[trial.talk.politics.peace] Peace?

v064lnev@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Zerxes Bhagalia) (02/06/91)

On August 2nd of 1990, Iraq waged war on a tiny middle-east nation.
The UN resolutions, and the actions the coaltion forces have taken
have been made to restore peace and equillibrium to the region.
The United States and its coaltion allies are waging war for peace.
Only war can fight war - as the age old expression goes, "fight fire
with fire."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Zerxes Bhagalia v064lnev (INTERNET: @UBVMS.cc.buffalo.edu / BIT: @UBVMS.bitnet)
(      -==-	 Bhagalia (INTERNET: @SYBIL.cc.buffalo.edu / BIT: NA           )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

matth@mars.njit.edu (Matthew Harelick) (02/06/91)

Peace ?
  This conflict has nothing to do with peace. This conflict exists for three
reasons:

     1. Keep Western control over the world oil supply.

     2. To Clean up a NATO foreign policy mess

     3. To secure a U.S. Presence in the region.

Fight for Peace ? All that is is a version of the Orwellian doublespeak statement : War is Peace, or even better, Ignorance is Bliss

jenkins@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Kent Jenkins) (02/07/91)

In article <2247@njitgw.njit.edu> matth@mars.njit.edu (Matthew Harelick) writes:
>Peace ?
>  This conflict has nothing to do with peace. This conflict exists for three
>reasons:
>
>     1. Keep Western control over the world oil supply.
>
>     2. To Clean up a NATO foreign policy mess
>
>     3. To secure a U.S. Presence in the region.

We're not there because Saudia Arabia asked, are we?  Nope, didn't think so.

We're also not there because the UN decided that something had to be done,
right?  It's all the US's fault.  Thought so.

Gee, I've been so warped by the media to think that these two were actually
true.

>Fight for Peace ? All that is is a version of the Orwellian doublespeak statement : War is Peace, or even better, Ignorance is Bliss

Like the Peace Activists who start violent rallys, eh?  (Or the Pro-War rallys
which aren't violent.)

Unfortunately, I agree.  We're not fighting for peace.  We're not fighting
exlusively for the three reasons listed, but it's not peace.  (What about "To
take back Kuwait for the Kuwaiti people"?  I'll bet you that quite a few US
soldiers believe in doing that, which MAKES it a reason.  It may be mislead,
but it's legit.)

rodney@dali.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.190535.11933@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> jenkins@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Kent Jenkins) writes:

>Like the Peace Activists who start violent rallys, eh?  (Or the Pro-War rallys
>which aren't violent.)

I was at the DC rally on the 26th -- there were more than 100,000 people and no violence.  You can't
say the same thing about your typical sporting event or concert with 100,000 people.

--
Rodney

gary@neit.cgd.ucar.edu (Gary Strand) (02/07/91)

> Matthew Harelick

> This conflict has nothing to do with peace.

  Yep. It's about justice and freedom.

> This conflict exists for three reasons:
>     1. Keep Western control over the world oil supply.
>     2. To Clean up a NATO foreign policy mess
>     3. To secure a U.S. Presence in the region.

  And these are the *only* three reasons, all others being mere rationaliza-
  tions, eh?

> Fight for Peace? All that is is a version of the Orwellian doublespeak
> statement : War is Peace, or even better, Ignorance is Bliss

  What good is peace without justice or freedom? The Soviet Union used to
  be peaceful, internally, (for the most part) but I guess that all those
  people who want freedom and justice over peace just have their heads up
  their collective arses, eh? Believe it or not, there are many people who
  prefer something else besides peace. As an old professor (an escapee from
  the Nazis, then the Communists in Poland and a decorated tank commander)
  used to say, "There is peace in a cemetary, there was peace in the camps."
  Or is there more to your "peace" than simply the absence of war? If so,
  then you're not telling us everything, and perhaps some of what your idea
  of "peace" entails might even preclude peace itself, at least for some
  period of time.
--
Gary Strand                           There is only one success -- to be able
Internet: strandwg@ncar.ucar.edu      to spend your life in your own way.

west@turing.toronto.edu (Tom West) (02/08/91)

In article <10211@ncar.ucar.edu> gary@neit.cgd.ucar.edu (Gary Strand) writes:
>> This conflict has nothing to do with peace.
>
>  Yep. It's about justice and freedom.
>
>> This conflict exists for three reasons:
>>     1. Keep Western control over the world oil supply.
>>     2. To Clean up a NATO foreign policy mess
>>     3. To secure a U.S. Presence in the region.
>
>  And these are the *only* three reasons, all others being mere rationaliza-
>  tions, eh?

  Much as many people would like to think otherwise, I fear 'tis so.  There are
a number of far worse situations that the U.S.A. has seen fit to ignore
completely, such as the occupation and subsequent attempt at genocide of
East Timor.

  This isn't to say that the U.N. intervention in Kuwait wasn't deserved.  But
to claim that the U.S. is fighting for peace and freedom and only coincidentally
fullfilling the above three notions while ignoring the rest of the world's
injustices (which coincidentally don't have any U.S. strategic value) is to
demonstrate astonishing naivity.

  It just happens that in this war, one can also claim a moral ground.  A big
help when it comes to getting support for a war like this.

  It's a little bit disturbing to see how many people have taken the gov't line
hook line and sinker.  I used to think that this might be the right war for the
wrong reasons.  Now I wonder.

					Tom West

gary@ncar.ucar.EDU (Gary Strand) (02/13/91)

>  Tom West
>> Gary Strand

   This conflict exists for three reasons:
   1. Keep Western control over the world oil supply.
   2. To Clean up a NATO foreign policy mess
   3. To secure a U.S. Presence in the region.

>> And these are the *only* three reasons, all others being mere rationaliza-
>> tions, eh?

> Much as many people would like to think otherwise, I fear 'tis so.

  The threat to Saudi Arabia, Israel and so on count for nothing? The record
  of Saddam in dealing with his neighbors and his own people doesn't matter?
  There is much more to the current conflict than blaming it all on the US
  and/or the West and/or NATO. Saddam himself actually carries the largest
  share of blame, because if he had withdrawn before the deadline, we would
  not be at war, probably. The final choice was left to him, and he made the
  wrong choice.

> There are a number of far worse situations that the U.S.A. has seen fit to
> ignore completely, such as the occupation and subsequent attempt at
> genocide of East Timor.

  Suppose we had entered into that episode and done the right thing. Does that
  mean that you personally would approve of the US' actions now? I doubt it,
  so the whole issue of what we did and didn't do in the past doesn't affect
  your current political views. It's a red herring/strawman.

> This isn't to say that the U.N. intervention in Kuwait wasn't deserved.
> But to claim that the U.S. is fighting for peace and freedom and only
> coincidentally fullfilling the above three notions while ignoring the rest
> of the world's injustices (which coincidentally don't have any U.S.
> strategic value) is to demonstrate astonishing naivete.

  I'm not saying that the US doesn't have other interests involved. But to
  claim that the *only* US interests are the "lower" ones is erroneous too.

  The whole point is that sometimes "peace", "justice", and "freedom" can
  conflict. If we wanted nothing but peace, then the Kuwaiti people would be
  suffering great injustices and have no freedom whatsoever. Similar claims
  can be made for many other situations in history. I for one do not hold
  "peace" per se as the highest possible value, because many peaceful places
  are some of the worst places that have ever existed, like the camps and the
  Gulag.

> It's a little bit disturbing to see how many people have taken the gov't
> line hook line and sinker.  I used to think that this might be the right
> war for the wrong reasons.  Now I wonder.

  It's also disturbing to see people reduce criticism to simple slogans that
  deny the complex underpinnings of the whole issue. There's much more to it
  than "No Blood For Oil", even though that makes a good soundbite. Perhaps
  a little skepticism toward *both* sides is in order.
--

hardt@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Dan Hardt) (02/19/91)

In article <10271@ncar.ucar.edu> strandwg@ncar.ucar.edu (Gary Strand) writes:
>  Suppose we had entered into that episode and done the right thing. Does that
>  mean that you personally would approve of the US' actions now? I doubt it,
>  so the whole issue of what we did and didn't do in the past doesn't affect
>  your current political views. It's a red herring/strawman.

This is a common point of view among war supporters, which I don't think
makes much sense.  The avowed U.S. argument is that we went to war based
on some general principles about violations of sovreignty, democratic principles,
etc.  The argument against this is not just that the U.S. has we been
_inconsisent_ about going to war to avenge such violations -- it would
be crazy to think that we should go to war whenever we judge that
some country violates these principles.  The point is, our policy
hasn't followed such a simple (and brutal) principle, and it never will.
The government just uses it to avoid a serious discussion of whether
we should be at war or not.

dan

gary@neit.cgd.ucar.edu (Gary Strand) (02/19/91)

>  Dan Hardt
>> Gary Strand

>> So the whole issue of what we did and didn't do in the past doesn't affect
>> your current political views. It's a red herring/strawman.

> This is a common point of view among war supporters, which I don't think
> makes much sense.

  It makes perfect sense when we are presented with a list of past US actions
  or inactions, with the taunt "We didn't do it before, why are we doing it
  now?"

> The avowed U.S. argument is that we went to war based on some general
> principles about violations of sovreignty, democratic principles, etc.  The
> argument against this is not just that the U.S. has we been _inconsisent_
> about going to war to avenge such violations -- it would be crazy to think
> that we should go to war whenever we judge that some country violates these
> principles.

  Why would it be crazy to go to war every time a given country violates these
  principles? If we really want to be the Good Guys, then we need to hold to
  our principles, and apply them continuously. Since we do not and have not,
  then what restrictions does that place on actions we take now and in the
  future? As I have argued, none.

> The point is, our policy hasn't followed such a simple (and brutal)
> principle, and it never will.  The government just uses it to avoid a
> serious discussion of whether we should be at war or not.

  No, the antiwar folks use it as some kind of "argument" against US action at
  any given time, when in fact the whole basis is specious.

  Again, suppose the US had strictly and completely followed the principles of
  fighting for democracy, territorial inviolability, and so on. Would you still
  be against the war? Of course. So, regardless of what principles the US has
  had, and whether or not we always stuck to them, you would not support the
  war. Thus, the argument is rendered a red herring.

--
Gary Strand                           There is only one success -- to be able
Internet: strandwg@ncar.ucar.edu      to spend your life in your own way.
Voicenet: (303) 497-1336                                 - Christopher Morley

matth@mars.njit.edu (Matthew Harelick) (02/19/91)

 Lets take a look at some of the excuses Bush uses for us to go to war:

   1. Iraq violated a foreign nation's right to sovereignty.

       The U.S. violated the sovereignty rights of Grenada, Panama, Liberia, Libya, and Iraq in the last six years.
       In the case of Panama , the U.S. overthrew an unfriendly government and kidnapped their leader.
       In the case of Iraq, we are demonstrating to Hussein that it is wrong to violate a nation's sovereignty by violating
       Iraq's sovereignty.

        The more apparent idea that the U.S. is illustrating is that there is a Western double standard that says that the NATO
        countries can invade other countries when they feel its necessary but this freedom is not allowed to third world nations.

   2. Iraq possesses a vast arsenal of biological and chemical weapons, and will be able to use his nuclear technology to build
      nuclear weapons, thereby becoming a danger to the region.

        Where did he get all of this technology? The French built his nuclear reactors, and the W. Germans built his bunkers and `
        sold him the Bio/Chemical weapons. The U.S. helped build up his forces to fight Iran.

        Hussein used these weapons on his own people , the Kurds, and NATO still continued to support him. All of a sudden Hussein
        makes a decision independently , against the wishes of George Bush and he becomes the World Enemy.

        When I stated a while back that this war is to clean up a NATO foreign policy mess, its the above point I am talking
        about. Our soldiers are going to be victims of  American and European BioChem weapons and technology. George Bush so
        boldly spoke about bring Hussein up on charges of War Crimes, he will have to bring NATO up on charges of aiding and
        abedding a War Crime.

   3. The United States is fighting to protect freedom and democracy.
       Yeah, right , this is the oldest one in the book. Saudi Arabia is not a democracy, neither is Kuwait, Jordan, or Syria.
       Israel is , however it would not be under attack by Iraq if the U.S. did not start bombing Baghdad.

        There are reports of brutality committed by Iraqi soldiers in Kuwait. This is only a short term situation and if someone
       is really interested in stopping brutality throughout the world, they should read the Amensty International book. This
       book has about 165 pages listing nations where torture goes on everyday. I don't see the U.S. intervening in all of these
       nations. In some cases the casualty rate of U.S. intervention would be lower than the number of soldiers injured before the
       ground war in the Persian Gulf.

       In addition if the U.S. was so interested in fighting for democracy, then we should have overturned the apartheid government
       of South Africa, which still continues to have a racist separatist government.

- More to follow in a while
    - Matt