots than aim.  With a bolt gun you have to aim
carefully because unless it is a tin can it will run if you miss.
Semi guns get costly fast.  Me and 2 friends went out and blew 9000
rounds in just a few hours.  We would have shot more but we had only
one clip and had to reload before we could shoot again.  I am a person
who believes in carefuly selected an well aimed shots over spray and
pray.  I think any responsable hunter would.  The bolt gun I admit may
not be as much fun but, I would rather have less fun than start bad
habits now that will take a long time to break later.

The net net result is everyone has a suggestion, but its your $$$ and
your life so you have to be happy with what you do, take all advice
with a grain of salt.
 John Donovan student lab attendent at   |
  Penn State University                  |   Oh gosh this is going to hurt
 Internet JJD118@PSUVM.PSU.EDU           |
 Bitnet   JJD118@PSUVM                   |    Usually said late friday

hes@ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu (Henry E. Schaffer) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.080256.20018@doug.cae.wisc.edu> kapson@sparky.eecs.umich.edu (John Kapson) writes:
>When I learned to shoot, it was with a bolt-action single shot .22

  I also learned with a rifle like that, and taught my son to shoot
with the same rifle.  (I had it reblued last summer - but that is
another story.)  I agree that it does make the shooter pay more
attention to each shot.  It also presents them with a less complicated
situation (many fewer state variables) so that more attention can
be paid to other factors such as safety and marksmanship.  It also
is harder for the learner to do something dumb, and it is easier to
prevent this, than it is with a semi-automatic or a handgun.

--henry schaffer  n c state univ

v085hqww@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (John J Tetlow) (05/02/91)

Hello,
	Well, my brother and father taught me to shoot when I was quite young.
They made me learn to reload shells if we shot skeet, and often arranged
competitions between my sister and I with .22's. I hate to lose to her, and
I had less to reload if I didn't miss much, so I learned to do my best.
Later on I discovered that ammo didn't grow on trees, I was poor,and
lesson number two was learned.  Lastly, when I started deer hunting, I was
shown or came across deer that had suffered with wounds from poor shots. I hit
a ten point buck that same year and dropped him where he stood.  The problem
was after a few seconds, he got up,jumped a fence, and ran/limped away.  I
tracked him as long as it was light, blood was everywhere, but I couldn't find
him.  I truly felt that I had done something wrong.  That is when my brother
said to me, "It's better to let one go than to just hit it and not kill it."
I must admit that with adrenaline flowing and your heart pounding it is
not always easy to abide by that rule.  It is also frustrating to leave
empty handed, but I feel responsible hunting involves thinking.
	Anyhow, I didn't mean for this post to preach ethics.  Just that
with a good teacher, shooting/hunting is really a great pastime.

					John T.

P.S. My brother taught me to call turkeys too.  I called my first gobbler in
last year.  It was HUGE.  Well, decent size anyhow.  Too bad my buddy spooked
it before I could shoot.  Such is life.

roa@davinci.acc.virginia.edu ("Robert O. Anderson Jr") (05/03/91)

      I received my first gun for Christmas, I was six years old. It
was a Remington Model 552 (22 semiauto). My dad always preached the
bennies of the first shot, but being a kid, I liked the Rambo
effect. We always started out with the same number of shells...
He came home with squirrels and shells.....I came home empty handed.
      I sold that gun to a fellow for $45 (needed money for school)
12 years later. The year I got married (5 years after I sold it), I
bought it back from the same man.....for $65. Needless to say, I still
have it.
      My teenage years were exciting.....I'd blast away at deer, but
I always heard only one shot from the direction of the old man. I can
hear the old man now, "Boy, when are you going to learn to look down
the gun barrel?"
      It took me awhile to learn the importance of the first shot...
..while hunting.....and the rewards are much greater.

    =======================================
        bobby@virginia.edu   (Internet)
         bobby@virginia       (BITNET)
    =======================================

HUDSON%EIVAX%UALR.BitNet@vms3.macc.wisc.edu (05/03/91)

>...taught to shoot with a single shot .22....

This is the way I was taught about shooting and it seems to be fairly
common, at least in the South, Texas and Arkansas in particular.
Shooting for my family usually meant hunting, some plinking at cans,
etc... .  As a boy of about 8 or 9, I was given a Remington .22 bolt
single shot (which my brother currently has) and a Mossberg (I think?)
bolt .410 shotgun.  We never shot at targets, but were expected to
"make each shot count" (sounds like "whites of their eyes" and
"remember the Alamo", doesn't it???).  It turns out to have worked
pretty well.  I do shoot at targets now, informal 25 yard pistol and
NRA/DCM Highpower Rifle.  It sure helps my sight picture and shot
placement in hunting.  I will use the same techniques with my children
in a few years, but will teach them on targets to start.

I have had a few friends who learned how to shoot at older ages, and
bought very nice weapons, semi-auto or pump, and noticed they tended
to "blast away".  I think that is a learned trait, not a function of
gun type.  I use only semi-auto rifles and shotguns, and I still use
the old one shot technique, using the semi-auto action to allow me to
remain still for additional shots at other animals who hang around,
even with all the uproar.

Keith Hudson
hudson%eivax@ualr.bitnet

wolf@netcom.COM (Buckskin Tech.) (05/03/91)

kapson@sparky.eecs.umich.edu (John Kapson) writes:

>When I learned to shoot, it was with a bolt-action single shot .22
>(the same way Dad learned, the same way...  ;-) The reason I was told
>was that you really pay attention to what you're doing when you've
>only got one shot (especially when hunting!) as opposed to just
>blasting away with a full clip (as I tend to do with my 9mm 8^).

>Were others ever taught this philosophy?  Anyone have an opinion on
>whether learning this way may be more/less beneficial?  Please post

Yes, I learned to shoot with a bolt-action single-shot .22.  In my case,
it was more a matter of "that's-the-gun-I-got-and-I-can't-afford-a-new-one".
I did learn to appreciate the feel of having "one chance" to get it right.
Sort of made the whole thing more challenging.  Since I've discovered
black powder, I've been glad I learned the way I did.  I know people who
won't even try powder because it's "too much work".

>John Kapson   IEEE ACM _NRA_
>"Help! I'm trapped in a Politically Correct university and can't get out!"

 - Wolf

averett@cs.unc.edu (Shava Averett) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May1.080256.20018@doug.cae.wisc.edu> kapson@sparky.eecs.umich.edu (John Kapson) writes:
>When I learned to shoot, it was with a bolt-action single shot .22
>(the same way Dad learned, the same way...  ;-) The reason I was told
>was that you really pay attention to what you're doing when you've
>only got one shot (especially when hunting!) as opposed to just
>blasting away with a full clip (as I tend to do with my 9mm 8^).

My first shooting was with similar equipment, shooting at corn cobs tossed
out on the ice of the farm pond, same reasoning.  At first, I got to wait
for the corncobs to stop skittering...;-)

Shava Nerad Averett
shava@rad.unc.edu