[rec.hunting] Laser Sights

jholand%peruvian@hellgate.utah.edu (John Holand) (05/23/91)

Does any one have any experience with using "laser sights"
on a 9mm pistol. I have a friend interesting in using
one to mount on a psitol that he has primarily for
home defense. The reason being that he wears glasses
and does not know if he could use his pistol
accurately if he could not get his glasses on.
  I am concerned about the laser sights that
projects a red dot that you place on the target
not the type with a scope were you super-impose
a red dot on the target. I have seen an used these for rifles
but they all looked to big for a pistol.
Any help is appreciated
John R. Holand
alias>skiBum

HUDSON%EIVAX%UALR.BitNet@vms3.macc.wisc.edu (05/28/91)

A recent submission asked about laser sights, or more specifically,
laser aim devices, for use on a 9mm pistol.  The smallest and probably
best for that application is the Laser Aim from Emerging Technologies
here in Little Rock, AR.  You will have to find a dealer to order you
one since they don't make direct sales (I don't think they do).

I have two of the lasers here in my laboratory, which we use for
optical alignment of instrumentation.  I need a small unit that can
fit in close spaces, and these do the job.  They are about 3 in long
and a little less than an inch in diameter.  They project about a half
inch dot at distances up to about one hundred yards.  They are
advertised to work to 300-500 yards.  Check one out and see what you
think.

Keith Hudson
hudson%eivax@ualr.bitnet

tmx@occrsh.att.com (05/30/91)

  John writes a friend of his is interested in Laser Sights for his
9mm pistol, that is used primarily for "home defense".  It states that
the friend wears glasses and thinks the laser sight would help.
Everything taken into consideraration, he would be better off in my
opinion with a "Shotgun".

Number 1.  A shotgun doesnt care if he wears glasses or not (Just point it)

Number 2.  A shotgun doesnt have to be aimed (Just point it)

Number 3.  A shotgun wont shoot through as many walls as a pistol,
           except if your using BUCKSHOT.  So the chance of shooting a
           bystander is remote

Number 4.  Hearing a shotgun being racked back, over a slide on an automatic
           being released or a hammer being cocked;  I can guarantee the shot-
           gun noise would terrorize the S**T out of me "MORE" !!!!!!!!

  This is just one of my many opinions on many topics.  Take it for
what its worth, use it or put it in the round file.

tmx@occrsh.ATT.COM
alais Jim Bruner, the Red Neck Okie!

andy@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (Andy Freeman) (05/31/91)

[Moderator's note - this thread has left the relm of rec.hunting.
Please direct followups to rec.guns or talk.politics.guns.  tjr]

In article <1991May30.080544.14143@doug.cae.wisc.edu> tmx@occrsh.att.com writes:
>  John writes a friend of his is interested in Laser Sights for his
>9mm pistol, that is used primarily for "home defense".  It states that
>the friend wears glasses and thinks the laser sight would help.
>Everything taken into consideraration, he would be better off in my
>opinion with a "Shotgun".
>
>Number 1.  A shotgun doesnt care if he wears glasses or not (Just point it)
>
>Number 2.  A shotgun doesnt have to be aimed (Just point it)

If the poster is suggesting that this is something peculiar to
shotguns, he's wrong.  The pattern size at close range is fairly
small, at least for legal barrel lengths.  (I don't know about barrels
shorter than 18.5".)  So, if you can hit with a shotgun at close range
without aiming, you can hit with anything else.

I go shooting with a lot of novice women.  They all consistently hit
center of mass at 7-10 feet from the very first shot.  (When they
start worrying about their aim, it does get worse, but that's soon
fixed.)  People do instinctively point fairly accurately, and that's
just as true with handguns as it is with shotguns.

>Number 3.  A shotgun wont shoot through as many walls as a pistol,
>           except if your using BUCKSHOT.  So the chance of shooting a
>           bystander is remote.

Note that this comparison is true only because poster assumes that a
shotgun user will use appropriate ammo, but that the handgun user
won't.  If the handgun user is concerned about overpenetration, he can
solve the problem as well as a shotgun user can.

Long guns in general, and shotguns in particular, are two handed
weapons and are less suitable for indoor use than handguns.  They're
easier to take away, they provide a nice lever for that, and few of us
have the third arm necessary for dialing a phone, opening a door, and
so on, while holding a long gun at maximum readyiness.  Remember,
you've often got to do something AFTER you've caught him and have him
covered.

>Number 4.  Hearing a shotgun being racked back, over a slide on an automatic
>           being released or a hammer being cocked;  I can guarantee the shot-
>           gun noise would terrorize the S**T out of me "MORE" !!!!!!!!

How much experience dos the poster have as a burglar/in-home-attacker?
None?  He wouldn't think of breaking in to someone's house?  Then
what's the relevance of what scares him?

Don't get me wrong; I like shotguns and they're wonderful for some
situations, such as those with two people or some space.

-andy
--
UUCP:    {arpa gateways, sun, decwrl, uunet, rutgers}!neon.stanford.edu!andy
ARPA:    andy@neon.stanford.edu

gary@gatech.edu (Gary Coffman) (06/04/91)

Note: I've directed followups to rec.guns as this isn't really a hunting
subject though the information presented is important to hunters.

In article <1991May30.080544.14143@doug.cae.wisc.edu> tmx@occrsh.att.com writes:

>  John writes a friend of his is interested in Laser Sights for his
>9mm pistol, that is used primarily for "home defense".  It states that
>the friend wears glasses and thinks the laser sight would help.
>Everything taken into consideraration, he would be better off in my
>opinion with a "Shotgun".
>
>Number 1.  A shotgun doesnt care if he wears glasses or not (Just point it)
>
>Number 2.  A shotgun doesnt have to be aimed (Just point it)

You should pattern your shotgun at <12 feet before making these statements.
Typical shotgun patterns at 12 feet run about an inch and a half. This
is hardly better than a .45 slug. You *do* need to aim a shotgun as carefully
as a pistol to be effective at home defense ranges. Even at maximum hunting
ranges of around 40 yards, the pattern only opens up to about 36-40 inches.
This means that a two degree aiming error will totally miss the target.
If you "just point it", you'll miss a lot.

Gary