[misc.news.southasia] India: updates since Monday evening

gaddam@remus.rutgers.edu (Surekha Reddy Gaddam) (06/18/91)

Patna
=====

      of the last seven seats decided,aurangabad, vaishali and
koderma have gone to the Janata Dal and nawada to the CPI-M .
The BJP picked up lohardagga and palamu.

      In jehanabad,the CPI candidate was ahead of his Cong-i
rival by 59,631 votes at the close of counting but the result
was withheld,even after it was announced,following objections
raised by the Congress-i.

      Four Congress-I veterans-- former Chief Minister Mr S N
Sinha,former Union Minister Mrs Usha Singh and Mrs Sumati
Oraon were defeated at aurangabad,vaishali and lohardaga
respectively while a former BiharMinister Mr mahabir
Choudhury lost at nawada.

      The SJP too was yet to open its account in bihar. More

Newdel

      when asked about the dual image of the BJP as being
moderate and militant, Mr.Advani said the whole approach has
been the natural reaction to a measure of perversity
prevailing in the whole political atmosphere.

      He said the type of image of a militant organisation for
BJP was only an exercise in verbal violence and if it were not
there, it would have taken in the manifestation of physical
violence which, Mr. Advani said, was dangerous to society.

        He conceded that there were some 'aberrations' in
the strident campaigning style of the party which he always
tried to soften and chasten whenever such objectionable
slogans were raised in his meetings.

        He said that his approach  has all along been '
moderate and rational' and quipped that he would rather
prefer to be 'a peaceful militant' than anything else.

Newdel

JD and CPI (M) says it was upto Cong (I) to spell out stand
new Delhi, June 17 () the Janata Dal and the CPI(M)
today said that it was upto the Congress(I) to spell out its
stand on various issues if it wanted the support of the
national front-left front combine to form government at the
centre in case of a hung parliament.

      While the west Bengal Chief Minister, Mr. Jyoti Basu
ruled out the CPI(M) joining a coalition at the centre,
Mr.Ajit Singh, Janata Dal leader, said that his party was open
to ideas and that the +era of coalitions had come+.

      +We have been contacted by the Congress (I) + Mr Basu
added.
      In television interivews both leaders stressed that the
country could not afford to face another election soon and
that there were several grave probleMs facing India, which
required immediate attention.
      Mr. Basu also ruled out any split in the nf-lf combine,
while noting that it was necessary for the national front, the
left parties and the Congress(I) to +sit together and discuss
the situation+.
      +There is no question of an alliance. Question is how we
operate. The country is bankrupt and there are divisive
forces. We must discuss together ... How to get the country
out of this,+ the veteran CPI(M) leader said. (More)  vss nu sks
06180055 b

Hyderabad:

      Hyderabad, June 17 :: the ruling Congress(I) in
Andhra Pradesh conceded 14 Lok Sabha seats to the opposition
but was marching ahead by increasing its tally of wins to six
and was poised to win over 17 seats, where it had established
commanding leads.
      Of the results for 20 seats declared till midnight, tdp
bagged eleven, followed by Congress-isix, CPI, cpi(M) and BJP
one each.
      The notable win for Congress-itoday was the thumping
victory of Mr baga reddy, a former Minister, over his
immediate tdp rival Mr d ramakrishna. He retained the medak
seat, once held by late Mrs Indira Gandhi, with a margin of
over 1.60 Lakh votes.
      Mr baga reddy had the distinction of representing the
state assembly with an uninterrupted seven term before he was
elected to parliament in 1989.

Newdel
poll-support two
      Mr. Basu said that the CPI(M) polit bureau and central
committee -- the party's highest decision making bodies --
were meeting in the capital from June 20 to discuss the
situation.
      Stressing that +the Congress(I) should tell us what its
position is + in case it wanted nf-lf support, Mr. Jyoti Basu
said that the CPI(M) would extend support on an issue to issue
basis.
      Dismissing reports about the possibility of his becoming
the PrimeMinister, he said +i am not a superman. Only
collective leadership can take the country out of trouble.+
      +This is the problem with India that one man has been
taking all decisions,+ he added.
        Mr. Ajit Singh, echoing mr. Basu's views, said +the
ball is in the Congress(I) court. They have to decide what
they are going to do. Whether they want a minority
government or a coalition at the centre. They have to set
their house in order. Then we will consider it.+

Lucknow
up assembly position 0030hrs
assembly party position at 0030hrs
state: Uttar Pradesh seats: 425 declared: 131
party                 contested     won
1: BJP                   422        67
2: JD                    385        40
3: bsp                   389        08
4: inc                   424        10
5: CPI                   042        02
6: SJP                   414        02
7: CPM                   042        01
8: others                           01

Lucknow
ls up position 0030hrs
party position at 0030 hrs
state Uttar Pradesh         seats: 85       declared: 15
          (countermanded-three)
party                  contested        won
1: BJP                      85            08
2: JD                       75            05
3: inc                      83            02

Calcutta
      the BJP, which contested 292 seats has so far failed to
win a single seat, but it played havoc with the electoral
fortunes mainly of Congress-I candidates in the border
districts of coochbehar, Mrushidabad and nadia by securing
considerable number of votes.
      Even in constituencies like mayureswar-sc, rajNagar-sc,
and rampurhat in birbhum district it secured the second spot
relegating the Congress-ito third position, while its all
round percentage increase, though exact figures were yet to
come in.
      An example of its performance can be provided with the
party securing 38.50 Per cent of the votes in mayureswar-sc,
baduria- 15.59 Per cent, diamond harbour- 19.19 Per cent, and
nawadah --17.56 Per cent, which points to its emerging as a
third force in the state for the first time.  pc pkc mgr
rkm
06180106 b

Calcutta
poll-mamata
mamata wins by over 93,000 votes
      Calcutta, June 17 () the west Bengal youth
Congress(I) president, Ms. Mamata banerjee, inflicted a
drubbing defeat to Mr. Biplab Dasgupta(CPM) in the Calcutta
(south) parliamentary constituency by a margin of 93,663 votes
tonight.
      Ms. Banerjee Polled 367896 votes as against 274233 votes
secured by Mr. Dasgupta.

End of First article
====================

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 00:50:21 +0530
===================================

Newdel:
=======

poll ld fatehpur two
      the deputy election
commissioner, dr r p bhalla, said the commission decided to announce the
result after an inquiry into the allegations made by Congres-iand
Bahujan Samaj party (bsp) leaders contending that some empty ballot
boxes and torn ballot papers had been found outside the counting centre.

Lucknow:
poll-count-nightld up
Congress-ifaring badly in up assembly elections

      lucknow, June 17 (PTI): the Uttar Pradesh assembly
election resu\ts by mid-night today indicate a rout of the
Congress-iin the state.

      The Congress-i, having 94 seats in the last assembly,
has bagged only ten of the 131 results declared so far.

      The main battle is thus confined to the Bharatiya Janata
party (BJP) and the Janata Dal (JD). The bjp has established a
clear lead over JD by securing 67 seats. The Janata Dal has
got 40 seats.

      The remaining seats are divided among the Bahujan Samaj
party (8) CPI (2) and the Samajwadi Janata Dal (2), the cpi-m

Patna
=========
      JD, allies further consolidate position

      Patna June 17 (PTI) the Janata Dal and its allies
further consolidated their position in Bihar by bagging 21 out
of 25 seats results for which were declared till 2330 hours
and leading by handsome margin in over a dosen seats.

      The last result from maharajgunj went into the JD'w
kitty to increase its tally to 12 when Mrs girija Devi humbled
the unuon Minister and the SJP candidate, Mr ram bahadur Singh
by 24,335 votes. The jmm got five seats, the CPI three and the
CPI(M) one.
      Trends from the remaining seats showded that the
opposition leader, dr jagannath mishra, who had established a
slender lead in the initial stage, trailed behind his veteran
CPI opponent, Mr bhogendra jha, by over 14,000 votes at the
second round of counting.

      The BJP tally stood at four while the Congress-iand SJP
were yet to draw first blood.

Newdel
=======
poll ld fatehpur three last

      the results in Mr v p Singh's constituency were withheld
following a direction by the election commission not to
announce the verdict till a proper inquiry was conducted into
the alleoations.

      Dr bhalla had said the results would not be announced
till the report of the presiding officer of the counting
centre, the sector Magistrate and the concerned election
officials was obtained to the satisfaction of the commission.

Ludhiana
Punjab-sahay
sahay says postponement of Punjab polls will be 'disastrous'
      ludhiana, jun 17 (PTI) the Minister of state for home,
Mr subodh kant sahay, today said postponement of the Punjab
elections by the new government will prove +disastrous+.
      Addressing a news conference here, Mr sahay said the new
government should not create any uncertainty in this
connection as the state was going to the polls after a long
gap.
      There was a clear division between pro-democratic and
damaging forces, he said.
      He asked the Punjab government to be more vigilant in
the coming days.

Newdel
2ndlDall poll
Cong(I) maintains lead: hung parliament likely

      New Delhi,June 17 (PTI):- the Congress(I) maintained its
steady lead in the Lok Sabha polls having won 183 of the 371
seats till tonight amidst indications that the outcome may
well be a hung parliament.

   The BJP with 83 seats is in the second position
while Janata Dal which came to power in the 1989 polls,
came a poor third with 32 seats followed by CPIm with 22,
CPI with five ,telugu desam and AIADMK with 11 each.

      Congress(I) faces an uphill task in reaching the magic
figure of 256 for an absolute majority requiring another 78
out of the 162 results due, most of them from up and bihar
where the party is faring badly.

   Congress(I) which was lagging behind the telugu
desam after the counting for the 17 seats that went
to polls in the first round appeared to be bouncing back into
reckoning with counting for 24 seats that went to polls in the
second phase that followed the assassination of Mr.Rajiv
Gandhi being taken up today.

      The telugu desam party was leading with eleven seats,
followed by the Congress(I) with five, CPI, cpi(M) -- both tdp
allies -- and the BJP one each after results for 19
constituencies were announced.
      Though way behind tdp, Congress(I) is well set to win a
majority of the remaining 22 seats having established
commanding leads in them.

End of second article
=====================

(Pranna Roy's news analysis has been deleted since it is an 'analysis'
not 'news'.)

Newdel
======
      New Delhi, June 17 the election commission will
issue the due constitution notification for the tenth Lok
Sabha containing names of the elected candidates on June 19.

      The deputy election commissioner, Mr d s bagga, told
newsmen said that the notification would be issued under
section 73 of the representation of the people's act after
receiving reports from the chief electoral officers of the
states regarding names of elecTed representatives.

      The president, Mr r venkataraman, has set June 20 as the
date for the constitution of the tenth Lok Sabha.

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 00:12:20 +0530

Bombay
======

      Bombay, June: in a major triumph, the Congress-i
in Maharashtra has strengthened its position by capturing 37
seats, including four in the metropolis, wiping out the Janata
Dal, reducing the BJP to half its strength and checkmating the
Shiv Sena at four in the 10th Lok Sabha polls.

      The party-wise position is : Congress 37, BJP five, Shiv
Sena four and CPI-m one. The poll in nanded constituency was
countermanded following the death of a candidate.

      The Congress-istole a march over its main rivals in
four of the skx constituencies in the city and consolidated
its positkon without giving any chance to the opposition to
score over it.

      However, in the Bombay north and bombay south-central
constituencies, BJP's nominee Mr ram naik and Shiv Sena
candidate Mr mohan rawale won respectively, defending their
citadels.

Newdel
======
results-Congress 4 last

      Mr mukherjee had a dig at the BiharChief Minister, mr
Lalu prasad Yadav, saying his +technology of conducting
elections+ was the main factor for the good showing of the
Janata Dal in the state.

      When asked wehther the party performed below
expectations in Andhra Pradesh where the telugu desam was
regaining some of the seats, Mr mukherjee said + the results
are not not quite discouraging

Newdel
======
      New Delhi, June 17: a 14 per cent swing in voting
helped the Congress-(I) to bag seven out of nine seats in the
second phase of polling in rajasthan on June 12 -- three weeks
after the assaswination of Mr Rajiv Gandhi.

      In the first phase of the polling, held prior to the
assassination on may 20, congress-(I) got only six out of 16
seats.
      For this, Congress-(I) had a swing of five per cent in
voting compared to its voting percentage in these seats in
1989 election, a PTI modi-olivetti computer analysis shows.
      The Congress-(I), which drew blank in 1989 elections,
got 13 seats -- taking away seven seats from Janata Dal, five
from the BJP and one from the CPI-m.
      The Congress-(I) was able to get 44.10 Per cent of the
popular votes for 13 seats it won compared to BJP's 12 seats
for 41.03 Per cent.

End of fourth artilce
=====================
From: ramani@shakti.ernet.in Mon Jun 17 22:39:23 1991
From: ramani@shakti.ernet.in
Subject: PTI News Report passed on by NCST, Bombay
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 03:15:20 +0530

Madras
======

      Further, the expectation that the vanniar sangam
(backward class organisation) backed pattali makkal katchi
(pmk), leading the third front in the state, might pull of
quite a few electroal surprises this time were belied.

      In some assembly segments particularly in north Tamil
Nadu the pmk came a respectable second but in several other
assembly constituencies elsewhere in the state pmk men
forfeited their deposits.

      Only the former Tamil Nadu Minister, Mr S Ramachandran
of the pmk could win in approximately 1000 votes margin from
the panruti constituency in the south arcot district.

Calcutta
========
      Calcutta, June 17: the ruling left front in west
Bengal, which has already won the state assembly elections,
successively for fourth consecutive term, was heading for a
landslide majority again in the Lok Sabha poll, securing 19 of
the 24 seats out of 42 constituencies, results of which were
available till 0q30 hours tonight.

      As the counting progressed at a very slow pace, front
candidates have established substantial leads in almost all
the remaining constituencies.

      Of the 19 left front seats, 16 went to its major partner
CPI(M), two to rsp and one forward bloc.

      The front's arch rival the Congress(I), while failing to
come out of its losing spell in this state of left bastion,
had the consolation of improving its performance by one more
seat from that of 1989 when its score was a meagre four .
Ed : pick up suitably from poll-ld wb series cal83,84 and 85)

Guwahati
========
poll result lDall asm
Congress(I)'s gains significant Guwahati June 17 the Congress (I)
was making significant gains in assam, bagging eight of the
18 assembly seats, the results for which were declared so far.

      The secretary general of the autonomous state demand
committee (asdc), dr jayanta rongpi, won the autonomous
district parliament seat defeating former union Minister and
Congress (I) nominee, Mr biren Singh engti.

      Prominent among the Congress (I) winners were the former
Chief Minister and apcc (I) president, Mr hiteswar saikia,
from the nazira assembly seat, Mr g c langthasa from haflong
and Mr jahirul islam from mankachar assembly seat.

      The Congress (I) was leading in 13 other assembly seats
including barsola, rangapara, dhekiajuli, mazbat, abhayapuri
(north), abhayapuri (south) and thowra.

      The CPI state secretary general, Mr promod gogoi, won
the sibsagar assembly seat.

Madras
======
Madras, June 17: sivarasan alias raghu alias raju,
the key suspect in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case was
also believed to have been responsible for the killing of
eelam peoples revolutionary libeation front (eprlf) leader, Mr
padmanabha, and 12 of his colleagues in Madras last year,
investigators probing the Rajiv assassination case said.

They told PTI that sivarasan, who was on the run and had
been sighted in and around Madras, had planned and helped the
execution of the gory murders of the eprlf leaders in a flat
in kodambamkkam here.

      Sivarasan was said to be a sri lankan,hailing from
Jaffna, they said.

End of fifth artilce
====================
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 09:45:46 +0530
=====================================

      Ballia June 18: the Prime Minister, Mr.
Chandrashekhar, was today leading by over 43,000 votes over
his Congress (I) rival, Mr. Jagannath Chaudhury, in his Ballia
parliamentary constituency.

      The Ballia result is expected late this afternoon.

Chandigarh June 18 - following is the final Haryana
assembly party position:-

total seats         90
results declared    90
Cong-i             51
Samajvadi Janata party: 16
har vikas party       :12
Janata Dal            :3
BJP                   :2
bsp                   :1
independemts          :5

End of sixth article
==================
From ramani@shakti.ernet.in Tue Jun 18 00:54:15 1991
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 10:16:06 +0530
From: ramani@shakti.ernet.in
Apparently-To: gaddam@remus.rutgers.edu

------- Blind-Carbon-Copy

To: gnreddy@cbnewsf.att.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 10:16:06 +0530
From: ramani

CALCUTTA
POSITION WB PTI
ST POSITION WB 0930 HRS PTI

STATE:   WEST BENGAL   SEATS:  294  SEATS DECLARED: 291

PARTY             CONTESTED            WON
CPM                  212               182
RSP                   23                18
CPI                   12                 6
FBL    F               3                 2
IND AND ORS                              6
BJP                   292                -
INC                   284               42
END

HYDERABAD
POLL AP TREND
CONGRESS-I IMPROVING IN A P
      HYDERABAD, JUNE 18 (PTI) THE RULING CONGRESS-I HAS
BAGGED TEN OF THE 25 SEATS DECLARED SO FAR AND IS POSTED TO
IMPROVE ITS POSITION AS THE TRENDS INDICATE THAT IT IS LEADING
COMFORTABLY IN 14 CONSTITUENCIES.
      THE CONGRESS-I HAS RETAINED THE PRESTIGIOUS KHAMMAM
SEAT--EARLIER REPRESENTED BY MR J VENGALA RAO WHO OPTED OUT OF
THE RACE ON HEALTH GROUNDS THIS TIME-- BESIDES MEDAK AND
ANAKAPALLE WHICH WAS WON BY JUST NINE VOTES IN 1989.
      THE TELUGU DESAM, HOWEVER, WRESTED THE VISAKHAPATNAM
SEAT FROM MS UMA GAJAPATHI RAJU BY A MARGIN OF 3,000 VOTES.
THE HIGHEST MARGIN SO FAR REGISTERED WAS IN MEDAK WHERE
CONGRESS-I CANDIATE MR M BAGA REDDY RETAINED THE SEAT BY
TROUNCING HIS TDP RIVAL BY A MARGIN OF OVER 1.6 LAKH VOTES.
      ACCORDING TO TRENDS AVAILABLE, THE CONGRESS-I IS LEADING
IN ALL THE SEATS IN THE RAYALASEEMA REGION AND IN BOBBILI,
WHICH WAS WON BY TDP DURING THE PREVIOUS ELECTION.
      SO FAR THE TDP HAS WON 12, WHILE CPI, CPM AND BJP GOT
ONE EACH.

CALCUTTA
LS POSITION WB-0930 HRS PTI

STATE: WEST BENGAL: SEATS: 42      DECLARED SEATS: 34
PARTY      CONTESTED         WON
CPM          30               23
FBL           3                2
RSP           4                4
INC          41                5
BJP          42                0

NEWDEL
LS RESULT UP
      NEW DELHI, JUN 18 (PTI) MR MANABENDRA SHAH OF BJP HAS
BEEN DECLARED ELECTED FROM TEHRI GARHWAL, CHINMOYANAND FROM
BADAUN AND RAMBADAN OF JD FROM LALGANJ, ACCORDING TO ELECTION
COMMISION SOURCES HERE TODAY.

END OF  NEWS