[misc.news.southasia] India's PM Resigned ....

gaddam@remus.rutgers.edu (Surekha Reddy Gaddam) (03/06/91)

	Newsgroups: misc.news.southasia
	From: raman@bafur.cs.cornell.edu (T. V. Raman)
	Subject: Indian's PM (Chandrashekar) resigns

Date: 6 Mar 91 13:11:48 GMT

The Indian Prime Minister Chandrashekar resigned today after four
months in office.  He claimed that his government had been manipulated
by the Cong(I) on whose support he relied for his survival.

Following the resignation President Venkataraman said he would decide
within the next twenty four hours whether to ask someone else to form
the next government or call for fresh general elections

The resignation comes after parliament had come to a near standstill
with all Cong(I) members boycotting proceedings following allegations
of police surveillance of Rajiv Gandhi's residence.

--Raman