[rec.hunting] Novice would like help

wbp@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu (05/14/91)

     I've been reading this newsgroup with some interest since its
inception.  I would like to ask all who would reply (either by e-mail
or postings) to share with me experiences regarding getting started in
hunting, safety in hunting and anything else you might want to relate.

For example, I am a devout handgunner and am therefore (naturally)
interested in handgun hunting.  I haven't done any to date, mainly out
of pure, unadultered fear.  I have spoken with many people who share my
fear -- which is fear for my safety while in the woods.  The increasing
reports of hunters that have been injured (shot) by other hunters is
appalling and rather discouraging, especially when one has been regaled
with books and tales about hunting.  Are today's hunters really that
irresponsible?

I am especially interested in Florida hunting, specifically whitetail,
although the rather smallish deer here are a little disappointing when
compared to my memories of Michigan whitetails.  I know next to nothing
about this subject, let alone how to field dress anything that I may be
fortunate enough to bag.  Anyone care to start up a correspondence, give
hints, suggestions, stories or even flames?

Bill

marko@hutch (Mark O'Shea) (05/15/91)

In article<1991May14.062649.4932@doug.cae.wisc.edu>wbp@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu writes:
.     I've been reading this newsgroup with some interest since its
.inception.  I would like to ask all who would reply (either by e-mail
.or postings) to share with me experiences regarding getting started in
.hunting, safety in hunting and anything else you might want to relate.

Take a hunter safety course even if it is not required in your state.
Talk to people who hunt, about safety.  Read some books-the libraries
are full of them-on hunting techniques.  Jim Zumbo and Byron Dalrymple
are two authors who come to mind.

.For example, I am a devout handgunner and am therefore (naturally)
.interested in handgun hunting.  I haven't done any to date, mainly out
.of pure, unadultered fear.  I have spoken with many people who share my
.fear -- which is fear for my safety while in the woods.  The increasing
.reports of hunters that have been injured (shot) by other hunters is
.appalling and rather discouraging, especially when one has been regaled
.with books and tales about hunting.  Are today's hunters really that
.irresponsible?

No!  One thing that happens when we gather around the fire or at the
range is to tell hair-raising stories.  Can you imagine how boring it
would be to tell about my elk hunt last fall.  For six days I got up
at 4:30am ate breakfast, drove down to the bottom of the canyon and
walked back up to camp.  I saw lots of other hunters, some cows and
calves, but no bulls.  No one shot at me and...well you get the idea.
On the other hand the story about the time my cousin got shot at by
a poacher, with all the proper embellishment, is a great campfire tale.
It happened 35 years ago and the guy was a lousy shot who got arrested.

.I am especially interested in Florida hunting, specifically whitetail,
.although the rather smallish deer here are a little disappointing when
.compared to my memories of Michigan whitetails.  I know next to nothing
.about this subject, let alone how to field dress anything that I may be
.fortunate enough to bag.  Anyone care to start up a correspondence, give
.hints, suggestions, stories or even flames?

Most books on the subject of hunting will tell you how to dress and preserve
game.  It isn't hard and on deer it isn't even messy.  BTW a tip-carry
premoistened towels (aka Baby Wipes, Wet Ones, etc) to cleanup after you
field dress game.

May The Wind Always Be In Your Face
Mark O'Shea
marko@ijf1.intel.com

patvh%vice.ico.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Pat Van Hoomissen) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.062649.4932@doug.cae.wisc.edu> wbp@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu writes:

>about this subject, let alone how to field dress anything that I may be
>fortunate enough to bag.  Anyone care to start up a correspondence, give
>hints, suggestions, stories or even flames?

I would like to follow up with an explanation of a previous posting and the
controversy is created. I posted the following and recieved the response
following it:

#
# My technique is to keep shooting until it the deer stops running...
#
# I shot at my first buck 5 times, and watched the little forkie trot away

-------

   above passage COULD EASILY be taken the wrong way.

   You mention shooting until the deer drops and then how you shot at your
   first buck 5 times.  It is easy to draw the conclusion that you are one
   of the people I go to great lengths to avoid when I'm out hunting.

-------

Well, I guess I should have used a :-) with that post. (And to think I gave
Tim grief over his grouse posting... never again). Anyway, I am an Oregon
Safe Hunter and have been since I was nine. I have never seen an accident
in 20 years of hunting... although I have missed a few shots...

Please keep this newsgroup going with an open forum!

averett@cs.unc.edu (Shava Averett) (05/16/91)

>In article<1991May14.062649.4932@doug.cae.wisc.edu>wbp@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu writes:
>     I've been reading this newsgroup with some interest since its
>inception.  I would like to ask all who would reply (either by e-mail
>or postings) to share with me experiences regarding getting started in
>hunting, safety in hunting and anything else you might want to relate.

I know this is probably not *quite* what you were looking for, but let
me recommend the books of Rourke (what was his first name?), especially
The_Old_Man_and_the_Boy (maybe The_Old_Man's_Boy_Grows_Older) and
anything by Havilah Babcock (who I understand is some obscure kin to me
but I don't get any of his royalties...;-).  These are collections, in
general, of stories of exactly the kinds of experiences you are looking
for us to share with you.  They are entertaining reading, and great to
take hunting for the days when the weather conspires against you, or
for when you just get bored waiting for a deer...

Both Rourke and Babcock are full of common sense, and a feeling of the
kind of love for the outdoors, and general respect for the avocation.
If I have any objection, it has got to be the mild-to-overt misogyny
that permeates many references to womenfolk.  Just a product of their
times, I guess -- I don't know if they much expected that in a later
age, someone not of the "old boys" would be reading their little in-
jokes.

Shava (yes, I'm female last time I checked) Nerad Averett
shava@rad.unc.edu

/* as of this legislature, unc can't afford to publish opinions.  Mine,
	however, are free... */

brian%nosun.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET (Brian Vandewettering) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May14.062649.4932@doug.cae.wisc.edu> wbp@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu writes:
 Stuff deleted...
>I haven't done any to date, mainly out
>of pure, unadultered fear.  I have spoken with many people who share my
>fear -- which is fear for my safety while in the woods.  The increasing
>reports of hunters that have been injured (shot) by other hunters is
>appalling and rather discouraging, especially when one has been regaled
>with books and tales about hunting.  Are today's hunters really that
>irresponsible?

Here are my own safety rules in addition to those taught by the NRA:

1. Stay home opening weekend if possible.

2. Wear lots of Orange/Red

3. If doing a drive, make it very clear where everyone will be and
   which shooting direction will be safe for each member of the party.

4. Only hunt with people who have demonstrated safe handling of firearms.
   at a range or plinking.

5. Most important.  Party AFTER the hunt.

--
Brian Vandewettering - NRA, NRA-ILA, OSSA  -- Opinions are MINE!!!
Motorola Inc., Computer Systems Division - Beaverton, Oregon

boardman%cancer.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (05/18/91)

In article <1991May16.074103.16702@doug.cae.wisc.edu>, averett@cs.unc.edu (Shava Averett) writes:

>>In article<1991May14.062649.4932@doug.cae.wisc.edu>wbp@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu writes:
>>     I've been reading this newsgroup with some interest since its
>>inception.  I would like to ask all who would reply (either by e-mail
>>or postings) to share with me experiences regarding getting started in
>>hunting, safety in hunting and anything else you might want to relate.
>
>I know this is probably not *quite* what you were looking for, but let
>me recommend the books of Rourke (what was his first name?), especially
                           ^^^^^^
>The_Old_Man_and_the_Boy (maybe The_Old_Man's_Boy_Grows_Older) and

  (more deleted)

>Shava (yes, I'm female last time I checked) Nerad Averett
>shava@rad.unc.edu

    correct spelling: Robert Ruark - I also highly recommend his writings!

|*Write Your Congressreps!**Join the NRA!**Send them money!**Buy more guns!!!*|
| Bob Boardman,Albuquerque,New Mexico - NRA LIFE, NMSSA, Zia Rifle&Pistol Club|
|        internet:boardman@unmb.unm.edu    bitnet:BOARDMAN@UNMB               |

webdw@mvutd.att.com (Bruce D Woods) (06/21/91)

In article <1991May16.074112.16736@doug.cae.wisc.edu> cvedc!pdx.csd.mot.com!brian%nosun.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET (Brian Vandewettering) writes:

>Here are my own safety rules in addition to those taught by the NRA:
>
>1. Stay home opening weekend if possible.
>2. Wear lots of Orange/Red
>3. If doing a drive, make it very clear where everyone will be and
>   which shooting direction will be safe for each member of the party.
>4. Only hunt with people who have demonstrated safe handling of firearms.
>   at a range or plinking.
>5. Most important.  Party AFTER the hunt.

6.  Never hunt with New York City natives.