[rec.hunting] gundog training

dschranz@violet.waterloo.edu (David W. Schranz) (06/20/91)

I have two one-year old labs that I have been gundog training
for approx. 8 months.  These are my first dogs I have
tried to train for hunting.  I am having problems
teaching them to "fetch up" ie. they drop the dumming
just before they get to me or they drop it to shake
as they get out of the water.  I have tried scolding
them just as they drop it but I doesn't seem to be
sinking in.  Are there any tricks of the trade I
should know about?
thanks in advance.
David W. Schranz (dschranz@violet.waterloo.edu)
University of Waterloo

thr1@ra.MsState.Edu (Tom Ritter) (06/21/91)

In a previous article someone talked about having trouble
with their lab dropping dummies.  I had much the same
kind of trouble when I taught my lab to retreive...

Solution:
My suggestion is to start off with short retrieves and
stand RIGHT ON the bank.   That way the pup gets back
to you before having a chance to stop, shake, drop the
dummy etc...

That stopping at the edge is a bad habit.  It gives the
pup time to screw up... I work close to the edge and
gradually move back a few feet...

AND DON'T LET HIM SHAKE!  It took me quite awhile to
correct that mistake of mine...  It makes teaching
to shake on command alot easier as well...

Tom Ritter
thr1@ra.msstate.edu
PS
	Now that she's trained I just need to hunt her
more often... :-(

eburns@ADS.COM (Edward Burns) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.043646.27739@doug.cae.wisc.edu> dschranz@violet.waterloo.edu (David W. Schranz) writes:
>I am having problems
>teaching them to "fetch up" ie. they drop the dumming
>just before they get to me or they drop it to shake
>as they get out of the water.

My wife and I had this problem with our Chesapeake for a while too.
I'm sure there are many opinions on how to cure it, but here's what
worked for us.

On land, just place the dummy in the dog's mouth and hold it there
for a few seconds while repeating the command "HOLD".  We didn't
make it stern, just a slow, clear command.  They might struggle, so
you'll probably have to hold the dummy there at first.  After just
a few seconds, command "RELEASE", and take the dummy.  Let them know
they just did a good thing with lots of encouragement or a treat, if
that's what you use.  When they start to catch on, lengthen the time
they are to hold it for you.

In water, position yourself right in front of the dog when its coming
out and start repeating "HOLD".  As soon as it comes on land, and
before it has a chance to drop the dummy, reach down and hold it in
until the dog is sitting.  Command "RELEASE" and take the dummy away.
Again, lengthen the time between sitting and taking the dummy as soon
as they start to do it right.  They'll soon learn that shaking isn't
the first thing they should do when they come out of the water.

Have you tried real birds yet?  They might no be so quick to drop
a pigeon or duck if you can get them.  In fact, with real birds,
our dog understands "HOLD" *real* well.  It's the "RELEASE" we have
trouble with :-).

Good luck.

Ed

jholand%peruvian@hellgate.utah.edu (John Holand) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun20.043646.27739@doug.cae.wisc.edu> dschranz@violet.waterloo.edu (David W. Schranz) writes:
>I have two one-year old labs that I have been gundog training
>for approx. 8 months.  These are my first dogs I have
>tried to train for hunting.  I am having problems
>teaching them to "fetch up" ie. they drop the dumming
>just before they get to me or they drop it to shake
>as they get out of the water.  I have tried scolding
>them just as they drop it but I doesn't seem to be
>sinking in.  Are there any tricks of the trade I
>should know about?
>thanks in advance.
>David W. Schranz (dschranz@violet.waterloo.edu)
>University of Waterloo

    I had this problem for a few weeks but I was able to
 stop it, here is what I did.

   As soon as the dog drops the dummy take him back to where
he dropped it, open the dog's mouth and put the dummy back in,
then gently squeeze the dog mouth as to show the dog to hold
the dummy. Then yell "HOLD", (but not in an angry voice just
insistant)
	When the dog drops it don't make him pick it up, else
they can get it the habit of dropping it and then picking it up
on command. Pick it up yourself and place it in the pups mouth.
The idea is that you are only correcting the pup, and this is how
they learn they made a mistake.
	By now your pup should know and obey "stay", so use it.
Have him stay where he is at. Take a few steps back and have him
come, as he approches you and nears the spot where he would drop
the dummy, (or you see him start to drop the dummy) yell "HOLD"
again. In a few days the pup will definetely understand "HOLD".
	Once the pup has learned "HOLD" start using it earlier.
ie: if the pup would drop the dummy 5 feet from you, yell "HOLD"
when the pup is 7 feet from you, then 10 feet, then 15, then 20
pretty soon you will not have to remind the pup at all.
     With 2 45 minute sessions daily you should be done in one week,
two weeks tops.
     It is also advantageous to teach a whistle command to go along
with "HOLD" , this enables you to correct the dog while coming out
of the water and drops the dummy before shaking off, or in any case where
distance is a problem.
Later, John R. Holand