[rec.radio.amateur.packet] WIRELESS-DIGEST: Week ending 6/1/91

stu@tandem.com (Stuart G. Phillips) (06/04/91)

describes how to subscribe and post.

The WIRELESS mailing list is moderated by Stuart Phillips and Kevin Rowett.

From: Stuart G. Phillips <stu@tandem.com>
Subject: Effects of multi-path propagation

There have been several recent papers (I can dig out the references if
anyones interested) both as submissions to the IEEE 802.11 committee and
the IEEE Trans. Comm on the amount of jitter caused by multi-path
distortion.  Some of the work has been done by the cellular folks, the
rest by those working on Wireless LANs.

Although the cellular folks were working over terrestial paths of a few
kilometers and the WLAN folks over a few tens of meters, the results are
remarkably similar.  Multi-path distortion results in jitter between
100 and 200 nS.

A good analysis of the effects of muli-path propagation on jitter can be
found in IEEE 802.11/91-3 (Radio System multipath propagation analysis
leading to possibilities for mitigation - Chandos Rypinski).

To cut a long story short, multipath propagation results in two distinct
problems - fading and intersymbol distortion.  Some of the effects can
be overcome by diversity reception (using two or more antennas) but there
seems to be a fundamental issue.  Given 100-200 nS of jitter it would
seem to suggest that Wireless LANs are restricted in bandwidth to
something between 256 Kbps and 1 Mbps (assuming a jitter to data period
ratio of 10:1 or similar).

The simplest way to reduce the effects of multi-path propagation is to
use optical (line of sight) paths with narrow beamwidth antennas.  I
suspect this is partly how Motorola gets its claimed bandwidth (being
at 18 GHz probably helps too :-) !

There are several products on the market that claim higher bandwidths
than my postulated 256 K - 1 Mbps range.  It would be interesting to
see the results of some field trials and the types of BER that result.

Does anyone have any results they would share or any comments (rebuttals
are fine too !) on the limitations on bandwidth resulting from multi-path ?

Stuart

BTW, the WIRELESS mailing list is now some 80 folks strong as of today !

From: "Jonathan M. Zweig" <zweig.PARC@xerox.com>
Date: 	Tue, 28 May 1991 10:12:35 PDT
Subject: Re: Effects of multi-path propagation

What is the characterization of the 100-200 nS jitter? When I use the term
jitter (I usually work in internetworking) I mean it as something like "the
uncertainty in how long it will take a packet to reach its destination." That
is, it may take 100 mS with a 20 mS jitter (whether this means 80/120 or
90/110 as the limits is another issue) to get through.

But in radio, I think the term might mean something else....

Anyway, intuitively it seems like in a given setup without fast-moving
reflectors and RFI sources and all, that the signal will settle down to a
particular standing-wave interference pattern and what you get is what you
get.  I don't see how, say, a 4 MHz sine-wave (or 4 GHz for that matter) would
arrive as anything other than a 4 MHz something-wave made up of all the
different phase/attenuation values from the multiple paths.  That is, I can't
see my bit-stream getting overlaid with itself differently at different times,
so once I get a signal that works, it works for a long (i.e. many bit-times)
time.  I can see how having the bit time be less than the difference between
the signal propagation times for the major signal paths would make things
unhappy -- but I would guesstimate that with 100-200nS difference (which sure
as heck can't happen if the signal only goes 30-50 feet!) you could push it to
5 MHz without too much fuss.

But then again, I'm no radio engineer....

-JohJonnhnyn MulMtultipaiptahth

From: bear@tcs.com (h.w. neff)

#
# >From zweig@parc.xerox.com Tue May 28 10:14:49 1991
#
# -JohJonnhnyn MulMtultipaiptahth
#

effects ?- why, as with the quoted post, you see more than one copy
   of the information.
effects ?- why, as with the quoted post, you see more than one copy
   of the information.

8^)
8^)

levity quota now expired.

ttfn,
bear.

Date: Tue, 28 May 91 22:52:11 PDT
From: Stuart G. Phillips <stu@tandem.com>
Subject: Re: Effects on multi-path propagation

Jonathan Zweig <zweig.PARC@xerox.com> writes...
>What is the characterization of the 100-200 nS jitter? When I use the term
>jitter (I usually work in internetworking) I mean it as something like "the
>uncertainty in how long it will take a packet to reach its destination." That
>is, it may take 100 mS with a 20 mS jitter (whether this means 80/120 or
>90/110 as the limits is another issue) to get through.
>
>But in radio, I think the term might mean something else....

Well now.... think of the time it takes a bit to propagate from transmitter
to receiver; in actuality not much different from Ethernet.  Signals (RF or
otherwise) propagate at the speed of light (300 E6 m/s) in free space or
at about 0.6 C (C= speed of light in a vacuum aka free space) on a cable
(this modification ratio is called the velocity factor of the cable and
is quoted by the manufacturer).  Since we're talking wireless here, consider
the physical length of a bit - at 10 Mbps, one bit period is 30 meters
long (think of it as a wave train).  Another way to think of it is that the
bit takes 100 nS to travel 30 meters.

Now think about the effects of multi-pathing; since we're dealing with RF
from an antenna there will be several paths traversed by the wave train -
the direct (sometimes called optical) path and reflections caused by the
floor, ceiling, furniture, people .....  Rypinski's paper says that
a path difference of 0.1 times the bit length (or 3 meters) begins to
cause fading while more causes inter-symbol distortion.

Think of the wave train over the optical path; the bit takes 100 nS to
propagate from start to finish.  A reflected component of the wave train
shows up some delta time later (delayed by travelling a greater distance)
and finishes correspondingly later.  The late arrival causes the relected
component to "smear" into the next bit period.  If the time delay is
greater than 0.1 times the bit period it begins to corrupt the next
bit or symbols worth of data.  The effect is similar to phase induced
jitter since it creates an area of uncertainty at the beginning of the
bit.

Such jitter can occur over short paths (< 10 meters) and so creates
problems running at high speeds (back to my assertion of jitter not
exceeding 1/10 the bit period).

Sorry for the long reply but this is an example of the problems facing
the marriage of data comm and rf technology that gave rise to this
list (BTW now over 120 strong !).

Stu

From: Andrew Myles <andrewm@avalon.mqcs.mq.oz.au>
Subject: References
Date: Thu, 30 May 91 11:40:05 EST

G'day all,

Here are some references that I have already typed in to get things rolling:

1)      John Craick, Telecom Australia,  "The Paperless, Wireless, Peopleless
        Office: Human, Organisational and Social Issues", Telecommunications
        Journal of Australia Vol. 39, No. 3, 1989

2)      Dr John Ellershaw, Telecom Australia, "The Paperless, Wireless,
        Peopleless Office: Technology Trends in the Office",
        Telecommunications Journal of Australia Vol. 39, No. 3, 1989

3)      Malcolm H. Ross, Arthur D. Little International,  "The Paperless,
        Wireless, Peopleless Office: The Future Prospects for the Wireless
        Office" Telecommunications Journal of Australia Vol. 39, No. 3, 1989

4)      Alistair Fraser, Telecom Australia, Mike Buchanan, Communication
        Solutions, "The Paperless, Wireless, Peopleless Office: Telecom And
        the Value Added Services Evolution", Telecommunications Journal of
        Australia Vol. 39, No. 3, 1989

5)      P. Bernhard, Telecom Australia, "The Paperless, Wireless, Peopleless
        Office: Laying the Foundations of The Office Of the '90s",
        Telecommunications Journal of Australia Vol. 39, No. 3, 1989.

E-Mail:         andrewm@avalon.mqcs.mq.oz.au || andrewm@mpce.mq.edu.au
In-Real-Life:   Andrew Myles
                Electronics Discipline,
                School of Mathematics, Physics, Computing and Electronics,
                Macquarie University,
                Sydney, Australia 2109.
Telephone:      +61 2 8058439 (W), +61 2 8058983 (Fax), +61 2 446315 (H).

Date: Wed, 29 May 1991 18:47 MST
From: Aaron Leonard <LEONARD@Arizona.edu>
Subject: NCR's spread-spectrum FCC request to be denied?

Stu:: We do however have a distinct shortage of
Stu:: contributions.

Well, this new addition to the Wireless mailing list won't
let his late arrival nor his lack of RF sophistication
prevent him from contributing ... so here goes ...

We've been looking at the NCR spread-spectrum PC transceiver
cards as a potentially handy way to do some metro-area
networking on the cheap.  (Our interest would be particularly
in using them in unidirectional mode ... getting a couple of
yagi antennas, finding a line of sight, and then use
PC-Bridge to extend our LANs via the spread-spectrum.)

The pluses would be cheap (around $5K for all the hardware),
quick to set up (supposedly no FCC approval a la microwave),
fast (200Kbps??), and good distance (up to 5 miles?)

However, I just heard a rumor that the FCC is "on the verge"
of denying NCR's petition to use that range of spectrum for
its spread-spectrum application.  Supposedly the transceivers
were only being allowed to operate in "experimental" mode,
and supposedly the FCC is going to pull the plug on the
experiment within the next couple of weeks.

1) Can anyone who knows more than I do (that is, anyone who
knows anything at all) report on the FCC status of NCR's
spread-spectrum products?

2) If the spread-spectrum stuff looks like a go FCC-wise,
would anyone care to remark on the suitability of the NCR (or
other) spread-spectrum transceivers for bridged or routed
Ethernet?

Thanks,

Aaron

Aaron Leonard (AL104), <Leonard@Arizona.EDU>
University of Arizona Telecommunications, Tucson AZ 85721

Date: Thu, 30 May 1991 08:41 EST
From: "John D. Balogh, PSU OTC, 814.863.1252" <JDB@ecl.psu.edu>
Subject: GUNNplexers for LAN use?
To: wireless@tandem.com

I just received a question from one of our student employees about the use
of GUNNplexers (10.2GHz typically-HAM-Radio-only device) for extending an
ethernet between two buildings that don't have fiber yet.

Any experience with these beasts?

I read articles about these devices in "QST" and "Ham Radio" more than 5
years ago. Seems that they would be great for short-distance (less than
500 meters) line-of-sight wide-bandwith (more than the usual audio 4KHz)
applications. Just brew up an IF strip that has 20MHz bw and provide the
appropriate signaling on an FM detector so that collision detect wasn't
a problem, and away you go!

As I recall, they are quite temperature sensitive, but that can be overcome
with a styrofoam 6-pack cooler and a lightbulb/dimmer circuit.

Any suggestions are (probably) appreciated.

John Balogh, Data Engineer                     | Usual disclamers apply.
-----                                          +---------------------------
Penn State, Office of Telecommunications       | Your mileage may vary.
Internet: JDB@ECL.PSU.EDU                      | Eat lots of fruit.
Bitnet: JDB@PSUECL.BITNET                      | Be nice to your neighbors.
AT&Tnet: +1 814 863-1252 (with voicemailgizmo) | Keep the time :-)
Fax: +1 814 863-4092                           | Use standards.
SNAILmail: 205 Pine, Univ. Park, PA  16802     | Push for Interoperability.

From: scoggin@delmarva.delmarva.COM (John Scoggin)
Subject: Motorola Altair System
Date: Thu, 30 May 91 7:45:46 EDT

Does anyone on this mailing list have the Motorola Altair wireless Ethernet
installed?  If so, how is it managed?  SNMP, proprietary, or not-at-all?
(don't laugh - we have a Motorola Computer-Aided Dispatch System which is
one or the most poorly designed systems on the planet, from a network
management standpoint!)

Also, how has reliability been?  Comparable to hard-wired.  How about
intereference from terrestrial 2GHz microwave?

Thanks --

John K. Scoggin, Jr.
Supervisor, Network Operations		Phone:  (302) 451-5200
Delmarva Power & Light Company		Fax:	(302) 451-5321
500 N. Wakefield Drive			Email:	scoggin@delmarva.com
Newark, DE  19714-6066

From: Ron Gershon <gershon@vis.toronto.edu>
Subject: A question about this newsgroup
Date: 	Thu, 30 May 1991 09:43:04 -0400

Hi.

Just wondering if this newsgroup applies to powerline communications as
well. We, at Adaptive Networks, have developed yet another wireless
communication solution using the AC powerline, and offer LANs using this
module. Therefore I would be interested to know whether the membership
of this newsgroup is interested in this medium.

Thanks.

Ron Gershon
Adaptive Networks Ltd.

From: Ron Gershon <gershon@vis.toronto.edu>
Subject: Info on Adaptive Networks' powerline communication products
Date: 	Thu, 30 May 1991 12:07:32 -0400

I didn't know my message will be posted directly to the list, nor did
I anticipate a lot of responses, so let me summarize what Adaptive
Networks has to offer.

Ron.

Adaptive Networks' patented AN192 technology transmits data at an
effective throughput of 19.2 Kbps over powerlines with the reliability of
dedicated communications wiring. Designed into OEM products, it allows
them to network over existing powerlines, thus eliminating the cost and
hassle of installing wiring. An ISO standard for shipboard monitoring of
refrigerated cargo containers was awarded to Adaptive Networks in January
of this year over competing proposals from Westinghouse and NEC/Mitsubishi.

We provide board-level products, as well as self-contained standalones units.
In the 4th quarter of this year we will have a 2-chip set version of the
product.

Some of the current applications of the AN192:
	* School security system (time and attendance) in New York City
	* Shipboard monitoring of refrigerated containers
	* Materials handling through moving stacking cranes for storage
		and retrieval in an automated warehouse

Prices vary with quantities. For the 3" x 5" module (board), prices vary
from $650 per module for a quantity of 2, to $122 for quantities over 1000.
The standalone product is slightly more expensive. The 2-chip set is expected
to be in the double digit price range.

Product specifications:
	Network Configurations:
		* Token Bus
		* Master/Slave centrally controlled bus

	Powerline Interface:
		AN Isolation module protects against
		powerline surges and spikes

	Network Size:
		Up to 65534 nodes

	User-effective throughput:
		19.2 kbps

	Bit Error Rate:
		< 1 x 10^-9

	Size (of module):
		3.05" x 5.20" x 0.45"

	Power Requirements:
		Voltage: +5 VDC and  +/- 12 to +/- 15 VDC
		Consumption: 5 Watts typical

Head office (including Marketing):            Toronto office (R&D):
	P.O.Box 1020 					223 Tansley Rd.
	Kendall Square Branch				Thornhill, Ontario
	Cambridge, MA 02142-0999			Canada, L4J 2Y8

	(617) 497-5150					(416) 882-1922
	(617) 787-8168 (fax)				(416) 881-8429 (fax)

From: chk@alias.com (C. Harald Koch)
Subject: Re: Powerline <wireless> Lans ?
Date: Thu, 30 May 91 10:44:12 EDT

> From: Ron Gershon <gershon@vis.toronto.edu>
>
> Just wondering if this newsgroup applies to powerline communications as
> well. We, at Adaptive Networks, have developed yet another wireless
> communication solution using the AC powerline, and offer LANs using this
> module. Therefore I would be interested to know whether the membership
> of this newsgroup is interested in this medium.

How much noise does your network generate on the power lines? We already
have several problems with noisy power here, from a braindead digital clock
that runs at about 8 times realtime to random computer crashes. The experts
claim that this is all caused by excessive noise on the power lines.
Expensive power filters have solved the problem on our critical machines,
but we aren't rich enough to put filters on all our electrical appliances.

I'm quite skeptical about AC powerline networks (and control systems like
BSR) because of the problems caused by power line noise. Here's your chance
to change my mind... :-)

--
C. Harald Koch  VE3TLA                Alias Research, Inc., Toronto ON Canada
Internet:    chk@alias.com      chk@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu      chk@chk.mef.org

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 14:02:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Anders.Klemets@cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: NCR's spread-spectrum FCC request to be denied ?

> Supposedly the transceivers
> were only being allowed to operate in "experimental" mode,
> and supposedly the FCC is going to pull the plug on the
> experiment within the next couple of weeks.

Sounds like complete baloney to me, unless you are talking about some
NCR product other than the WaveLAN.

The WaveLAN's have a sticker that says "FCC ID: IMR915RLAN-1."
They operate at 2 Mbit/s on the 900 MHz band.
I have a BSD UNIX style driver for them that I run on Mach 2.5. FTP
gives a throughput of 120 kbyte/s at best. Just shipping UDP packets
gives a throughput of 130-150 kbyte/s on average.
Performance worsens if one tries to run more than two WaveLANs at the
same time, as might be expected.

I can make the driver source code available to anyone who has a MACH
source license. And I would be interested in knowing whether someone has
written an MSDOS packet driver for the WaveLAN.

Anders

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 14:36:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: Anders.Klemets@cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Fwd: NCR Unveils WaveLan Network

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 13:26:03 -0700
From: matthew@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Matthew Kaufman)
Subject: Re: GUNNplexers for LAN use ?

I've been thinking about this very thing myself. One should note
that amateur regulations on content are very restrictive, but
it seems like a device operating under the new FCC Part 15
intentional radiator rules on 24 GHz should work pretty well.
24 GHz is more affected by atmospheric water vapor and the power
limitation is 250 microvolts/meter measured at 3 meters, but it
seems that a short hop wouldn't be too difficult. The trick is
to build a receiver that can run at 10 MBps, of course, so the
microwave tranceiver can be used with standard ethernet hardware
instead of some sort of custom modem card or even T1, which are more
expensive.
Low power (1-2 mW) 24 GHz gunn tranceivers can be had for about $70 new
and modulation is trivial, especially on those tranceivers with varactor
diode modulators, so if the cost of the IF/demod hardware could be
kept low, this might be one of the cheapest wireless network solutions
available

-matthew kaufman
 matthew@ucscb.ucsc.edu, or,
 kaufman@apple.com
From: scoggin@delmarva.delmarva.COM (John Scoggin)
Date: Thu, 30 May 91 17:32:27 EDT

>> From: Ron Gershon <gershon@vis.toronto.edu>
>>
>> Just wondering if this newsgroup applies to powerline communications as
>> well. We, at Adaptive Networks, have developed yet another wireless
>> communication solution using the AC powerline, and offer LANs using this
>> module. Therefore I would be interested to know whether the membership
>> of this newsgroup is interested in this medium.
>
>How much noise does your network generate on the power lines? We already
>have several problems with noisy power here, from a braindead digital clock
>that runs at about 8 times realtime to random computer crashes. The experts
>claim that this is all caused by excessive noise on the power lines.
>Expensive power filters have solved the problem on our critical machines,
>but we aren't rich enough to put filters on all our electrical appliances.
>
>I'm quite skeptical about AC powerline networks (and control systems like
>BSR) because of the problems caused by power line noise. Here's your chance
>to change my mind... :-)
>
>--
>C. Harald Koch  VE3TLA                Alias Research, Inc., Toronto ON Canada
>Internet:    chk@alias.com      chk@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu      chk@chk.mef.org

I suspect that MOST of these problems may be related to equipment-generated
harmonic currents.  There was a recent bulletin to sites with multiple IBM
3090 mainframes relating to harmonics generated by these machines with their
MG sets causing MAJOR problems for UPS's.  We have seen this cuasing problems
with PC's and the like.

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 17:29:12 -0700
From: woody@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Bill Woodcock)
Subject: NCR Wavelanproduct line extended...

   ...to NetWare 3, and OS/2 at Comdex last week.  Also, they now support NDIS,
which is some kind of Microsoft standard that Vines and 3Com comply with.
They're shipping in December at $1,390 list.
This was on p.5 of Network World v.8, n.21.

                        -Bill Woodcock
                         BMUG NetAdmin

bill.woodcock.iv..woody@ucscb.ucsc.edu..2355.virginia.st..berkeley.ca.94709.1315

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 17:23:43 -0700
From: woody@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Bill Woodcock)

Here's a little news item I wrote a couple of days ago for the ANMA Journal:

Motorola Cuts Prices on Altair

In the third week of May, Motorola announced that the prices of its
Altair wireless Ethernet products were being cut by nearly three
quarters.  The suggested retail price for the Altair Control Module
has been dropped from $3,995 to $995, while the User Module went from
$3,495 to $995.

Subject: CSMA/CA - a standard?
Date: Thu, 30 May 91 08:25:33 PDT
From: Paul Congdon <ptc@hprnd.rose.hp.com>

Hello,

Both NCR and Proxim boast the use of CSMA/CA.  It sounds
almost like a standard.  Is there a description of the access
protocol, or is it totally propriatry?

Paul

+---------------------------------+------------------------------------+
+     Paul Congdon                +     Mail Stop:  R3NF2              +
+     Network Architecture Lab    +     Email: ptc@hprnd.rose.hp.com   +
+     8000 Foothills Blvd         +     Phone: (916) 785-5753          +
+     Roseville, CA   95678       +     Fax:   (916) 786-9185          +
+---------------------------------+------------------------------------+

Date: Thu, 30 May 91 19:46:44 EDT
From: Russ Nelson <nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>

   I can make the driver source code available to anyone who has a MACH
   source license. And I would be interested in knowing whether someone has
   written an MSDOS packet driver for the WaveLAN.

Alas, no.  NCR was supposed to send us a pair back in January, but we
haven't seen hide nor hair of them.  I've even called and bugged the
product manager about his promise, but he's always out of the office.
Maybe if more people call him and ask him for one.  His name is
Daryl Maddox, phone number is 513 445 1956.
-russ

From: Ron Gershon <gershon@vis.toronto.edu>
Subject: Re: noise introduced by powerline communication devices
Date: >Fri, 31 May 1991 10:50:27 -0400

C. Harald Koch (chk@dino.alias.com) asks:

> How much noise does your network generate on the power lines? We already
> have several problems with noisy power here, from a braindead digital clock
> that runs at about 8 times realtime to random computer crashes. The experts
> claim that this is all caused by excessive noise on the power lines.
> Expensive power filters have solved the problem on our critical machines,
> but we aren't rich enough to put filters on all our electrical appliances.
>
> I'm quite skeptical about AC powerline networks (and control systems like
> BSR) because of the problems caused by power line noise. Here's your chance
> to change my mind... :-)

Our technology employs advanced spread-spectrum techniques, incorporating
an adaptive/wideband approach and noise-immune networking protocols
specifically developed for handling worst-case powerline noise and
attenuation. We use the 150-400 kHz bands for our purposes, and our
transmission would seem like white noise to other systems. We put no more
than 1 Watt of power on the line. Consequently, none of the users of the
AN192s has ever complained of computers crashing as a result of the AN192
transmitting in their sites.

As for BSR and other systems, they do not offer bit error rates < 10^-9
as we do, and we have systems in the field to prove it. In fact, we are
currently developing a version which will be incorporated in a new commercial
automated electric utility meter reading network. This will definitely allow
for the use of the powerline as a communication medium, while recording
how much electricity is being used by all your electrical appliances...

Ron.

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 11:38:19 CDT
From: zawada@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Paul Zawada)
Subject: Re: Motorola Altair System

Well, we don't have the Altair system installed, but I had a Motorola
salesman here to demonstrate it.  I was skeptical that it was going to
work well, but I was really impressed!  It did everything they said it
would.  It was pretty transparent, like the wire was there.  It worked
through doors and down hallways very well.  (We did manage to push it
to the limit by trying to bounce the signal around two corners, but you
can only ask for so much...)

First of all, the Altair system is not protocol dependent.  Altair merely
forwards ethernet frames.  All it looks at is the ethernet addresses of
the hosts involved.  So if you have ethernet, Altair should work.
i.e. Altair dosen't care if you're running TCP/IP, Appletalk, OSI, etc.

One nice thing about the system is that the control module keeps track of
the ethernet addresses connected to each user module.  This allows it to
pass only necessary traffic accross the radio link. i.e. it works almost
like a smart bridge.  Traffic between hosts on the user module does not
get sent to the rest of the network.  Similarly ALL traffic on the control
module's ethernet does not get passed to the user modules.  Each user
module gets the traffic for the hosts attached to it.

As for system management, currently there is an RS232 port on the control
module.  Don't ask me what functions are available, since I did not get
a chance to play with that part of the system.  The salesman said that
SNMP was currently in the works.  I really don't know how much of an
issue this is, since the Altair system is pretty transparent.  It would
be nice to have SNMP, but since the devices are pretty much passive there
isn't much you need to monitor other than if the link is up or down.
(The user module has a green LED that blinks when it is searching for
its control module and glows steadily when the link is up.  So you can
tell if the connection is there or not, you just can't do it via the
network.)  Is there such a thing like SNMP for ethernet cable?

Remember, I only had this thing demonstrated for me.  I don't have one
installed. (yet)  If it always works as well as it did for me those two
hours, I would be more than satisfied!  Hope this gives you some more
info on the Altair system.

--zawada

__
Paul J. Zawada, KB9FMN         |"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings
zawada@ncsa.uiuc.edu           | to be seriously  considered as a  means of
Network Administrator          | communication.  The  device is  inherently
National Center for            | of no value to us..."
   Supercomputing Applications |            -Western Union memo, 1877

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 12:41:59 BST
From: "Pete Lucas, NCS-TLC, Holbrook House, Swindon" <PJML@ibma.nerc-wallingford.ac.uk>
Subject: Power-line LANs.

Much of the problem noise that affects these systems infact comes from
switched-mode powersupplies (as used in almost every PC!).
These rectify the AC line current, and due to the short conduction-time
of the rectifiers, often result in a significant 3rd-harmonic current
flowing down the supply mains.
Also, being in effect a power-oscillator, harmonics etc. of the switching
waveform get superimposed on the AC line.
In an environment where many switching powersupplies are used, the 3rd
harmonic current can approach (or exceed!) the total current drawn at
the fundamental frequency; particularly in 3-phase systems the current in
the nominally 'unused' neutral line can be greater than the sums of the
currents on the three phases.
This not only upsets the electric utility companies, but can seriously
screw up systems that use the AC line cabling for data transmission.
There is likely to be forthcoming European legislation limiting the
allowed amount of waveform distortion caused by electrical equipment;
makers of PCs etc. will have to fit better filtering.

          Pete Lucas PJML@UK.AC.NWL.IA    PJML%IA.NWL.AC.UK@UKACRL

Please use the following addresses for reply:          +     \/Natural
                                                       +    \/\Environment
JANET    : PJML@UK.AC.NERC-WALLINGFORD.IBMA            +   \/\/Research
Internet : PJML%IA.NWL.AC.UK@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK        +  \/\/\Council
EARN     : PJML%UK.AC.NWL.IA@UKACRL                    +  NERC Computer Services
RADIO    : G6WBJ@GB7SDN.GBR.EU  {144.650MHz}           +   Holbrook House
SPAN     : STAR::\PJML%IA.NWL.AC.UK@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK +    Station Road
PHONE    : +44 (0)793 411613                           +     SWINDON SN1 1DE
FAX      : +44 (0)793 411503                           +      GREAT BRITAIN

          Pete Lucas PJML@UK.AC.NWL.IA    PJML%IA.NWL.AC.UK@UKACRL

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 18:01:45 EDT
From: jdc@moscom.com (Jim Centanni)
Subject: Low Power No-License RF

Can someone please fill me in on the FCC requirements for low
power transmitters that do not require special FCC licenses?

At one time, no special licensing was required for transmitters
with an output power below 100 milliwatts. If this is still
valid, it might be possible to cover large facilities with
several transmitters, where a direct connection would be made to
each transmitter. Of course multi-path reception would become a
much bigger problem now if a receiving antenna could hear more
than one transmitter. However, it might still be worth looking
at.

Please advise restrictions, such as frequencies, ERP (effective
radiated power), modes of operation (switched carrier, AM, FM,
PSK, etc.), and other pertinent information, along with pros and
cons associated with this approach.

Jim Centanni
Moscom Corp.
(716) 385-6440

From: "Jonathan M. Zweig" <zweig.parc@xerox.com>
Subject: Re: CSMA/CD
Date: >Fri, 31 May 1991 15:10:26 PDT

I have been toying with the so-called hidden terminal problem, and have
written a tiny simulation that agrees with an analytic solution to the
following problem:

>Assume I have magic radios that have a 0 dB capture range; that
>is, a receiver is either in range of a transmitter or not. Further
>assume that the range is a fixed, constant distance.  If I have
>two randomly located stations that wish to transmit at me (i.e.
>they are both within range of me), what is the percentage likelihood
>that they will be within range of each other?

The question is of interest because whenever they are not within range of each
other, it is inconceivable that they could determine (via their receivers)
whether their transmissions to me are colliding -- they are hidden from each
other.

I won't bore the list with the math (the trick is to intersect the circle that
is within range of me with the circle that is within range of the first
station, then integrate the ratio of the intersection area to 2*pi for all the
distances between 0 and 1), but the answer that both the calculus gives me
(it's actually 3*sqrt(3)/4*pi) and the monte carlo simulation approximate is
0.586.

That is, 41% of the time (assuming the spatial distribution is uniform across
the circle that's within range of me) the two stations can't hear each other.
I thought that was an interesting number, and a bit higher than I would have
guessed.

So if anyone else out there is thinking about collision avoidance algorithms,
you can tattoo this on your arm.  Carrier sense is a waste of time in this
case.

(Of course it _isn't_ a waste of time in some cases of interest, such as
radios with nearly infinite range compared to the expected spatial
distribution of stations....)

-Johnny Hidden

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 00:29:05 -0700
From: woody@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Bill Woodcock)
Subject: Re: Low Power No-License RF

          jdc@moscom.com (Jim Centanni) writes:
        > Can someone please fill me in on the
        > FCC requirements for low power
        > transmitters that do not require
        > special FCC licenses?

    The following two tables should help you relate the products out there
    to the current FCC bandwidth allotments.  They're from a recent column
    I wrote, primarily on the Apple PCS proposal.

                            -Bill Woodcock
                             BMUG NetAdmin

    FCC-Approved Frequencies

    FCC Part 15.247: Unlicensed Spread Spectrum, 1.0W peak power.
    FCC Part 15.249: Unlicensed Low Power Radio, 0.75mW peak power.

        902.0-928.0MHz            26MHz total
        2,400.0-2,483.5MHz        83.5MHz total
        5,725.0-5,850.0MHz        125MHz total
        24.0-24.25GHz             250MHz total

    Device Specifications

        Vendor         Bandwidth      Throughput  Output        Range

        Cal. Microwave 902.0-928MHz   250Kbps     26MHz@1W      800-2700 ft.
        NCR            902.0-928MHz   2Mbps       26MHz@250mW   100-800 ft.
        Apple          1850-1990MHz   10Mbps      40MHz@1W      150-450 ft.
        Motorola       18.82-19.21GHz 10Mbps      2x50MHz@25mW  40 ft.

bill.woodcock.iv..woody@ucscb.ucsc.edu..2355.virginia.st..berkeley.ca.94709.1315

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 15:31:29 -0700
From: woody@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Bill Woodcock)

Motorola's Altair boxes are real.  NCR's WaveLan boxes are available now
for NetWare, I believe, and will be available for MicroChannel late this
year.  California Microwave's boxes are done, and waiting for FCC certification.