[rec.hunting] best all-round Caliber

cpdlm@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Dominique Morel) (06/28/91)

> Dominique Morel writes in response to post by Joseph Crunk:

>> >Any inputs anyone has on any of the .300's would be appreciated.
>> >-Joseph Crunk
>>
>> Well I have never shot or been In North America. I have only been in Europe,
>> Africa, and Australia, but I have only hunted in Australia. I have
>> have only one rifle I would keep my BRNO ZKK 602 in .375 H & H mag.
>>
>> shot much game with the .375 and have never found it wanting. I use the
>> beautiful 300 Sierra Spitzer Boat Tail bullets for all excecpt the
>> Buffalo and wild cattle, where I use the 300 grain Hornandy Solids. I
>> have found that the bullet is slow enough to kill without much bruising
>> and yet fast, accurate and heavy enough to kill realiably. I have shot
>> ducks and rabbits with it as well as many pigs and other game. It kills
>> ^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^
>> 	Dominique  Morel
>>

>Note: I realize this is probably out of the realm of rec.hunting guide
      >lines but I hope our kind moderator will permit this one post
      >which I just had to get off my chest.
>
>[Moderator's Note:  Hunting ethics are a valid topic.]
>

>Dear Dominique,
>Joseph Crunk was asking for advice on rifle calibers to hunt BIG GAME
>in North America. I believe that ducks and rabbits are considered to be
>SMALL GAME here. Anyone who would consider using a .375 H&H Magnum to
>hunt small game is being highly unethical in my honest opinion. There
>is something called a shotgun to hunt SMALL GAME with you know. What's
>more, I believe it is illegal to hunt ducks here with a rifle anyway.
>If you ever do come to the United States please don't come to here to
>South Carolina because we don't need this kind of hunter. So there.
>                                                  Regards,
>                                                  Keith Boyd.

>P.S.  I may be wrong for publicly blasting Dominique and if so I apologize,
>      but I felt that hunter ethics have to be upheld and someone needed
>      to point this out.

I was only trying to point out that it is capable to kill small game
with big game guns where I believe that it would be unethical to hunt
large game with a .22 for instance. As far as shooting ducks with a
rifle, it is much harder to shoot a duck sitting on water with a rifle
than in the air with a shotgun. One can not spend a couple of days on
foot with more than one firearm. I take no food and duck is eatable food
so they sometimes get shot with a portable cannon. Rabbits are feral
vermine that should be destroyed at all opertunities and wether they
are shot and blown to bits with a 22/250 or are drilled by a .375 or a
..22 long rifle, or filled with shot by a shot gun it makes no difference
to the ecology it is all good. You can not kill an elephant humanely
with a small caliber, but you can kill a rabbit humanely with an
elephant gun. The hunters prime responsability to game is to kill it
without it suffering. If I go duck hunting I take a shotgun. If I go
buffalo hunting I take the .375 H & H, but I will not shoot a low grade
non bull trophy just to shoot and eat half a pound of meat of it when a duck
will do a lot better. (YES BUFFALO ARE FERAL VERMINE TOO BUT THEY ARE TOO
MAGESTIC TO BE TREATED THAT WAY TO ME) (( You bloody Yanks are
responsible for their extermination program because you will not import
meat from countries with brussulosis or TB after 1992 so they are being
shot out from helicopters with semiauto rifles)) great hunting ethics!!!
imposed by your government on our game.

A 300grn solid does no damage to the meat of a duck and it is not wasted.
One has just to be careful where the bullet will go after killing the
duck. A duck is dead wether shot by four shot or a .50 BMG. It makes no
difference to the duck. The important is wether it is eaten or not.

When I go after rabbits as a friends wife likes to eat them I take a .22
long rifle. (I will not eat a rodent) When I go deer hunting I take a
..308 Norma Mag and if I ever get to go after sambar (a large deer that
live in heavily wooded mountanous terrain I will take the .375 H & H as
its bullets will be less likely to be deflected by twigs than any other
firearm I own. That is one of the reasons I use the .375 on pigs because
they are often in the rubbervine scrub (AN other pest introduced here by
the Yanks in WWII. It did not produce the rubber that it was supposed
to, and has now gone ranpant) and fast light bullets can cause wounds
after hitting twigs and result in slow agonising deaths. (no I can't
blame you the Yanks for the feral pig problem we have over here)