[rec.hunting] Poaching

averett@cs.unc.edu (Shava Averett) (06/04/91)

In article <1991May31.094933.27675@doug.cae.wisc.edu> HUDSON%EIVAX%UALR.BitNet@vms3.macc.wisc.edu writes:
>While I am at it, how about the media (and just about everyone else) calling
>people that shoot up property or hunt illegally "hunters"?  I always thought
>that people who shoot up other property were called "VANDALS" and that illegal
>"hunters" were called "POACHERS".  I think both can be called "CRIMINALS".

While we're on the subject, if I hear one more person who characterizes
hunters according to "those bad men who killed Bambi's mother," I swear I'll
...well...do something unladylike in their general direction.

Has anyone else in the *world* noticed (and informed these people) that the
hunters in Bambi were poaching?  That's what *I* call hunting does in the
spring.  And their behavior is really pretty irresponsible and reprehensible.
They start a forest fire on one visit.  Maybe the NRA or someone should
sponsor a tour of the movie with a hunter education film at the beginning,
to tell little kids that hunters aren't all like this?  I suppose that
wouldn't work, really, but you get the idea.

Just letting off a little steam...

Shava Nerad Averett
shava@rad.unc.edu
/* any triangle folks want to get together for a game potluck this fall? */

patter@bellcore.bellcore.com (06/19/91)

Brush up on your history a little. "Bambi" takes place in Europe (where
the author lived). The sort of "game drive" and "if it moves, shoot it"
hunting described in here was common before WW II. It's a hold-over from
the medaeval days in which a landowner would drive the game to get enough
food for a feast.

I always thought it ironic that the roe deer characterized in "Bambi" is
actually a very anti-social character. They require lots of room in zoos
because the buck will kill the doe if he's forced into close proximity with
her outside of the mating season. Not exactly the innocent image normally
evoked by "Bambi".

[Moderator's Note: It was important that this correction be noted.
However, this thread is starting to leave the realm of rec.hunting.
Followups will probably not be posted...  tjr]