[comp.sys.3b1] 3B1 Device Driver Dev. Guide update and ordering info

pusateri@duke.cs.duke.edu (Thomas J. Pusateri) (01/27/91)

>Does anyone have an OCR scanner, so we could just scan the printed
>guide (3B1 DEVICE DRIVER GUIDE) (and then proof-read it for scan errors)
>instead of typing it
>all in?  Or is the copy too low quality to make that a viable option?

Excuse me but I been waiting for an opportunity to put my new HP ScanJet+
and ACCU Scan OCR Software to work. I will offer to scan it in and tell
you what, I'll go ahead and format it while I'm at it. I can put it
in several forms, take your pick:

	Troff (ms macros, me macros, and possibly mm macros)
	LaTex (I hate this so I hope you don't pick this one)
		I can supply latex source and a .dvi file for
		you fortunate people who don't have tex.

	Postscript
		If all people want is postscript then I will probably
		use FrameMaker so it looks the best and I can reproduce
		AT&T's format the closest.

		However, picking either Troff or LaTex will in the end
		allow us to have postscript too. But either of the
		above two will allow formating for other printers as
		well if a person has the drivers.

What does everybody think?

Tom Pusateri
pusateri@nbsr.duke.edu (preferred)
pusateri@macbeth.cs.duke.edu

alex@umbc4.umbc.edu (Alex S. Crain) (01/28/91)

In article <38501@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

> One person asked about the "UNIX PC Device Driver Development Kit".  I
> have NEVER seen this "kit" and indications "suggest" it may never have
> been produced though there are related materials in the
> att7300/STORE/IHVDIAG+IN.Z and other files at osu-cis

	About the IHVDIAG stuff. For those in the dark about this, this
is the sources to diagnostincs disk, and is basically a *very* stripped
unix kernal. No process table, paging, etc but there are drivers for
the disk, console, tty port, etc, and these drivers all use the same
structures as the unix kernel (gdsw, etc).

	The code is pretty evil, and made even worse by the stub
functions for all the tests (the source is to the drivers, not the test code).
None the less, its a good start for people who want to hack on the
hardware, or write standalone applications. You could, for example,
use it to port minix, bsd, a standalone X server (the unix-pc as an Xterm),
a *fast* computer game, etc.

	I myself used it as the framework for a scheme based operating
system that runs at the hardware level. I've got a basic scheme kernel
with console I/O and a primitive filesystem interface for the floppy.
It needs more work (an editor, extend-syntax, graphics, etc) and should
be available in about 6 months.

#Disclaimer: Anyone who agrees  #                 Systems Programmer
#with me deserves what they get.#    University of Maryland Baltimore County