[rec.hunting] Bobby Andersons' Story

keith@clodII.ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM (Keith Boyd) (06/13/91)

> From: "Robert O. Anderson Jr" <roa@davinci.acc.virginia.edu>
>
> ...It's about time for another story....

What a great story it was too, Bobby. I enjoyed it alot but not nearly
as much as your son Lee did!  :-))

> November 20, 1989.... First day of gun season for deer.  ...But just a

It just goes to show that you can get away with alot on the first few days
of gun season including inexperience but after a few days it gets tougher.

>       At 11:00 AM on opening day, the guys decided to "drive the pines
> before lunch".....that's what we wanted to hear. We took off to get on

I was a little disappointed to read that the the club in general was ready
to drive (I assume a man drive) on the very first day. I realize that not
everyone will get a buck on the first morning but I have been fortunate to
get one on opening day the last 5 years in a row. Maybe I am used to our
2 1/2 month season (S.C.) as compared to your 2 week season. My club does
not drive until after gun season has been open 5 or 6 weeks.

> I held thinking, 'whole load gut shot....take your time....'

Very wise decision. Wouldn't you hate to have wounded and lost this *fine*
buck?

>  Now those of you that have hunted a lot
> and have shot a lot of game, know that at the crack of the gun, if the
> scene were to go blank, you'd just KNOW whether to put money on that
> particular shot or not.

True. I have gotten to the point where I can tell with reasonable certainty
whether I hit the deer or not. Most of it comes from remembering *exactly*
where the crosshair was at when squeezing the trigger and watching the reaction
of the deer.

> coached Lee in approaching from the backside incase the deer should
> explode and as we eased within 6 yards Lee's gun slowly raised up and

I do this also. You never know for sure until you can nudge it with your
boot in the backbone and see if the deer responds.

>       It's now hanging in Lee's room.....the only mounted head in the
> house. Main beams at base are 5.5 inches and 19" inside spread,
> between the third and fourth tines on each beam it's 4.5 in. Total
> points 16.  Longest tine is 14 inches. It scored 157 B&C Typical and
> 220 B&C Non-Typical.  It's a true trophy and he has been told by more
> than one that his hunting seasons from now on will be "down hill."
>
> Bobby

A fine trophy for even the most experienced hunter let alone a beginning
hunter.  So, how much did it weigh? Were the other club members willing
to assist with the dragging chores or did you manage yourself? Thanks
for sharing this with us.

Keith Boyd

---
| Keith M. Boyd  (NCR E&M Cola.) |  Nothing could be fina' than huntin' and  |
| 3325 Platt Springs Rd.  _______|  fishin' in South Carolina!  -Me-         |
| West Cola., S.C. 29170 | Std Disclaimers | keith@clodII.columbiasc.NCR.COM |
| ph: 803-791-6419  |   From uunet: !uunet!ncrcom!ncrcae!sauron!clodII!keith |