[rec.hunting] best rifle caliber

joseph@uunet.uu.net (06/21/91)

Will...the net is kinda slow, so I'll ask the question of all questions:

   What is the best all-around hunting caliber for North Americam game?

I'm stewing with the idea of dumping the bucks into a KDF or McMillan
and figure I won't ever have any money for the rest of my natural life
after that, so I need to make one caliber do it all. (except brown bears)

Which of the following would you choose and why?

	.25-06
	.270
	.280
	.30-06
	.7mm Rem Mag
	.300 Win Mag
	.300 Wby
	.300 H&H
	.338 Win Mag
	.340 Wby
	.375 H&H
	.416 Rem

Any inputs anyone has on any of the .300's would be appreciated.

-Joseph Crunk

roa@davinci.acc.virginia.edu ("Robert O. Anderson Jr") (06/22/91)

>Which of the following would you choose and why?
>
>        .25-06
>        .270
>        .280
>        .30-06
>        .7mm Rem Mag
>        .300 Win Mag
>        .300 Wby
>        .300 H&H
>        .338 Win Mag
>        .340 Wby
>        .375 H&H
>        .416 Rem
>
>Any inputs anyone has on any of the .300's would be appreciated.
>Joseph Crunk

Joe,

I used to own a 300 Win Mag. The reason I bought it was because it
was "not recommended on elephant, cape buffalo, or rhino" and I
couldn't afford a 300 Wby. I had a Rem 700 BDL and enjoyed the death
and destruction it caused.....well, okay, I didn't enjoy the recoil.
I always put a couple small pieces of newspaper under my elbow when
bench rest shooting..... the paper would slide.. and it left the
skin on my elbow. My most accurate load (and don't try this at home
unless you "know" how to work up a load) was something around 75 gr.
of 4350 w/ a 110 HP. It was a fireball.....but I shot a 4 shot group
at 100 yds. that was completely covered by a dime. I just loved the
way crows would explode.

Bobby

keith@clodII.ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM (keith) (06/22/91)

Joseph Crunk writes

> From: smosjc!joseph@uunet.uu.net
>
> Well...the net is kinda slow, so I'll ask the question of all questions:
>
>    What is the best all-around hunting caliber for North Americam game?
>
> I'm stewing with the idea of dumping the bucks into a KDF or McMillan
> and figure I won't ever have any money for the rest of my natural life
> after that, so I need to make one caliber do it all. (except brown bears)
>
> Which of the following would you choose and why?
>
> 	.25-06
> 	.270
> 	.280
> 	.30-06
> 	.7mm Rem Mag
> 	.300 Win Mag
> 	.300 Wby
> 	.300 H&H
> 	.338 Win Mag
> 	.340 Wby
> 	.375 H&H
> 	.416 Rem
>
> Any inputs anyone has on any of the .300's would be appreciated.
>
> -Joseph Crunk

  Well Joseph, you really opened a can of worms on this one. ;-)
Everyone has their favorite caliber like myself and each will gladly
argue the merits of his/her choice. I personally love the .270 cal
myself and have hunted with it for 12 years now and have taken 42 deer
with it and only lost 2 or 3 that I know for certain that I hit. (bad
shot placement) This caliber is great for whitetail and mulies but
anything larger and I suspect it might be a just a little bit
inadequate for a one-shot stop. A .270 should easily dispatch anything
up to 250 lbs or so but for larger game I just cannot say since I have
never taken anything that big. :-(( A .300 Win Mag is too much gun
IMHO for smallish deer along with the other calibers listed below it.
You just simply damage alot of meat on smaller deer. I know of one guy
who shot a med. size buck (.300 M) and nearly half of the meat was
bloodshot. A guy in my hunt club uses 7mm Magnum and it doesn't seem
to be *overkill* for smaller game while at the same time I believe it
would have sufficient stopping power for the largest of North American
big game excluding bears as you asked. So my choice for an all around
caliber would be a 7mm Magnum. This is my opinion so don't take it as
the unabridged truth!
                                               Regards,
                                                Keith Boyd

---
| Keith M. Boyd  (NCR E&M Cola.) |  Nothing could be fina' than huntin' and  |
| 3325 Platt Springs Rd. ________|  fishin' in South Carolina!  -Me-         |
| West Cola., S.C. 29170 | Std Disclaimers | keith@clodII.columbiasc.NCR.COM |
| ph: 803-791-6419   |  From uunet: !uunet!ncrcom!ncrcae!sauron!clodII!keith |

cbl@uihepa.hep.uiuc.edu (Chris Luchini) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun21.063938.11989@doug.cae.wisc.edu>, smosjc!joseph@uunet.uu.net writes:
>Will...the net is kinda slow, so I'll ask the question of all questions:
>
>   What is the best all-around hunting caliber for North Americam game?
>
>I'm stewing with the idea of dumping the bucks into a KDF or McMillan
>and figure I won't ever have any money for the rest of my natural life
>after that, so I need to make one caliber do it all. (except brown bears)
>
>Which of the following would you choose and why?

First I'll dump the ones that I'd definitly not choose, ever.
>	.25-06		Not enough ballistics for elk, realy only good for
			pronghorn or antilope (sp?)

>	.270		Very poor factory ballistics

>	.300 H&H	Very out dated case with extreem body taper
			a chrome plated bitch to reload accuratly
			almost no factory ammo available.

Next, my comment is that recoil, and thus weight of the gun will be the
deciding factor: if you are a recoil wimp, _and_ must have a very light
gun, go with

>	.280		relativly good factory ballistics, light recoil,
			good bullet selection for all but the heavist game.
>	.30-06		it has all been said for this round.

For the following rounds, even with a muzzle break, ultralight guns
will still a bit of a kick. Never the less most people will be able
to handle the recoil quite well, even if you did sink you $'s into
a UltraLight Arms $2k, 6# jewel.

Also keep in mind that there really is no point in going to either of
these round if the barrel is short.

>	.7mm Rem Mag
>	.300 Win Mag

Since the 300 Wby operates at 65kpsi rather than 45kpsi, it will have
better ballistics even in a short barrel. Muzzle blast can be horrable
especially with a muzzle break. I would wear hearing protection even when
hunting with any of the rest of these guns.

>	.300 Wby

With the next set of rounds, bullet selection is going to be the major
problem: hunting white tail with a factory 375 round is not going to
work, the bullets are designed for a different task. However, by handloading
and spending the $'s on custom bullets, even these thumpers can work for
the lighter game. They are ideal and then some for elk, bear, etc.
In fact, I'd pick a rifle in 338 and the 'if i had only one gun for hunting'
because it has a good selection of commercial bullets available, and
has all the ballistics you will ever need for any game up to moose.
>	.338 Win Mag
>	.340 Wby	Hard to find ammo
>	.375 H&H	some of the 375 wild cats are very impresive, 375JRS
			is now a factory round (from A-square) it would
			be my 3'rd pick after the '06 (or 308)
>	.416 Rem	brutally expensive, to buy the gun, the brass, the
			bullets. but you'd have a fun toy!

>Any inputs anyone has on any of the .300's would be appreciated.
>
>-Joseph Crunk

	Now the bad part: all of my opinions are based on extensive reading
	and range shooting of some of the calibers you've listed. The one
	point that is not opinion (!?!) is that you must be able to take
	the recoil, a gun that scares you to shoot is not a gun you want
	to hunt with.

-cbl
| Chris Luchini/1110 W. Green/Urbana IL 61801/217-333-0505                |
| cbl@uihepa.hep.uiuc.edu  (best) |Cluch@fnald.bitnet (second chance)     |
Office address: 428  Loomis Lab, drop your checks there.

johnclif@cs.washington.edu (06/22/91)

You could do much worse than to select the .30-'06 as the single best
all-around hunting cartridge for North America, including for the big
bears.  Yes, I know that many people recommend .338s and up for the big
bears, but good bullets and good shooting have enabled the '06 to
take many a bruin since it's creation.

My '06 has been used to shoot everything from crows to deer.  I have no
doubt that it would do fine on elk and bear (my father originally bought
it, a pre-'64 M70, in the early '50s while he was stationed at Kodiak
NAS specifically for bear hunting, but he never got the chance -- since
he much preferred bird hunting, I usurped it in my teens, packed in
grease and with maybe 50 rounds through it -- funny, I've always liked
rifles better than shotguns, and for him it was vice versa).  Many of
the great outdoor writers have used the '06 for game such as lion, tiger,
and even elephant!  I would agree that it's a little small for jumbo,
but I'd be willing to pop one of the big cats with it given some Noslers.

I almost think the '06 may be a little too much for deer, especially at
close range.  I killed my first buck with it at ~40 yards.  The single
shot through the lungs with a Remington factory-loaded 150 gr PSP
liquified everything above the diaphram.  But you can get factory loads
with everything from 55 grain Accelerators to 220 grain soft points,
and nearly anything else in between.  Several of the ammo makers also
offer excellent factory loads with Nosler, Speer, and Sierra bullets.
No wonder the '06 has it's well-deserved reputation for versatility.

As an aside, a few years ago I had a 8" long section of railroad rail
that I tested various calibers on, just for fun.  First, I shot it at
50 yards with a .22 LR and a .45 ACP 230 gr FMJ.  The .22 merely left a
splash mark w/o scratching the hardened steel.  The .45 made a tiny ding.

Then I put the rail at 100 yards and shot it with my '06.  First, with a
Remington Accelerator (55 gr. .223 PSP encased in a .308 plastic sabot,
loaded into an '06 case -- mv 4080 f/sec).  The rail had a 1/2" deep by
1" diameter crater blown in it, and lead plated.  Next, I shot it with a
150 gr Remington PSP Core-Lokt, resulting in a slightly bigger and deeper
lead-plated crater.  Interesting factoid:  the heavier bullet didn't make
a proportionately bigger crater, but it did seem to impart a much larger
'shove' to the target.  Energy vs. momentum?  At any rate, I wouldn't want
to be shot by either one!

My current game load is the Federal Premium load with the Sierra 165 gr
PSP boattail.  I can't say that it will work on game better than the
Remington 150 grain factory load, but in my rifle, accurized years ago
by KDF, the Federal Premium load consistently shoots less than m.o.a. and
that's good enough for me.

By the way, you might also want to take advantage of the accurizing services
offered by KDF and Shilen Barrels.  Mine cost $100 in the early '80s (I
understand KDF charges $200 now), and for that price they bed the action,
place a single pressure point in the forend, and recrown the muzzle.  The
gun's appearance doesn't change, but it sure shoots like something else!
Depending on how my new .338 Super Grade shoots, it might also end up
taking a trip to Texas.  Why do I have a .338?  It will be my heavy rifle,
with the '06 being my medium rifle, and my Ruger M77 Mark II stainless
.243 as my light deer and antelope rifle.  I like my other rifles too much
to subject them to the constant drizzle of the Pacific Northwest!

Actually, if I were you, I'd buy one of the new M70 Super Grades in
.30-'06, get a Leupold 3.5x-10x scope, and also have iron sights installed
and a KDF or Shilen accuracy job done on it.  You'd still have spent less
than either the KDF or the McMillan, and you'd have a rifle that would be
every bit their equal, if not better.  (No, I don't have stock in
USRAC, but I really like the new Super Grades!)

Just one man's opinion, worth what it costs....

John Clifford
Developer, Applications
Microsoft Corporation

Disclaimer:  I speak for me, Bill speaks for Microsoft.

petert@uunet.UU.NET (Peter Toth) (06/24/91)

<1991Jun21.063938.11989@doug.cae.wisc.edu> smosjc!joseph@uunet.uu.net writes:
>Will...the net is kinda slow, so I'll ask the question of all questions:
>
>   What is the best all-around hunting caliber for North American game?

Of course there is no substitute for proper placement from effective
(for both the gun and the shooter) range, but the selection of the
tool is limited only by the abilities of the hunter.  If you can and
will stalk within 75-50 yards, you can use a shotgun, a black powder
rifle, or crossbow, and under 50, a bow.  Hell, if you are willing and
able to move right in, you can use an axe, a club or a knife.  Out of
range, it's the one that got away.

>[..]Which of the following would you choose and why?
>
>	.25-06
>	.270
>	.280
>	.30-06
>	.7mm Rem Mag
>	.300 Win Mag
>	.300 Wby
>	.300 H&H
>	.338 Win Mag
>	.340 Wby
>	.375 H&H
>	.416 Rem

Since the can of worms is already open, may i point out that my pet
caliber, the 6.5x55 Swedish is conspicuous by its absence.

Having said that, the answer depends on
a) how often do you get a chance at a shot,
b) what's the biggest game you want to hunt, what's the longest shot
   you'll have
c) how much punishment are you willing to put up with,
d) how long do you want your barrel to last (how much will you shoot it),
e) everything else...

a) If you have all the time and shooting opportunity in the world ;^),
and have no wish to hunt big bears, pretty much all of them will do
fine, with the 270 being the most limited for big game use, followed
by the .25-06 and the 6.5x55 in that order.

I personally know someone who anchored an elk with a .25-06 from a
very long range (i won't vouch for the claimed 500 yds, since i wasn't
there with my rangefinder, but he does have an 8x56 and a bipod on it,
and >>usually<< doesn't lie).  I also know someone who dropped a moose
with a 6.5x55 from 300 yards.  (Broke the neck straight on).  BTW the
6.5x55 is a widely used moose round in Skandinavia.

I'll assume you don't have all the time and opportunity in the world.

b) My friend's experiences notwithstanding, i would not use a .25-06
on elk, and he would pass up more shots with it than with something
more potent.

I would suggest you consider the .280 as minimum.

c) My attitude towards punishment is: the less the better, hence my
fondness for the 6.5x55.  There are some mighty cartridges on that
list, but frankly, i couldn't think of anything i'd want to shoot at
in North America i couldn't put down with authority with the .280 -
.30 calibers listed.

d) The .280 and .30-06 barrels will probably last you a lifetime.  The
magnums will eat them faster, but if you only shoot the gun when
sighting in or hunting, and don't see yourself putting thousands of
rounds through it, this is a non-issue.

All in all, if you shoot a lot, take the .30-06.  It offers long
barrel life, a wide variety of projectiles, and a good selection of
fine factory loads.

If you do not expect to put much more than a 1000 rounds through the
gun, the 7mm Rem Mag is my recommendation.  With the 175 grain
projectile it has the best ballistics available on the above list,
even better than the 6.5x55 with the finest 140 grainers, but only
slightly ;^).

Peter Toth

alan@gatech.edu (Alan Barrow) (06/24/91)

I like .280 Remington. All the capabilities of the .270 with
the added advantage of 7mm bullet selection & downrange ballistics.

Plus it is little recognized, and you can sometimes find "deals"
on one. (Like my M70 Featherweight in .280)

I was originally going to use the action from the Featherweight
to build a manlicher .280. The factory stock was nice enough, that
I decided to lv it as is.

However, my main rifle is a .308 Ruger 77RSI manlicher carbine.
One day I will have a reason to use the .280, but here in Ga., the
.308 works great. (165GR Grand Slam's. The downrange ballistics
with the heavier bullet made me switch from 130-140Gr.)

I guess silhoutte shooting made me start paying more attention to
100-200yd ballistics & trajectory.

On whitetail, the Speer grand slam's have worked great, though I
think they may be a bit solid.

Well, you asked!!! :-)

See ya!

Alan Barrow

cpdlm@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Dominique Morel) (06/25/91)

>   What is the best all-around hunting caliber for North Americam game?

>I'm stewing with the idea of dumping the bucks into a KDF or McMillan
>and figure I won't ever have any money for the rest of my natural life
>after that, so I need to make one caliber do it all. (except brown bears)

>Which of the following would you choose and why?

>   [ long list of most long-range calibers deleted]

>Any inputs anyone has on any of the .300's would be appreciated.
>-Joseph Crunk

Well I have never shot or been In North America. I have only been in Europe,
Africa, and Australia, but I have only hunted in Australia. I have
friends who have hunted the world and from personal experience and what I
have been told by other hunters I would have to say that if I had to
have only one rifle I would keep my BRNO ZKK 602 in .375 H & H mag.

I have used a wide variety of rifles from the humble .22RF through to
the 460 Wby Mag.

I own

	.22 RF
	.222 Rem Mag
	.22/250 Rem
	.257 Roberts (In the process of being built)
	.308 Norma Mag M17 action 22" barrel (TOO SHORT USELESS) getting a
			.458 barrel for it
	.308 Norma Mag FN Mauser action 26" barrel (JUST WONDERFUL )
	.375 H & H
and have shot

	.22 mag (Used to own a rifle to shoot this)
	.22 Hornet
	.218 Bee Improved
	.223
	.222
	.220 Swift
	.243
	.17
	.303/25 (Used to own a rifle to shoot this)
	6.5 X 52 (Used to own a rifle to shoot this)
	6.5 X 55
	.264 Win Mag
	.250/3000
	.25/06
	.270
	7 X 57
	.308 Win
	.30/06
	.303 British
	8 X 56
	8 X 57
	.44/40
	.444 Marlin
	.45/70 (Used to own a rifle to shoot this)
	.458 Win
	.460 Wby

Of all the above rifles that I have shot only the 460 was unpleasant to
shoot. I have found all the others to have manageable recoil. I have
shot much game with the .375 and have never found it wanting. I use the
beautiful 300 Sierra Spitzer Boat Tail bullets for all excecpt the
Buffalo and wild cattle, where I use the 300 grain Hornandy Solids. I
have found that the bullet is slow enough to kill without much bruising
and yet fast, accurate and heavy enough to kill realiably. I have shot
ducks and rabbits with it as well as many pigs and other game. It kills
well and fast. It also has the penetration to make a heart shot on a 300lbs
boar by aiming between the hams on a fleeing target. I have played with
lighter bullets, but find that they are no a good as the heavy ones.

The Poms got it right in 1912 with the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum.
(Did you know that Holland & Holland of 98 New Bond street London were
responsible for the belt and the term Magnum)

A good load for the 300gn bullet is either 79.5 gns of IMR 4350 (MAX 82gns)
or 82 gns of IMR 4831

I have recently cronographed the 82 gns of 4831 with 300 Hornandy solid
and got 2660 feet per second out of my 25" barrel.

	Dominique  Morel

hale@UCSD.EDU (Bob Hale) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun21.063938.11989@doug.cae.wisc.edu> smosjc!joseph@uunet.uu.net writes:
>Will...the net is kinda slow, so I'll ask the question of all questions:
>
>   What is the best all-around hunting caliber for North Americam game?

This question will certainly get a lot of varying answers because there
are so many parameters to consider - cost of ammo, amount of recoil,
length of barrel, type of country in which hunting is performed, type
of game, etc.

I'll speak to the two calibers that I know, the .30-06 and .375 H&H.

The .375 H&H is too much for anything except for very large North
American game such as bears.  It is a good African caliber according
to the articles that I've read, but a deer shot with one of these
might have very little usable meat left on it.

The .30-06 is a good all-around caliber for North American game.  It's
fairly flat shooting, has good range, is affordable, and won't completely
trash a whitetail deer.  And the recoil is mild enough that you don't
need a padded jacket.

That's my $.02 worth.

Bob Hale                        ...!ucsd!btree!hale
619-535-3234                    ...!btree!hale@ucsd.edu

boardman%cancer.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.072114.5464@doug.cae.wisc.edu>, btree!hale@UCSD.EDU (Bob Hale) writes:
>In article <1991Jun21.063938.11989@doug.cae.wisc.edu> smosjc!joseph@uunet.uu.net writes:
>>Will...the net is kinda slow, so I'll ask the question of all questions:
>>
>>   What is the best all-around hunting caliber for North Americam game?
>>

>I'll speak to the two calibers that I know, the .30-06 and .375 H&H.
>
>The .375 H&H is too much for anything except for very large North
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>American game such as bears.  It is a good African caliber according
>to the articles that I've read, but a deer shot with one of these
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>might have very little usable meat left on it.
>
>The .30-06 is a good all-around caliber for North American game.  It's
>fairly flat shooting, has good range, is affordable, and won't completely
>trash a whitetail deer.  And the recoil is mild enough that you don't
>need a padded jacket.
>
>That's my $.02 worth.
>
>Bob Hale                        ...!ucsd!btree!hale
>619-535-3234                    ...!btree!hale@ucsd.edu

    I have both a 7mm Remington Magnum and a .375 H&H Magnum, and I think
  that you are more likely to have excessive meat destruction with the
  very high velocity bullets from the 7mm Magnum that with the larger and
  slower .375 H&H.  Of course, bullet placement is the most important
  factor, but with equal placement, I suspect you would lose more meat on a
  whitetail deer shot with a 150gr. bullet @ 3100 fps than with a 250-270gr
  moving 400 fps slower, and I know that some people love the .375 downloaded
  to 2300-2400 fps for deer - great penetration with very little meat damage.
   Also, it has been my experience that shooting 175gr. max power loads out of
  the 7mm Magnum hurts more than 270gr. loads out of the .375 H&H. So if you
  can load your own, I think the .375 H&H might qualify as a "do everything"
  caliber.  On the other hand, there is a vastly greater selection of ammo
  commercially available for the 7mm Magnum, so if you aren't thinking of
  handloading, I would propose the 7mm Magnum as the best "do everything"
  rifle, although it is really a toss-up between the 30-06, the .300 Win Mag,
  and the 7mm Mag, IMHO.  My 2.5 cents worth!

|**I _AM_ a member of a well-regulated militia - self-regulated, that is!!!!**|
| Bob Boardman,Albuquerque,New Mexico - NRA LIFE, NMSSA, Zia Rifle&Pistol Club|
|        internet:boardman@unmb.unm.edu    bitnet:BOARDMAN@UNMB               |

sxrmh1@acad3.alaska.edu (06/26/91)

As for my two cents worth of input...

First let me say that I regularly shoot at paper targets to absolutely
positively know where each and every shot will go.  To do this, I find
I must handload - there's other benefits to this other than cost, like
accuracy and loads that are unavailable from any factory.  I am a FAN
of Weatherby rifles, preferably the German made, but the Japanese made
do work well also.

My pet rifle is the .270 Wthby mag - probably because I've shot
thousands of rounds through it, worked up loads that work for me, and
have used it exclusively for deer hunting "outside", and on Montague
Island, AK.  (Outside, to Alaskans refers to the rest of the United
States).

(My father used a .300 Wthby mag exclusively for his Alaskan hunting,
that is until that was no longer a challenge, then he used a scoped
S/W model 29, 6 1/2" bbl, .44 mag pistol - and he killed moose and
caribou regularily with that - single shot kills.)

My next is probably my .340 Wthby mag - probably because I go hunting
a lot in brown and grizzly bear country - not that the .270 wouldn't
work for moose or caribou or sheep, etc..., but a riled bear that
wants to kill me should have as little chance as I can give it.  That,
in itself is a VERY LOW probability, but I like to play safe.  Here
again, I've worked up a fine load for me, and shot hundreds of rounds
through this gun.

I do keep a .458 win mag in camp as an emergency bear gun - sighting
it in regularily is an experience, but not too unpleasant, considering
the consequences of not knowing where the bullets are going.  Here
again, I've worked up a load for enormous stopping power, that works
for me.

If one is to be going to remote places where ammunition might have to
be purchased, a gun like the .30-06 is the single most popular caliber
cartridge in the U.S. - (arguably, so no flames) and ammunition for it
can be found in any town one goes through.  It has trade offs that I
am not willing to accept, though.

Bottom line - Any rifle YOU are comfortable AND accurate with, of at
least 270 winchester mag. cal., that fits your budget.  Remember shot
placement can never be stressed too greatly.

Randy
sxrmh1@acad3.alaska.edu