[rec.hunting] Ruger 10-22

tomfal@tr6.wes.army.mil (Tom Faller) (04/30/91)

Gary K.:

I have a Ruger 1022 which is about a year old now. I like it, and
would recommend it to anyone just starting to shoot. It's easy to
load, easy to check if it's loaded and it the safety's on, both
important characteristics if you're a beginner or not. It has good
sights for close shooting, which is what you'll mainly do as a
beginner. It also has a scope mount, if you want to add a scope, a
good feature for later. It's light, easy to point, and looks good. You
can also "dress it up" with inexpensive accessories, making it a gun
that will fit several images of a .22 for you. It's easy to find
service, and parts, and Ruger has been a stable company for years. All
in all, it's a gun that's tough to go wrong with.

I have had .22 rounds jam in my gun, although my brother, who has a
1022 doesn't have this problem. I think it's the type of ammo I'm
using, as well as maybe a little initial breaking in problem. It's a
minor thing, one or two rounds out of a 30round clip, sometimes.

Other good choices that I've shot are:
Winchester leveraction .22  although not a semiauto, this light
gun is fun to shoot, inexpensive, and accurate. Can't comment on
cleaning it, though.

Remington Nylon .22  lightest of all guns, and from the examples
I've shot and seen in pawn shops, almost indestructable.

Marlin semiauto .22's  a variety of models  always a great buy,
usually accurate, longer (quieter), and easy to scope, if I remember.
They've been making .22's a LONG time, and make a lot of them.

.22's I might try someday:
The Interarms clone of the classic Browning .22  the one with the
big stock, tiny receiver, and skinny barrel. A beautiful gun at a
cheap price.

The Charter Arms takedown .22  I've heard that Charter Arms is out
of business, but I still see these around. Not my first choice, with
cheap receiver, bad paint, and a rough feel, but they take down into
their own stock, and then float. Who could resist?

Some of the "Assault Pistol" .22's  for fun only, but what fun!

Good luck,
Tom Faller

hale@UCSD.EDU (Bob Hale) (05/04/91)

In article <1991Apr30.072119.13836@doug.cae.wisc.edu> tomfal@tr6.wes.army.mil (Tom Faller) writes:
>I have had .22 rounds jam in my gun, although my brother, who has a
>1022 doesn't have this problem. I think it's the type of ammo I'm
>using, as well as maybe a little initial breaking in problem. It's a
>minor thing, one or two rounds out of a 30round clip, sometimes.

Since you are using a 30 round magazine I'll assume that it's one
of the popular aftermarket magazines.  I have never had any jamming
problem with the 10 round Ruger magazines but I did encounter a
problem with a 30 round Ram Line magazine that would jam several
times per fill.  I returned it to Ram Line and received a replacement
(or possibly the same one repaired) in about 10 days and have had
no problems with the replacement.  You might try returning your
magazine to the manufacturer - most manufacturers are quite responsive.

Bob Hale                        ...!ucsd!btree!hale
619-535-3234                    ...!btree!hale@ucsd.edu