[rec.hunting] Best All-Around Caliber

keith@clodII.ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM (Keith Boyd) (06/26/91)

 Dominique Morel writes in response to post by Joseph Crunk:

> From: cpdlm@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Dominique Morel)
> Subject: Re: Best rifle caliber
>

> >Any inputs anyone has on any of the .300's would be appreciated.
> >-Joseph Crunk
>
> Well I have never shot or been In North America. I have only been in Europe,
> Africa, and Australia, but I have only hunted in Australia. I have
> have only one rifle I would keep my BRNO ZKK 602 in .375 H & H mag.
>
> shot much game with the .375 and have never found it wanting. I use the
> beautiful 300 Sierra Spitzer Boat Tail bullets for all excecpt the
> Buffalo and wild cattle, where I use the 300 grain Hornandy Solids. I
> have found that the bullet is slow enough to kill without much bruising
> and yet fast, accurate and heavy enough to kill realiably. I have shot
> ducks and rabbits with it as well as many pigs and other game. It kills
> ^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^
> 	Dominique  Morel

Note: I realize this is probably out of the realm of rec.hunting guide
      lines but I hope our kind moderator will permit this one post
      which I just had to get off my chest.

[Moderator's Note:  Hunting ethics are a valid topic.]

Dear Dominique,
 Joseph Crunk was asking for advice on rifle calibers to hunt BIG GAME
in North America. I believe that ducks and rabbits are considered to be
SMALL GAME here. Anyone who would consider using a .375 H&H Magnum to
hunt small game is being highly unethical in my honest opinion. There
is something called a shotgun to hunt SMALL GAME with you know. What's
more, I believe it is illegal to hunt ducks here with a rifle anyway.
If you ever do come to the United States please don't come to here to
South Carolina because we don't need this kind of hunter. So there.
                                                  Regards,
                                                   Keith Boyd.

P.S.  I may be wrong for publicly blasting Dominique and if so I apologize,
      but I felt that hunter ethics have to be upheld and someone needed
      to point this out.

---
| Keith M. Boyd  (NCR E&M Cola.) |  Nothing could be fina' than huntin' and  |
| 3325 Platt Springs Rd. ________|  fishin' in South Carolina!  -Me-         |
| West Cola., S.C. 29170 | Std Disclaimers | keith@clodII.columbiasc.NCR.COM |
| ph: 803-791-6419   |  From uunet: !uunet!ncrcom!ncrcae!sauron!clodII!keith |

brian@uunet.uu.net (Brian Vandewettering) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun26.063956.11463@doug.cae.wisc.edu> keith@clodII.ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM (Keith Boyd) writes:

>Dear Dominique,
> Joseph Crunk was asking for advice on rifle calibers to hunt BIG GAME
>in North America. I believe that ducks and rabbits are considered to be
>SMALL GAME here. Anyone who would consider using a .375 H&H Magnum to
>hunt small game is being highly unethical in my honest opinion. There
>is something called a shotgun to hunt SMALL GAME with you know. What's
>more, I believe it is illegal to hunt ducks here with a rifle anyway.

I own a .375 H&H which I have used to take grouse.  The bullets don't
expand on small game which means if you make a decent shot you won't
ruin the meat.  A .22 caliber hole v.s. a .375 hole makes very little
difference, Keith.  If you hit the breast with either weapon, the
animal is a loss.  BTW shotguns will almost always destroy a grouse at
shorter ranges encountered in our Pacific rain forest.

In my mind hunting ethics have much more to do with respect for the
animal.  I have hunted Elk for 5 years without getting a shot at a
bull.  If I do get a shot, the .375 H&H has plenty of power for a
clean, one shot kill.  Being under gunned IS unethical; however, you
are only over gunned if the weapon destroys the animal (Exceptions
noted for crows, starlings, sand rats, etc...:-) :-).  Seriously,
hunting small game with your big game rifle is good practice.  those
who only fire their guns at paper before hunting a deer or Elk in my
mind are unethical.

>If you ever do come to the United States please don't come to here to
>South Carolina because we don't need this kind of hunter. So there.

Fine, come to Oregon instead.

--
Brian Vandewettering - NRA, NRA-ILA, OSSA  -- Opinions are MINE!!!
Motorola Inc., Computer Systems Division - Beaverton, Oregon