[rec.hunting] Exotics?

joseph@uunet.uu.net (05/04/91)

I've never hunted exotics, but someone from the office here went to
Texas for a long weekend and came back with a record size axis deer
trohpy that looks good to me. :-)

The animal was taken at about 140 yards with a .30-06. The rack was
easily larger than any listed on record. The rack is being varified
for the record (Boone & Crockette ? sp?) and the head is being taxi'ed.
They're beautiful animals, small, tan with medium sized white spots
on their backs. Huge, vertical racks.

Cheryl's father also took an axis deer as well as some weird antelope
with long spikes that spiral upward about 2-1/2 to 3 ft long.

These aren't just trophy animals. The Axis is supposed to be the best
tasting of the deer family available in North Am. But then, for what
it costs it had better be good.

These animals were imported (from Africa, I think) and have thrived in
the Texas area.

As it was explained to me, she had to pay for a guide, about $100 per
day, so that you'd know whose ranch you were on if you took an animal.
If you are successful, the guide then directs you to the owner of the
ranch so you can pay them ~$750 per aminal taken, regardless of species.

My wife's already told me that when we get $1000 with nothing else to
spend it on I, too, can go hunt the Axis deer. :-)

Do any of you Lone Star State types know if the Axis deer has migrated
to public property were they can be hunted for less than the $750?

Anyone know anything about hunting javalina in New Mexico? They're
supposed to be really good eating also.

-Joseph Crunk

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May4.063633.7851@doug.cae.wisc.edu> smosjc!joseph@uunet.uu.net writes:
>I've never hunted exotics, but someone from the office here went to
>Texas for a long weekend and came back with a record size axis deer
>trohpy that looks good to me. :-)

Hmmm, I'm not sure that I would travel all the way to Texas to satisfy
some vain trophy hunt. :-(

>The animal was taken at about 140 yards with a .30-06. The rack was

Nice shot.

>easily larger than any listed on record. The rack is being varified
>for the record (Boone & Crockette ? sp?) and the head is being taxi'ed.
>They're beautiful animals, small, tan with medium sized white spots
>on their backs. Huge, vertical racks.

Yes, axis are very beautiful.  That is why I cannot understand why
one would kill one for a trophy.

>Cheryl's father also took an axis deer as well as some weird antelope
>with long spikes that spiral upward about 2-1/2 to 3 ft long.
>
>These aren't just trophy animals. The Axis is supposed to be the best
>tasting of the deer family available in North Am. But then, for what
>it costs it had better be good.

Oh, so you intend to eat the animal.  In that case, I suppose
the hunt isn't purely an exercise in vanity.  However, why not
hunt North American deer during deer season to help keep their
population within sane limits instead of importing animals to
kill???

>These animals were imported (from Africa, I think) and have thrived in
>the Texas area.

Actually, I've read news articles that exposed some of these shady
practices (not to say that your stories are part of that).  In
some cases, the animals are kept in small fenced in plots of land
making it more like a turkey shoot for those with lots of money
and no desire for a true "hunt."

>As it was explained to me, she had to pay for a guide, about $100 per
>day, so that you'd know whose ranch you were on if you took an animal.
>If you are successful, the guide then directs you to the owner of the
>ranch so you can pay them ~$750 per aminal taken, regardless of species.
>
>My wife's already told me that when we get $1000 with nothing else to
>spend it on I, too, can go hunt the Axis deer. :-)
>
>Do any of you Lone Star State types know if the Axis deer has migrated
>to public property were they can be hunted for less than the $750?
>
>Anyone know anything about hunting javalina in New Mexico? They're
>supposed to be really good eating also.

Um...has it occurred to you to just spend your hard earned money
travelling to a country in Africa where these animals are native?
Why pay some opportunist all that money when you could have a nice
vacation trip, a good hunt, and exposure to another country/culture?
I'd rather have that $$$ go to a knowledgable guide in the real
African "outback" than some fat cat opportunist in the states.
>From the prices that you cite above, the cost wouldn't be much
different (and you'd rack up those frequent flyer miles to boot!).
:-)

Just my $.02 (and probably all its worth)...

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Mauritz | Cuba's *superior* human rights record is only part of the
--------------|        -Harel Barzilai-