[rec.radio.amateur.packet] CDMA

wex@cs.ULowell.EDU (Paul Wexelblat) (06/19/91)

I am looking for pointers to an elementary description of how
CDMA works in practice;  I have seen simple example descriptions,
I have no idea, for example how many chips/bit occur in practice,
whate actual bandwidth is in the real world.

TNX,
	...Wex

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun18.175959.29344@ulowell.ulowell.edu> wex@cs.ulowell.edu writes:
>I am looking for pointers to an elementary description of how
>CDMA works in practice;  I have seen simple example descriptions,
>I have no idea, for example how many chips/bit occur in practice,
>whate actual bandwidth is in the real world.

	This will be difficult to find in the open press. A typical case
might be 500 chips/bit, and bandwidth between first nulls on the order of
10^8 Hz.

	You might want to check the latest issue of the IEEE Transactions
on Vehicular Technology, where Klein Gilhousen and other members of the
technical staff at Qualcomm, Inc. talk about their CDMA cellular system
(I haven't read my copy yet.)

--
Jeff Carroll		carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

"...and of their daughters it is written, 'Cursed be he who lies with
any manner of animal.'" - Talmud

dalyb@gtephx.UUCP (Brian Daly) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun18.175959.29344@ulowell.ulowell.edu>, wex@cs.ULowell.EDU (Paul Wexelblat) writes:
> I am looking for pointers to an elementary description of how
> CDMA works in practice;  I have seen simple example descriptions,

Two references presented at Globecom 90:

  W.C. Y. Lee, "Overview of Cellular CDMA"; also in May 1991 IEEE Transactions
  on Vehicular Technology.

  Gilhousen, Jacobs, Padovani, Viterbi, Weaver, Wheatley: "The Capacity of a Cellular
  CDMA System", also in May 1991 IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Tech. (and Globecom 90).

You may also want to check Lee's book "Mobile Cellular Telecommunications Systems".
I'm not sure if he covers CDMA.

--
Brian K. Daly WB7OML @ AG Communication Systems, Phoenix, Arizona
UUCP: {...!ames!ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!dalyb