[rec.hunting] Bow Stabilizers

marko@hutch (Mark O'Shea) (05/15/91)

Hi,

It's me again with another question about bows.  I have been practicing
and I like my bow.  I have a question about stabilizers.  Are they worth
the cost (not that much) and do they work?  I notice I seem to let the bow
rise after I release.  I have the bow sighted in at 20 yards and am
practicing shooting at that range.  I have a tendency to shoot high
and believe it is due to the way I let the bow come up after release.
Will a stabilizer help.

If they are a good idea, what weight?  They seem to come in different
weights from 8oz-16oz for hunting.

Thanks,
Mark O'Shea
marko@ijf1.intel.com

mikew@uunet.UU.NET (Mr. Mike Weaver; ACS (OP)) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.055819.10655@doug.cae.wisc.edu> marko@hutch (Mark O'Shea) writes:

>Hi,

..I notice I seem to let the bow
>rise after I release.  I have the bow sighted in at 20 yards and am
>practicing shooting at that range.  I have a tendency to shoot high
>and believe it is due to the way I let the bow come up after release.
>Will a stabilizer help.

Yes, and No. When I switched bows a few years back, I had the same problem
of raising the bow on the shot, but in my case, it was because I had too
tight a grip on the bow, and not enough patience to get the sight pin on
target before releasing. I went and got a bow-strap that screws into the
same hole as the stabilizer would, and with that, I could relax my hand.
Your problem might not be the sam as mine though...

As far as a stabilizer goes, I think they really help, and I have a short
Easton hunting stabilizer that I use. (8oz I think - my bow is home, and I'm
at school :-(
I like the way the stabilizer helps steady the bow upon release. If you
plan on hunting (and getting a stabilizer) don't forget that the longer
the stabilizer is, the more difficult the bow will be to maneuver in the
woods.

>Thanks,
>Mark O'Shea
>marko@ijf1.intel.com

Hope that helps,
Mike Weaver
mikew@umbc4.umbc.edu

roa@davinci.acc.virginia.edu ("Robert O. Anderson Jr") (05/17/91)

Mike Weaver writes:
>Yes, and No. When I switched bows a few years back, I had the same problem
>of raising the bow on the shot, but in my case, it was because I had too
>tight a grip on the bow, and not enough patience to get the sight pin on
>target before releasing. I went and got a bow-strap that screws into the
>same hole as the stabilizer would, and with that, I could relax my hand.
>Your problem might not be the sam as mine though...

>As far as a stabilizer goes, I think they really help, and I have a short
>Easton hunting stabilizer that I use. (8oz I think - my bow is home, and I'm
>at school :-(
>I like the way the stabilizer helps steady the bow upon release. If you
>plan on hunting (and getting a stabilizer) don't forget that the longer
>the stabilizer is, the more difficult the bow will be to maneuver in the
>woods.

      A bow-strap(bow sling) is a nice addition.....it'll eliminate
bow torque caused by a tight grip. I've heard of fellows shooting
left or right because of a tight grip on the bow, but it just
depends on how you hold it.
      Stabilizers....I'm not sure whether mine affects the point
of impact, but the bow isn't as jumpy and is certainly quieter
upon release.
      Now that the big buck is coming your way, all you have to do
stick 'im with an arrow. You can forget about A) a smooth draw and not
using the release trigger to pull back the string, B) picking the
right sight pin, C) loose grip on the bow, D) aiming at a small
spot behind his shoulder, E) squeezing the trigger on the release.
Piece 'o cake.

Bobby