[sci.optics] Making Your Own Microscopes

ghot@s.ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) (02/14/91)

I am reading books on how to make your own telescope. It occurs to me that I
haven't seen  books on how to make your own microscope. Are there any and are
there groups of amateurs devoted to this activity ?

Allan Adler
ghot@ms.uky.edu

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb14.051740.14508@ms.uky.edu> ghot@s.ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) writes:
>I am reading books on how to make your own telescope. It occurs to me that I
>haven't seen  books on how to make your own microscope. Are there any and are
>there groups of amateurs devoted to this activity ?

A new magazine called Science PROBE! (yeah, yeah,...the publisher thought it looked
good) aimed at amateur science enthusiasts has an article on how to make
van Leeuwenhoek-type microscope.  Glass, liquid, glass-liquid lens systems.

Looks like fun, actually.

As to making more sophisticated microscopes, you could probably develop a 19th-
century-Zeiss type microscope from that start pretty easily.  That would be
about the same scale of difficulty as making a small refractor, but smaller.

--
------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes

mvp@hsv3.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb14.051740.14508@ms.uky.edu> ghot@s.ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) writes:
>I am reading books on how to make your own telescope. It occurs to me that I
>haven't seen  books on how to make your own microscope. Are there any and are
>there groups of amateurs devoted to this activity ?

Amazing timing....  I just got the second issue of "Science Probe!",
and one of the articles is on building your own microscopes.  These
don't look anything like the traditional laboratory scope -- In fact,
they look remarkably like van Leuowenhook's (grotesquely mispelled)
original design.
--
"Ain't nothin' in the middle                  Mike Van Pelt
o' the road, 'cept a yellow                   Headland Technology/Video 7

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (02/15/91)

In article <7991@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:

>As to making more sophisticated microscopes, you could probably develop a 19th-
>century-Zeiss type microscope from that start pretty easily.  That would be
>about the same scale of difficulty as making a small refractor, but smaller.

You could also make a Cassegrain reflecting microscope easily:
It uses one large concave mirror and one small convex one, both spherical.
I have successfully made these from commercial mirrors. These
can get to numerical apertures of roughly 0.5.

Doug McDonald

                                    *
                                     *
                                      *
                                       *
                                       *
                                        *
                             *          *
                              *
            Object *          *                                        *Image
                              *
                             *
                                        *
                                        *
                                       *
                                       *
                                      *
                                     *
                                    *

pww@bnr.ca (Peter Whittaker) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb15.004101.10578@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:

>In article <7991@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:
>>
>>As to making more sophisticated microscopes, you could probably develop a 19th-
>>century-Zeiss type microscope from that start pretty easily.  That would be
>>about the same scale of difficulty as making a small refractor, but smaller.
>>

>You could also make a Cassegrain reflecting microscope easily:
>It uses one large concave mirror and one small convex one, both spherical.
>I have successfully made these from commercial mirrors. These
>can get to numerical apertures of roughly 0.5.

Pretty picture deleted......

I don't mean to be a grinch, and this is admittedly an alt. group, but
telescope and microscope design is not appropriate here....

--
Peter Whittaker      [~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~]   Open Systems Integration
pww@bnr.ca           [                          ]   Bell Northern Research

pww@bnr.ca (Peter Whittaker) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb15.145829.17885@bwdls61.bnr.ca> pww@bnr.ca (Peter Whittaker) writes:
>Pretty picture deleted......
>
>I don't mean to be a grinch, and this is admittedly an alt. group, but
>telescope and microscope design is not appropriate here....

Ooops, so sorry:  to those readers of  sci.astro,sci.optics,sci.bio:  this
was cross-posted to alt.books.technical (when the original book reference
was posted), but the discussion digressed quickly.

Hmmm, at least I wasn't the only one who failed to read the cross-post
list before jumping in.....   (humbly) let's all read it next time, okay?