[rec.hunting] Solunar Tables....Do you believe in them?

keith@clodii.columbiasc.NCR.COM (05/16/91)

  Hi,
  Do you pay attention to the Solunar Tables which are published in
many newspapers, almanacs, and hunting mags. before you go deer
hunting?  I do see some increase in animal activity during the minor
and major periods. For instance, if I am going a particular morning
and the tables indicate a major period from 9:30 am to 11:15 am I will
hunt at least until 11:30 am that morning. If they indicate a period
beginning at 2:00 pm I will try to get to my stand that afternoon
before 1:45 pm. This is not to say that I never hunt when there is no
period indicated because I do and I see deer movement some of these
times too. The one time I see the least deer movement it seems is
when there is a full moon in the sky.

Solunar tables are based on the moon for one thing. I once read how
they were determined but I cannot remember now. What are your thoughts
and experiences on the tables? Do you keep track of them while
hunting? If not, maybe you should.. Also, is any one familiar with the
old wives tale that if the cows are up and feeding then the deer will
likely be feeding too?? Do you know of any other sayings which might
apply here? Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. In the above sentence where I indicate that I see litle deer movement
     when there is a full moon, I am refering to hunting during legal hours
     of course! ;-)) Sometimes the full moon will linger on into daylight
     hours in the fall.
---
| Keith M. Boyd  (NCR E&M Cola.) |  Nothing could be fina' than huntin' and  |
| 3325 Platt Springs Rd.  _______|  fishin' in South Carolina!  -Me-         |
| West Cola., S.C. 29170 | Std Disclaimers | keith@clodII.columbiasc.NCR.COM |
| ph: 803-791-6419  |   From uunet: !uunet!ncrcom!ncrcae!sauron!clodII!keith |

davidsen@rdsunx.crd.ge.com (William E Davidsen) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May16.074120.16769@doug.cae.wisc.edu>,
keith@clodii.columbiasc.NCR.COM writes:

|>   Do you pay attention to the Solunar Tables which are published in
|> many newspapers, almanacs, and hunting mags. before you go deer
|> hunting?

  The best time to go hunting is when you have time to go hunting. I
don't care what the tables say. However, if I only have time for a few
hours in a given day, I do sometimes look at the tables and hunt at the
possibly better times.

  However, be aware that local conditions, such as a front moving
through, will have more effect than the moon. The tables are are useful
thing to consider, but they are only one factor.

|> Solunar tables are based on the moon for one thing. I once read how
|> they were determined but I cannot remember now. What are your thoughts
|> and experiences on the tables?

  I have had wonderful luck fishing at the time of the major period. For
hunting I have not noticed a great deal of effect. I still look at them,
however, because it can't hurt.

wasserbu@ihlpl.att.com (Michael F Wasserburger) (05/21/91)

> In article <1991May16.074120.16769@doug.cae.wisc.edu>,
> keith@clodii.columbiasc.NCR.COM writes:
>
>      Do you pay attention to the Solunar Tables which are published in
>    many newspapers, almanacs, and hunting mags. before you go deer
>    hunting?

  Our deer season in IL is 3 days long, so phases of the moon
are not taken into consideration.  I also hunt the WI deer
season (which is 9 days long) and I don't pay attention to
phases of the moon then either.

  However, I've had good Elk hunting guides tell me to
plan Elk hunting dates around the correct moon phases.
First, Elk hunting seasons are generally a month or
several months in duration so planning can be done.
The theory is that elk do most of their feeding at
night.  If a full moon is out they can see well enough
to feed during the night and they get their butts back
into heavy cover as soon as the sun comes up.

  The key is to pick a time to hunt during a new moon
(no moon out means less light at night to feed by).
This way the probability of the elk staying out in the
meadows longer in the mornings to feed is higher, thus
the probability of seeing elk is higher.

  I have no experience to back this up, it's just what
one elk guide told me a few years ago and seems to make
sense.

Mike Wasserburger
att.com!ihlpl!wasserbu