[rec.hunting] Pronghorn Question

icsg0007@cs.montana.edu (05/23/91)

I've a question for you pronghorn hunters. My wife harvested a nice
buck pronghorn a few years ago in northeastern Montana that had a
patch about 3.5"x18" running parallel and next to it's spine where all
the hair was gone. I mean there was NO hair. The hair adjacent to the
area looked fine and healthy (ie. no mange). The skin was a little dry
like one would expect it to be since it was exposed to the wind and
sun.

Any guesses to the cause? It wasn't long after the rut and I know that
they can get pretty rough with one another while fighting for their
harems. Maybe a buck ran this one through a fence a 60 mph. Or maybe
he tripped and fell while doing 60. That could tend to remove a little
hide.

If anyone has any words of wisdom on the matter I am interested in them.

Thanks,
.
.Any guesses to the cause? It wasn't long after the rut and I know that
.they can get pretty rough with one another while fighting for their
.harems. Maybe a buck ran this one through a fence a 60 mph. Or maybe
.he tripped and fell while doing 60. That could tend to remove a little
.hide.

Best guess, given the intelligence level of pronghorns, would be going
under a fence at high speed.  I have never understood why they will go
under a fence when they can so easily jump it.

Regards,
Mark O'Shea
marko@ijf1.intel.com

robert@uunet.UU.NET ("Robert A. Osborne") (05/30/91)

> marko@hutch (Mark O'Shea) writes
> In article <1991May23.022026.26000@doug.cae.wisc.edu.. icsg0007@cs.montana.edu writes:
> [about pronghorn with strip of hair missing (you know the one by now :-)]
>
> Best guess, given the intelligence level of pronghorns, would be going
> under a fence at high speed.  I have never understood why they will go
> under a fence when they can so easily jump it.

The explanation is in any good survival manual;  energy and risk.
Never jump/climb over anything you can walk around, (or under if you're
a pronghorn :-) jumping and climbing use a great deal of energy and
the risk of injury is very great.

Rob.