[rec.hunting] Bear Stories...

icsg0007@cs.montana.edu (05/22/91)

I am just trying to keep rec.hunting alive. If some others would post
then you wouldn't have to read my boring stories.

Several days ago I posted an article about a nice black bear that I
lucked into while whitetail hunting. Well the next spring I was
inbetween jobs and decided to try to get another bear. Here are some
entries from my hunting diary. I am not going to take the time write
it better so bear with me; no pun intended.

FIRST SIGHTING 1988
 I don't remember the date but it was probably about the first of May.
 I spotted a small black bear about mid way up the Bridger Mts. at 2:15
 pm. It was feeding in a South facing meadow while I was a little higher
 on a knob across a saddle. Well it didn't take me long to cover the 600 yds
 over to him. I finally found him again and got a little in front of his
 direction of travel. Soon he fed within about 20 yds of me. By then I
 realized that he was just a youngster and not what I was looking for.
 So, I quivered my arrow and watched him untill finaly there came a
 slight downhill breeze and he took off downwind. Four hours later I saw
 him at the top of the next ridge grazing away again. I hope any one else
 who saw him passed him up too.

SECOND SIGHTING 1988
  After getting bored with the Bridgers I took Hank South to the Gallatins
  and were about 20 min. from the truck when we spotted a bear about 90
  yards in front of and a little above us. We dropped our packs and tried
 to get closer. He had a beautiful light brown coat. We could only get within
 about 50 yards because it was dry (noisy) and he kept feeding away
 from us. He wasn't a big bear but he sure was pretty. I hadn't for sure
 decided not to take him so I kept trying to get closer. He finally got a
 whiff of us and was on the alert. Those things can't see worth a dang.
 As long as we didn't move while he was looking at us we were okay. Anyhow
 I don't know if he smelled us good and was just stupid or if he smelled
 the antelope stink that was still on my shirt from two seasons ago
 when I packed a buck a few miles to the truck, and  it confused him.
 I think that he was just dumb.
  Since he was uphill from us and the wind so unpredictable we couldn't
  get closer. He was still kind of feeding around moving uphill but every
  minute or so he would climb up on an old stump and sit and watch down
  hill from him and stick his old sniffer up in the air. Don't you know
  that I had opted to bring my spotting scope instead of my camera with
  the 200 mm zoom lense which was back in the truck.
  I mean he had a beautiful coat.  I might have taken him for several
  reasons one being that Hank would have gotten a big kick out of it.
  If I had been by myself I don't think that I would have. But that
  doesn't matter because he finally got up to the timber and took off
  up the mountain.  The next day I spotted a sow with two yearling
  cubs way up in the Bridger Mts. They were all three different
  colors.

FIRST TRIP TO THE MADISONS
  The next day (May 27th) Teena and I went 60  miles South of here to the
  Madisons for the weekend and spotted a bear 30 min. before dark and
  too far away for a stalk. The next morning at the crack of dawn I
  headed up to where we saw the bear. I get delayed several times by having
  to take pictures of elk, mt peaks and a strutting spruce grouse.
  Elk were very plentiful so I was distracted a lot. Finally I got up
  in the right area and saw a couple of coyotes coming through the woods
  towards me. They noticed something different and stopped at about 22 yds.
  Wrong thing to do because by then I had knocked an arrow and was at
  full draw.  At the shot they took off down the hill with one dropping
  behind a little. I pulled the blood covered arrow out of the ground
  and followed. One hundred yds later and not a drop of blood could be
  found, but I had seen where they had gone and after a few minutes found a
  dead coyote that won't be getting anymore calf elk.
  So I kept moving along and saw a bull elk off in the edge of a small meadow.
  They are funny looking this time of year with their young antlers.
  This being the best bull yet I pulled out my camera, laid the bow down
  and proceeded to get closer. At about forty yards I took a few
  pictures and kept looking for others because they are gregarious
  critters most of the time. Something downhill of the bull kept his
  attention and finally I moved so I could see what it was. A good black
  bear. Well I backtracked to my bow and backpack and decided to take
  the camera too, remembering the good pictures that I could have had
  the other day with Hank. I must admit that I was getting pretty cocky.
  I had seen several bear lately and was thinking that they were not
  that tough of a big game animal to get. Well let me tell you. God
  opposes the proud and gives grace to the humble. And he made me humble
  before the season was over. I have a much greater respect for the
  black bear as a game animal now.
  Soon I noticed other elk coming into the meadow and counted six in all.
  Every one of them were bulls. It is common for the bulls to hang out
  together this time of year, just like other deer. So, I was in a
  predicament trying to get to this bear without spooking him or any of the
  elk. Finally the wind switched, the bulls smelled me and took off.
  This didn't seem to alarm the bear who was busy grazing away on the
  little greens growing in the meadow. So I finally got within about 30
  yds and took a picture of his butt since that was all he would show me.
  (Perfect time to have closed the gap and stuck him.) But no, I wanted
  to get a picture. He heard the shutter click and looked in my direction
  but couldn't see me since I was standing in the shadows. By then I had
  decided that he was probably as good a bear as a person could hope to
  get in MT and that I had better quit fooling around and take him.
  Well, I didn't feel comfortable with the 30 yd shot even though I
  was getting five inch groups at 35 yds the day before at practice
  and had killed a coyote at over 20 that morning. I took about three
  small steps out into the open when the wind switched. He looked in my
  direction while sniffing and started walking uphill. I should have
  plugged him when he stuck his nose up into the air. He out walked me
  up the hill and was 65 yds ahead of me when he went over the top. I
  never saw him again.
  The next morning I was in the same area and went around the whole mt
  without seeing any fresh sign of him. I am not sure if this was the same
  bear that Teena and I had seen the first evening or not. She had watched
  it more than I and thought that it was brown but looking to the west
  at that time of the day makes things a little cloudy in my spotting scope.
  I think that it is unlikely that there would have been two mature bears
  in the same area, too. So I would guess that it was the same bear.
  So, while up on top of this mt I was glassing all around even though
  it was 9:40 am by then and was a little late for bear breakfast in my
  mind. But I saw what appeared to be a nice black one about four miles
  away (in the wrong direction). I dug the spotting scope out sure
  enough that is what it was. It looked like a monster. Within a few
  minutes the bear left the meadow. It was probably full by then and
  getting pretty warm out in the sun like that.
  That bear is in the middle of a wilderness area at 8,000 ft and at
  least five miles from the nearest road. Well, if I had been alone I
  would have gone back to the truck, eaten, packed some food, and been
  there by four o'clock. But I didn't want to leave Teena and it wouldn 't
  have been a fun trip for her so I didn't go.

 to be continued.....

patvh%vice.ico.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Pat Van Hoomissen) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.071726.20996@doug.cae.wisc.edu> icsg0007@cs.montana.edu writes:
>I am just trying to keep rec.hunting alive. If some others would post
>then you wouldn't have to read my boring stories.

It was a good story. I have never hunted black bear here, although Oregon has
an estimated 25,000 animals. Some people hunt with dogs. Do you eat the meat?
Nice job on the coyote, they're harder to get close to than the bears it seems.